Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is 2nd in the awards. JMCC denied his award it seems...

Options
  • 08-10-2000 3:21am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Boards.ie finished a respectable 2nd in the Web Ireland awards, P45.net won (bastids! smile.gif )

Considering we beat Ireland.com and a load of others (see my other post) thats pretty cool!

What isnt cool is that JMCC, despite getting twice the number of votes of his nearest rival it has transpired, didnt get the award.

John has been a vocal detractor from the awards and the way it was run and wrote as much on his site www.hackwatch.com

I'm not drawing any conclusions but some people might have some questions to answer.

The awards organisers havent yet explained this so we await their side of the story.

May you live in interesting times eh...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by DeVore:
    May you live in interesting times eh...

some people think thats a curse....

let us see what the outcome is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's also the name of a good Discworld book. Which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Well its nice to get second place but....
    dont we all feel a bit like Mika Hakkinen.
    And I hate Mika Hakkinen.
    But I love all of you. smile.gif

Young men are you listen'en to me.I said young men.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Have to wonder about the p45 one as well. though it's a discussion board so maybe they got thier members to vote just like here.

Kind of funny IOL won, considering they were on the judges board too. Not that IOL have never rigged a competition before. Dance Ireland? Anyone remember that, also IOL told thier staff one time to keep reloading some customers page to bump up the counter and make it look like people were looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

was anybody really suprised with the outcome in all fairness? those web awards are just a media platform it would be a miracal if some descent site actually won it

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Have to wonder about the p45 one as well. though it's a discussion board so maybe they got thier members to vote just like here

They did and they have a mailing list and it was mentioned on that as well. Of course, my loyalities lie with these boards.

Draco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Busaras

Thanks Draco, we @ p45 did in fact use our boards and our mailinglist to encourage people to vote.

Despite P45 winning, I'm with JMCC on this, and the "scandal" deserves widespread coverage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Despite P45 winning, I'm with JMCC on this, and the "scandal" deserves widespread coverage

No doubt they'll try cover this up, their the ones with the media access, I don't know what media access the boards and p45 have or might have but is there not going to be some sort of awards ceremony? If so perhaps a joint statement between 1st and 2nd place parties at the awards would be in order. If not then you only have the web as media so why not a joint online protest between the two sites.

Blade

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just so that everyone understands, us and P45 get on famously and if we didnt win, they were the people we wanted to win it.

They work hard on their site and deserve the award.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Busaras

tom you're so sweet darling...

mmwwahhhh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know ebeon sponsored one of the awards (the B2B one), so I'm gonna ask someone high-up here to get these guys to cough up an answer...

Mightn't do nay harm wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Not only did they 'try' to cover it up, but they 'tried to cover it up' with this:-
    I sent this to the webmaster yesterday, but it hasn't appeared yet.

It has come to the attention of the National Internet Business Awards that
    one of the non-public pages from the internetawards.ie site has been posted
    online. This posting on Shoptalk has given the impression that the
    information contained within the page constitutes the final results for the
    readers choice awards categories.
    This page does in fact comes from a private area of the site and does not
    represent the final results for the e-election sections of the Awards. For
    obvious security reasons we did not host sensitive information such as the
    final results or credit card details online.

As announced on October 6, 2000, the nominees and winners of the readers
    choice categories stand as issued.

People might infer from the information that appeared online that WEB
    Ireland didn't want John McCormac to win the IT Journalist of the Year
    award. This is not the case. Recently, he has been critical of the National
    Internet Business Awards and on several occasions he has made some valid
    points. Other times I think his comments have been unfair and uncalled for.
    However, we wouldn't risk the integrity of the Awards just to get at John.

The National Internet Business Awards trust this clarifies any confusion
    arising from the posting. The National Internet Business Awards issues this
    statement in support of any nominees or winners who may have been
    embarrassed or confused by this incident.

Stephen Finnegan.
    CEO

National Internet Business Awards

What a fúcking farce.

Perhaps we can do something about this, I know I'm not the only one around here who voted for Jmcc, anyone got any suggestions?

Luc

Advertisement