Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way to Lean Guitar?

Options
  • 28-09-2003 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good books or websites for begginers acoustic guitar? Have been learning a bit from tabs but would love to follow a proper course. Cant afford lessons at the mo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

http://www.cyberfret.com , good forums too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

www.powertabs.net is quite good.
    Download the editor from there, and grab a few tabs and try to play along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Well i like to lean mine up against the sofa or at the wall, seriously tho,
    There are loads of websites out there with lessons some of them are ok, but your better off going to a teacher a person you can actualy ask questions and so on.

I'd say start out with some easy chord songs and work your way up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

cool lads! Have been playing piano for years and have fairly good music theory so tabs should be okay. Cheers for the links.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Find someone you know who plays guitar and slap them upside the head until they give you some free lessons. And get a chord book. Try and learn some chord theory. There are some good books on Amazon about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I got the Guitar "for dummies" book good read and it helped me out alot.

main thing to do is jsut visit the websites the guys have already been mentioning and start downloading the excercises that most of them would have and just practice.

i dont think you will have much of a problem though. being able to play piano should make it a breeze for you.

id actually like to start learning how to play piano now. teacvh me plssss?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I got Play Guitar first (started from scratch)
    Didn't bother learnin half the stuff. Used it to train my ear. Then after learnin a fair bit of stuff by ear, upgraded to Total Guitar. Been gettin that since, class tabs, good articles and interviews, video tuition on cd etc. I'm now excellent!!!!!! Ah no, but seriously it has improved my playing a lot. That and buying tricky tab books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭oddlyaromatic

"Find someone you know who plays guitar and slap them upside the head until they give you some free lessons"

- No, do not do that, I beg you. I once had a guy hound me for lessons, he promised me booze... but there was never any booze... one time he even tried to lure me in with porridge.. if you do this to a mate, he will get agree and teach you wrong ****, like "all real men play left-handed".

Originally posted by Washout
    I

id actually like to start learning how to play piano now. teacvh me plssss?????

I used to teach keyboard to teenagers but that drove me allmost as mad as trying to teach adults the ECDL. Now i dont do either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

There's no substitute for lessons from a seasoned professional. A tenner every 2 weeks should cover it.

Not one of Feylya's noise-classes though.:f33r:

• Advertisement

I really need to just sit down and get stuck into it for an hour every day. Fairly hard to do that though when you run your own business!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭oddlyaromatic

Just copped that if you can't afford lessons you don't want to be shelling out for books or magazines either. guitarsite.com is one I found very helpful, it's chocked to balls with stuff.

So it is.

And for tabs I use GTU - guitartabs.cc

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    There's no substitute for lessons from a seasoned professional. A tenner every 2 weeks should cover it.

Not one of Feylya's noise-classes though.:f33r:

Hey, you leave my noise lessons alone. People pay good money to make noise like I do. It's all to do with the knobs going up to eleven.:horned:

Advertisement