Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Visa?

Options
  • 23-09-2003 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right form for this question, but I'm looking to relocate to the US and as such I need a visa or a green card or whatever.

I know about the whole green card lottery thing, just wondering if anyone here has had any success with it? Or is there a likely chance that a company (something in web design would be the best BSc + 2yrs exp) would sponsor me if I made a contact there?

If anyone as any other suggestions, I'd love to hear em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

in todays market your unlikely to get a sponser in that field.

the ebst thing to do is just to apply. make sure you have all the information for crerating the aplication form as one little thing wrong will get it automatically disqualified from the lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Couple of relevant links on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Drella118

The green card lottery is always worth a try, although the chances of actually getting the visa are quite remote. They issue 50,000 green cards and there's an average of about 10 million applications, so the odds are only around 1 in 200 in any given year. Whether the applications will decrease given America's bad press recetnly, I don't know.

The other option is to apply to companies to sponsor you for a H1B visa. I'm not sure of the exact number of these that are available, but they're open to any professional person, which in effect means that any job which requires a Bachelors degree counts. The majority of these visas are issued to computer graduates and other high tech workers, so it's always worth looking for a company.
    More info can be found at www.immigration.com

Incidentally, I put a resume on Monster.com and got a call from a company in California asking if I'd be interested in working for them, although I declined it because I was looking to work in Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 barry007

Does anyone have experience of applying for the H1B visa, where does one start in the application process? how do you get an organisation to sponsor you, and how do you find a US job ONLINE??

ALL new to this, have an MSc and few yrs exp in finance and would love to work for a leading corporation in the states.

Rgds,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

barry007 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of applying for the H1B visa, where does one start in the application process? how do you get an organisation to sponsor you, and how do you find a US job ONLINE??

ALL new to this, have an MSc and few yrs exp in finance and would love to work for a leading corporation in the states.

Rgds,

It's up to the employer to start the process of H1B application.

Go to www.monster.com, put your cv up on it, see if anyone bites, you will have to specify when if you are eligible to work in the US, if companies are intrerested they may go down the H1b route

• Advertisement
Advertisement