Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now is the time to go back

Options
  • 24-09-2003 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

I went back to rugby training for the first time in years just last night. I was down in Clontarf, for I think the first time on a pitch in about 4 years.

I'm trying to ease back into it to taking it easy: found the Junior 3rds. They seemed like very nice guys and were very welcoming. Bit of craic too.

We did mainly fitness - speed and strength work - I was surprised by how unfit for that type of work I am, been doing a lot of running lately, but no speed training.

It was great to be back, glad I finally got off my ass and did it. So if you're thinking about it, it's late September now, don't mess about - just get down to your local.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I went training for the first time in over three years, since a very bad leg break and then moving countries to East London Rugby club, just down the road from Clontarf!

I am a chicken, and avoiding Tuesday trainings, as Im *cough* busy in work, and going to Thursday nights, for the actuall practical work, not running around cones for no purpose other than to get your heart beating and opening up those arteries again!

I have played two games on the seconds, and its good. We won one of them and lost the other. Playing at Tight head. Im lucky as I can play loose or tight, so every club out there needs props as far as I can see these days, so getting a game aint a problem! I was good in the set stuff, but ****e in the loose as Im really unfit, and therefore behind the play a lot. But it was £2 a pint in our bar afterwards, so its all good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

As the late great Irish rugby fanatic Spike Milligan once wrote, about a particularly vigorous game in which he played while serving with the artillery in the War:

'I never played again. Nobody ever should. Rugby is for watching.'
    Adolf Hitler: My part in his downfall

My sentiments entirely. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

im livin in dub for collage so i cant trains wit wicklow. Whats the nearest club to santry?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Sundy
    im livin in dub for collage so i cant trains wit wicklow. Whats the nearest club to santry?

I'd say DCU (where you prolly go to college :)).

Otherwise I'm not sure of any in that part of town, not a tradional rugby area. Clontarf might be the closest funnily enough.

--

I played my first game on Sunday, with the 3rds against Lansdowne. Thought I'd be going on at the start of the 2nd, but our hooker came off with a shoulder injury about 5 or 10 mins into the game so I played almost all of it.

I found out just what a difference there is between distance-running fitness (which I have), and rugby match-fitness (which I most certainly have not). I was a good bit off the pace.

We lost the game with a bad 2nd half performance after a strong showing in the first - we outscored them by a couple of tries before the half, but after the break they put a few in to take it by about 10 points (give or take, I don't actually know the score :)).

Hooking was alright, it's hard to throw to a complete stranger with different timing and height, and pick up the calls, with zero practice. Striking in the scrum was a bit difficult too - I lost the first one against the head cos I didn't have timing right with the scrum-half, and had forgotten completely about that aspect of play :)

No injuries though, thankfully. Got a couple of scratches and bruises, stiff neck & shoulders, and no skin on the back of my heels after my new boots did a job on me, but that's all minor, I'm very happy with how my body stood up to it after such a long break.

So maybe Tuesday training, but I think it's more realistic to expect I'll be only getting to the Thursday session this week (a bit of line-out practice wouldn't go astray!).

Think I'll head for a jacuzzi.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I just joined the "ladies" Rugby team in DCU.

Last year was very badly organised i.e. no training and no matches due to the other college teams pulling out last minute etc. Hopefully this year I'll get to show my awsome rugby skillz to the world!!

:D

Probably should get people to buy get well soon cards for me in advance...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah the joys of Ahem " Ladies" rugby
    vicious but fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I know! I can't wait I've a lot of anger that needs releasing.

Advertisement