Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is volunteerism dying in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-09-2003 1:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have a '95%' employment rate, a relatively wealthy society and the time people have to give for the benefit of others seems to be less and less. Traffic jams, Childcare costs, limited public transport and a culture of materialism seem to be taking the good out of the Irsh giving spirit.
    I volunteer for Aware, but it is a great strain to keep it up with all the other demands on my time. I fear the generosity that used to be a trademark of the Irish people is diminishing.
    However i still think that within the irish spirit there is still the drive to be better, to help our neighbour and to strengthen our community by taking care of the less well off/disabled. We are still a good people who can once again become a giving people. I guess we just need a little encouragement.

Advertisement