Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIV knows more about us than we do!!

Options
  • 06-10-2003 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly old news, but BBC have decided that a year later its worth sharing and who am I to disagree.

HIV research has uncovered the role of a human immune protein thats function was previously unknown and shown that HIV has an immune system of its own.

HIV produces a protein called virion infectivity factor (Vif). It has been known that Vif play an important role in HIV infection, as Vif deficient HIV in T-cells can't infect other cells, but is infectious when produced in some non-T-cell cells.

It was concluded about 5 years ago that Vif must disable some anti-viral defence system in T-cells, but noone knew what. Last summer researchers linked Vif to a cytidine deaminase called CEM15 which has now been shown to cause hypermutation in viral RNA. In theory, this would stop HIV from replicating properly, but Vif inhibits CEM15 action and thus counteracts the bodies immune system, allowing HIV to replicate and spread.

Its opened the way for new HIV research as Vif is a prime candidate for new anti-HIV therapies.

You gotta marvel at the virus though, I mean its such a basic organism, yet it has such an incredible life cycle. *boggles*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Impressive.

That's what I love about complex things. No matter how basic they look, they always have something new to reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's all down to Darwin, the virii that have the advantages (in defence, transmitability, etc.) survive and replicate, the others loose out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

hehe
    my friend did a great description today where he likened it to those starburst thinks that airwolf used to shoot out to intercept heat seeking missiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

That's what I love about complex things. No matter how basic they look, they always have something new to reveal.

:D My thoughts exactly!

I know its terrible to say but I love a good Virus, just not in me!:rolleyes:

Advertisement