Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror universe

Options
  • 02-10-2003 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

I wonder why this plotline was never developed much beyond the TOS 'Mirror ,Mirror' episode (which is one of the best TOS episodes).

There were a handful of DS9 episodes that dealt with the same mirror universe that kirk and co. got pulled into but they had gotten rid of the empire and humanity existed as the oppressed minority of the universe, the good guys for the most part.

Bah, bring back the empire I say; it demonstrated what would have happened if humanity had set out to conquer space rather than explore it as the federation did. Baser, malevolent, survival insticts triumph rather than the desire to improve the mind and humanity as a whole.

I think that the TNG book "Dark Mirror" would have made an incredible film, and a fitting end to the TNG casts run. Throw away the DS9 plotline for a moment (should be no problem for ST writers, they're past masters at ditching previously established plotlines as we all know) and you have some pretty hot stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

thats something id like to see happening more mirror universes but would that mean the romulans are friend with the federation or even the "BORG" !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think the reason humanity existed as an oppressed minority in the mirror universe was that the good spock managed to convince the bad spock things would have to change or the empire would devour it self or something like that. That lead to earth being destroyed or something by the alliance i think.

the mirror universe episodes where quite good and i though DS9 devoted a couple of good episodes to it.

one of the lastest novels by michael jan friedman star trek stargazer book 3 i think is loosely based on the mirror universe and is quite a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The books are a bit dated now with Voyager having returned to the alpha quadren, but if u want good mirror universe books to go Shatner's himself. Spectre, Dark Victory and something else, cant remember the name, all park of a compelling mirror universe trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭PaulMagrath

Best mirror universive story ever is Susan Wright's Star Trek: Dark Passions. (it's a 2-book series - available on Amazon I think)

It's told from Seven of Nine's POV. She's an agent for the Obsidian Order rather than Borg. Very cool.

Ohh actually i read those books too. Very good story, i especially like that Worf is an agent high up in the klingon empire. The only thing that annoyed me really was the tack renaming of certain characters, namely 'Agent Seven of Corps Nine'. Otherwise a pretty good story. They can be bought in easons or Forbidden Planet on the quays in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i've read them also but i don't recall that much about them to be honest, i'm sure they where good at the time though :)

Ohh yea, and another thing that got me about those books, the whole 'girl power' thing. That really annoyed me... but still a very good story.

Advertisement