Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€16m boost for Shannon rail link proposal

Options
  • 09-10-2003 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

€16m boost for Shannon rail link proposal
    Gordon Deegan
    The Irish Independent
    09-October-2003
    PLANS to provide a commuter rail link to Shannon airport yesterday secured a major boost when a private company said it was prepared to invest €16m in the project.

A report published by the Shannon Railway Company on the project concludes that the €60m commuter rail-link between Shannon, Limerick and Ennis "is a viable commercial entity" through a public-private partnership.

The proposal envisages a regular seven-day service between the three centres using the existing rail line between Limerick and Ennis, together with a new six-mile spur to be constructed to Shannon Town Centre, Shannon Free Zone and Shannon Airport.

The proposed schedule anticipates a train service to and from Shannon airport every 20 minutes to Limerick and Ennis.

The Shannon Railway Company is a consortium of investors led by Beaux Walk Properties which is currently constructing a €150m redevelopment of Shannon Town Centre.

Mr Boland said Shannon Rail Company was prepared to invest €37m provided the Government gave a tax break equivalent to the balance of €23.5m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

just dont let CIE or the RPA anywhere near it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dmeehan just dont let CIE or the RPA anywhere near it!
    It'd be mostly running on existing CIE lines so they'd probably insiat on having some kind of involvement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

never thought about it like that!

i dont suppose the unions would allow a private operator to run the service:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by sligoliner
    more info: http://www.platform11.org/shannon_rail.html
    What is the proposed route layout? If I am going from Ennis to Limerick do I go direct or via Shannon? Or will it wary between peak (direct) and off peak (indirect)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

What are the expected journey times between Limerick/Airport, Ennis/Limerick and Ennis/Airport?

Assuming 100kmh stock and 2 minutes (3 minutes for conventional rolling stock, negligible for DART) to slow down, stop and accelerate at stations.
    Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Limerick/Airport
    28km/100kmh + 4 stations x 2 minutes/station = 25 minutes (direct)
    Ennis/Limerick
    40km/100kmh + 5 stations x 2 minutes/station = 34 minutes (direct)
    60km/100kmh + 10 stations x 2 minutes/station = 56 minutes (indirect via Shannon)
    Ennis/Airport
    26km/100kmh + 5 stations x 2 minutes/station = 26 minutes (direct)
    This would indicate it is a very Shannon-centric project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭embraer170

Some comments of my comments on the SRC, cross-posted on Platform11.

Passing loops: Surely the passing loops could easily be integrated in regular railway stations along the line instead of having to stop trains at specially built passing loops in the middle of nowhere. The timetable/running speeds on certain segments would just have to be adapted.

Land: The mentioned land acquisition costs of €4.5 million for about 45 acres comprising 1.1 acres for new passing loops and 43.6 acres for the new track seems on the low side. Just look at the acquisition costs for road projects; I cannot why rail would be that much lower. Farmers will not exactly be happy to have their land divided. I am also surprised that in the 6.5 miles, there is not a single dwelling needing to be knocked.

Stops at Shannon: 3 stops at Shannon is a bit much. Perhaps a single stop could replace the Shannon Town and Shannon Freezone, somewhere midway. Shannon town would then develop in that direction.

I am also curious how the Shannon stops would work. ….. Sixmilebridge - Shannon Free Zone - Shannon Town - Shannon Airport - [direct to] New Market on Fergus …… would not allow the numerous Airport employees who live in Shannon to return from work. The opposite (airport first) wouldn’t allow them to get to work while serving three Shannon stations twice in both directions would be ridiculous for all other passengers.

Journey Times. Ennis-Limerick estimated at 56 minutes by Victor is not competitive with the current bus service which takes 45 minutes

[Victor I quoted your data on the Platform11 message board, I hope you don't mind]

I notice they mention “track at an average width of 60 ft.” for the new Shannon spur, I presume the new land purchase is sufficiently wide enough for future double tracking? Perhaps consideration should be given to double track the new section from the start allowing margin in case of train delays (since it is located midway).

Overall an excellent project which I do hope to see succeed. I would be happy to see the currently ailing Shannon Airport to benefit from being the first Irish Airport to have a proper rail connection.

Originally posted by embraer170
    Land: The mentioned land acquisition costs of €4.5 million for about 45 acres comprising 1.1 acres for new passing loops and 43.6 acres for the new track seems on the low side. Just look at the acquisition costs for road projects; I cannot why rail would be that much lower. Farmers will not exactly be happy to have their land divided. I am also surprised that in the 6.5 miles, there is not a single dwelling needing to be knocked.
    The route can be designed away from houses and I think they are slightly dependant on "free" land from Clare co. co., IDA and Aer Rianta.
    Stops at Shannon: 3 stops at Shannon is a bit much.
    Remember it's being pushed by a property developer.
    I am also curious how the Shannon stops would work. ….. Sixmilebridge - Shannon Free Zone - Shannon Town - Shannon Airport - [direct to] New Market on Fergus …… would not allow the numerous Airport employees who live in Shannon to return from work. The opposite (airport first) wouldn’t allow them to get to work while serving three Shannon stations twice in both directions would be ridiculous for all other passengers. Journey Times. Ennis-Limerick estimated at 56 minutes by Victor is not competitive with the current bus service which takes 45 minutes. [Victor I quoted your data on the Platform11 message board, I hope you don't mind]
    NP. Some peak time services would need to operate direct Limerick - Ennis, off-peak wouldn't be as crucial. Providing a high frequency Shannon town - airport link would make more airport workers live in Shannon and not in Ennis.

You would also need to study traffic patterns in the area. Dublin airport has 50+% of passenger using public transport (huge for an airport without a train link). However the capacity constraint is traditional rush hour when the office staff alll use their cars, hence efforts to provide new busses / Metro going Tallaght - Blanch - Airport.
    I notice they mention “track at an average width of 60 ft.” for the new Shannon
    Should be plenty, but dependant on cuttings / embankments.

Advertisement