Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a little help???

Options
  • 30-09-2003 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

yes this another of those posts:rolleyes: ......

i've decided to get a mexican fender jazz bass, obviously i'd prefer to play the in strument before i buy it but prices here are so insane and i'm such a poverty stricken student that i'll have to get it from abroad:

jazz bass from music123.com - 485euro (approx)

jazz bass from thomann.de - 525euro

jazz bass from musicstorekoeln.de - 533euro

however, i do have a friend in canada (hi benny!!) who said he could buy one and have it sent over, would this work out any cheaper?

any help would be great.

ferdi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by ferdi
    yes this another of those posts:rolleyes: ......

i've decided to get a mexican fender jazz bass, obviously i'd prefer to play the in strument before i buy it but prices here are so insane and i'm such a poverty stricken student that i'll have to get it from abroad:

jazz bass from music123.com - 485euro (approx)

jazz bass from thomann.de - 525euro

jazz bass from musicstorekoeln.de - 533euro

however, i do have a friend in canada (hi benny!!) who said he could buy one and have it sent over, would this work out any cheaper?

any help would be great.

ferdi

edit/ oh yeah, i'd love to get my hands on a 2nd hand one if anyone knows of any going?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

ugh.. fender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭wiggy69

went through this hell myself , but i've got to admit , you cant beat just going to a music shop outside of dublin and playing one and making the purchase , play it and buy it , shops will compete against sites , but i found that dublin was 300 euro more expensive that smaller shops , they all have the same suppliers and mark ups , my guitar was 105 cheaper from music store than where i bought it , but i'd gladly pay that for peace of mind ,

Originally posted by bombidol
    ugh.. fender

yeah, i know. i love the sound and feel of most of the jazz basses i've played thats why i want it, if it wasnt going to effect the re-sale value i'd scratch the 'fender' off the bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Fender are good, dont know hwat so many people have against them. i used to be one of them Fender haters but i do lik em now, once you try a few out.

still ****ing hate Gibsons/Epiphones tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

People who hate fenders play sh*t guitars and sh*t music.

Gimps who say they have a Les Paul and do a smiley are show offs :)

i dislike the fender sound. but like the feel of some of their guitars. i own a sweet fender amp too, very nice. but to say what you said giblet is dumb!:f33r: ODLUMS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Originally posted by bombidol
    i dislike the fender sound.

What, in the name of Eircom League Football, is the "fender sound"? :confused:

Realistically, about 80% of guitar based albums made since 1960 would have a Fender bass on it (bear in mind Leo Fender also designed the musicman bass too). Strats, Teles, Jaguars, Mustangs, Jazzmasters etc etc would make up a sizeable amount of the guitars played on albums too. I have a strat and find I can get a huge variety of quality tones from it, so what is the "fender sound"? Can you give an example of it?

i find the basic tone of a strat too sparkly for me. i need to mess around a lot to get a tone and sound i like from em. while straight outta the box a les paul sounds the way i like my guitars to sound. clear with enough bottom end and mellow tone for the type of stuff i like to play. I like the feel of the strat neck, perhaps a strat with some decent humbuckers would suit me but thats too much messing around for what a les paul or SG would give me straight off. im not saying that fenders are ****e, just more like they arent my bag baby yeah. as far as basses go, fender jazz basses when set up right sound nice, but im more of a musicman or stingray fan myself.

Have a look at the Fender Double Fat Strat, made with two humbuckers, no single coils. I mean, yeah, if you need a humbucker sound then a single coiled strat won't do, but then neither will a single coil P90 pickup in a Les Paul, plus you won't have arthritis in your shouder from carrying the weight of the bloody thing. :D

You can get the musicman stingray from a jazz bass easily enough, just lower the neck pickup (physically, screw it lower into the body) so most of the volume is coming from the bridge pickup but leave both pickups at full volume. It sounds like a humbucker but it has that trebley stingray sound. It works on the cheapest of jazz basses, you can save yourself €1000 :)

• Advertisement

yeah but the stingray looks so ****in cool!

Originally posted by Doctor J
    You can get the musicman stingray from a jazz bass easily enough, just lower the neck pickup (physically, screw it lower into the body) so most of the volume is coming from the bridge pickup but leave both pickups at full volume. It sounds like a humbucker but it has that trebley stingray sound

now thats a top tip, thanks doctor j:)

i'm still no closer to getting my jazz bass though, i was going to get the 2nd hand one in musician inc. but the bastards sold it:mad:

Just keep an eye out in buy and sell, I don't think I'd buy an instrument without playing it first. The mexican build quality is a bit erratic, some are very,very good, others are dodgy.

You'd be nuts to buy one without giving it a try first in my opinion. Shops are rip-offs too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭oddlyaromatic

I play a Fender P-Bass that my dad brought back from England last year. It's a little piece of sweetness, I love it. In fact I'm gonna go home and play it really soon. He took it back in his car on a ferry though, so it's probably not a similar situation with your mate, unless he fancies a trip over. Postage and safe packing would be mental on a bass I think. I know Tim Diebert exports guitars from Canada that way, but he charges like 5 grand a pop, the postage becomes insignificant.

Advertisement