Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussie win

Options
  • 10-10-2003 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

Poor game, argentina didn't make enough use of their backs, line out crap, and defence folded faster than a wet paper bag. Neither the aussies or the pumas looked like winners and I think Ireland have a very good chance of topping our group.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

score?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭long_b

24 - 8 ot the Aussies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

woohoo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

True enough if they both play like that against us we have a very good chance. I don't think they will though.
    Argentina will be fighting for their survival and do have the players to do the damage. If they'd managed to convert more of their penalty opportunities they may well have had a very good chance. Possibly Quesada should have started? Either way they seemed a bit intimidated by the setting.
    Australia were very under par and may well be roasted in the papers over the game. Far too many knock ons. But again we can't rely on that form staying the same.
    Both sides did display weaknesses though so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

argentine scrum could cause us a lot of problems..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Well since the set pieces are the strongest part of our game, and the australians where choosing to run the ball rather than kick it to touch or take the scrum, I'd say we have the edge on them there. I'd agree with ya on the form staying the same but the australians are going to need a massive jump to top the group now. I'm I right in saying there were no bonus points for either team in that game, if so.... great. Makes our job all the more easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Nope no bonus points for either team. As far as the set pieces go the scrums will be tough alright but that will be more than made up for in the lineouts (assuming the Argentinians don't change hooker). Couldn't swear blind to it but it seemed at one stage as if they had lost theoir first 6 lineouts in a row, 3 or 4 of them for crooked throws and the others for bad catches. O'Kelly and O'Connell would have a field day against that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Whist I agree that Aus were weak, I was impressed with the Argentine defence (with the obvious exception of the late second Aus try, when they hadn't settled from just scoring their own try).

To their credit, they did play for a full 80 minutes, even after their cause became hopeless scorewise.

After seeing this game, I would not conclude too quickly that Ireland/Argentina will be one way traffic. I think they could put it up to us. If they had managed to get their place kicking together, they could really have given Australia a close game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by GreenHell
    I'm I right in saying there were no bonus points for either team in that game, if so.... great. Makes our job all the more easier.

You are right. Aus 4 pts, Argentina 0.

Aus seemed to be playing well within themselves and took most of their remaining star players off in the second half, presumably to wrap them in cotton wool.

Losing Giffin will be a huge blow to them as well. He was the only surviving forward from the last WC. His injury looked really bad. Apparently the X-rays say it's not a broken neck but he hadn't woken up by the time he'd got to hospital. So he's bound to be out for the rest of the tournament.

Hope he's all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

the way things went im very happy(especially with no bonus points). BUT in fairness to argentian if they hadnt let the aussies get a second try and converted their kicks they could have finished 20-17 in favour of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

why are people caring about bonus points. If the aussies beat us, they will top the group regardless! As for us topping the group, the Ausdtralians weren't that bad. Some people are beginning to see our team as better than they are, methinks

Advertisement