Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Guinnea Pig

Options
  • 03-10-2003 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Was wondering if anyone could help me with an query.
    We have a lovely cute guinnea pig who is only two months old but is totally mad. I thought all guinnea pigs were fairly quiet, calm creatures ........ our fella is mad. He climbs up the cage and swings off the top bar. runs around the cage like a loonie. We got him a canary toy (bell with mirror on top) and he is either trying to pull it off the cage or headbuts it. He makes really unusual noise during the day (not the purring or high pitch noise they usually make) but a sort of growl. When let out of the cage for a run about he usually trys to climb up the walls or stairs. Are these normal traits for a male guinnea pig. One of my friends suggested that we should get him a mate to calm him down a bit.

Any one have any suggestions???????

Thanks

HOT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

A mate prolly would be the best option, as long as you can provide homes for any offspring. :)

His behaviour could also be down to not having enough space or stimulating playtime. They have countless energy when young and need to be played with a LOT if alone.
    They are by nature HIGHLY social animals, and can often actually die from lonliness.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hmmmmm....

Not unusual

(We have 5 sows and 4 boars).

He might think (if an unusually dim pig) that the reflection is another boar.

It is VERY tricky to get boars to not want to kill each other (two is WORSE than three).

Growls and hipwiggling followed by very wide yawns are SERIOUS aggression!!!

They need a LOT of space.

They are Colony / social animals, so he needs about 4hrs a day handling if on his own.

He'll be VERY happy with a female. Every 60 to 80 days you will then have 2 to 8 very cute puppies. (You can get him neutered though, let them breed max twice perhaps, but it is a SERIOUS thing breeding).

He needs a wired run (with wired top to keep cats and Magpies out) on the grass about 3ft x 6ft minimum.

They like tunnels and towers.

Carrots
    Cucumbers
    Dandelion
    Grass
    Hay.

Always use hay bedding not wood shavings.

He is normal!!!

A second male if it works is a good solution. If they try to kill each other then you need two runs and two hutches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HOT

Quick update. Today we got a female guinnea pig. She is a little pet. Thanks for all the advise and I am now looking into getting a bigger cage - the one I have could hold 4 guinnea pigs but I like them to have as much room as possible.

BTW Watty we have the pair of them inside the house due to the fact we are living near the sea (cold, foggy weather in winter) but I will definately be looking into an indoor run aswell as the Dandelion and Grass.

I will let them bred for a little while and have good homes lined up for the first two pups!!!!!

Thanks again Dawntreader and Watty for your advise.

HOT

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sudden temp changes are bad. But they can live in very cold. They love playing in snow.

Too hot is more danger (heatstroke!)

They hate exposure to wind, so we arrange a windbreak.

They don't even mind rain much as they have VERY oily fur.

Ours have a "castle" made out of wood with tunnels and towers. They love to sit up a tower or in a tunnel with just a snout showing. Esp. if a heap of hay is to hand.

You still do have a slight problem as the female can't be let get pregnant all the time. So you will need to separate them for at least 3 months from litter down, or get the boar a small operation later...
    Well Omar, the good news is I got you a job sitting around minding beautiful girls....

V
    V
    V
    V
    V

The bad news is that it is the Emir's Hirem"

Advertisement