Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever tried making your own comic?

Options
  • 11-10-2003 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't since I was a kid but in the future, who knows?

This question is inspired by two very good humorous Irish-made comics I found in my local comic store - Mbleh! and Three Cheers for Mute Ingloriousness!(Parts 1&2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I tried it. I didn't get very far though because I drew a blank a few pages into it. The artwork wasn't too great because I had nothing to compare it to and most of the artistic skill I have is from drawing what I see rather than trying to think of something in my head. I've considered getting some of those books on how to draw comic characters, because apart from that all I can draw from thought is a realistic picture of a person.

As for the story, that's what I drew a blank on. I've sent in loads of different short parts to stories to the Marvel website. They were for the readers stories where you had to write your own short piece to the next part of like a 4 part story line. None of them ever went up on the wepage though. I was told once by a professional short story writer that I should take up short story writing, but it was never something I paid any more interest in.

But even now I would be interested in producing a comic book, wether it be force myself into the art, or the story writing or even just editing/producing. It would be a blast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Started this a while back. I will have time soon to get back to it (without the blog).
    Its a bit designery in-joke-y

http://www.spoiltchild.com/badspelling/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

As for the story, that's what I drew a blank on.

That's the most important part. Most really good comics, when you examine them, you see that the the story has been plotted very carefully. Usually, the story is written first, before any drawing is done.

In the third collected Sandman, they printed a script for one of the stories at the back. Basically, you see the ideas for each panel, the dialogue and the author's guidelines for the artist. (Gaiman writes the comics but different ppl do the art work and lettering.) He says himself that it's not a definitive way to write a script but it gives you a good idea of how much effort goes into each panel and the importance of the story having an overall direction.

Started this a while back. I will have time soon to get back to it (without the blog). Its a bit designery in-joke-y http://www.spoiltchild.com/badspelling/

The two drawn ones are really cool visually - they're bold and the lettering is easy to read (it's so annoying when lettering is blurred). The teddybear one is pretty funny, where he's on the escalalator at the end! - well, I've always found something hilarious about seeing cuddly toys in real-life situations -I thought the bits in Trigger Happy TV where they have ppl in cuddly toy suits getting beaten up were very funny but strangely poignant at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That teddy bear one is fantastic. Keep up the good work.

I used do a exceedingly amateurish comic based around the game Total Annihilation. Annihilarity still has quite a following and I get badgered periodically to update it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Hey those are really good. I think the art in 15 and 16 are excellent. Keep it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

I think i did some comics when i was 8. comics based on ninjas I wish could find them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I know a guy who made a very funny cartoon strip called "The Adventures of Kiwi the Kiwi"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm making a comic, the script is done, well i'm re-writing it to make everything nice and sexy, and my friend is in the process of drawing it.

my only issue is finding a decent publisher for this thing.. i've also got a animé-style movie written to tell the story in more detail... maybe one day this'll all take off :)

my only issue is finding a decent publisher for this thing..

I've seen photocopied comics made by locals on sale in Other Realms in Cork - it's not great but at least you get an audience.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by simu
    I've seen photocopied comics made by locals on sale in Other Realms in Cork - it's not great but at least you get an audience.

interesting... any information of dublin-based publishers (or pseudo-publishers) as the case may be ?

Well, I'd say these guys did all the photocopying etc themselves and then the comic store was nice enough to stock their stuff.

I know a comic made by some guy from Dublin which was done more profesionally , though. Here's the guy's site, you might get some info there: www.clamnuts.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rob in Sub-City on Exchequer Street owns an indie publisher called Atomic Diner who've published a few comics. Try your luck in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

i made this cartoon from a wee comic strip i drew when i was younger, it got changed a bit tho....

not really a comic, i know....

That's pretty cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Thats a nice piece of funny right there,

I tried, but i could never keep it brief, my stipd always ended up going into waaayyy too much detail, so i gave up, it was to much effort, and effort and lazy people dont go together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monkeymagic

Have written comics and still do. Beenw orking with Atomic Diner for a while Rob is a good bloke but derive most joy from my online comic and letting other people do the art, makes the whole process a dream lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by Figment
    Started this a while back. I will have time soon to get back to it (without the blog).
    Its a bit designery in-joke-y

http://www.spoiltchild.com/badspelling/

The teddy bear one is really good! Like simu (kinda) said, it's actually very poignant for some reason.

Also helps that I'm listening to Kid A (How To Disappear Completely) at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭iwhelan

Sancho coming soon.. here is a taster...

http://www.20000-leagues.com

Originally posted by iwhelan
    Sancho coming soon.. here is a taster...

http://www.20000-leagues.com

excellent stuff man

• Advertisement
Advertisement