Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby World Cup Group of Death

Options
  • 22-09-2003 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

OK. This may seem a little convoluted but bear with me.

The bonus point scheme applies in the group stages. 4pts for a win; 2 for a draw; none for a defeat. Bonus point awarded if a defeated team finishes within 7pts of the victor and/or if a team score four tries in a match.

In Ireland's group there are five teams: Ireland Argentina Australia Namibia and Romania

Opening match (of the tournament indeed) is Arg v Aus.

Let's say (given Argentina's fine run of form) Australia win a close tense game by less than seven points and neither side scores four tries. Aus 4pts, Arg 1pt

Then assume that Ireland, Argentina and Australia all win their games against the two minnows handsomely and come out with the same number of bonus points from them. For the sake of argument, let's say we all get maximum points from these games. (ie beat both teams and score four tries in each game) All of us get 10pts from two games.

Then in Argentina's last match, let's say they pull out the stops and beat Ireland in a tense game by less than seven points. Neither team scores four tries.
    Arg 4 pts Irl 1 point

No outlandish predictions so far.

That means the situation going into the final pool match (Ireland v Aus) is:

Argentina 15pts (played all their games)
    Australia 14pts
    Ireland 11 pts

Now, let's say O'Driscoll and Hickie really hit their stride. Woody plays like a man posessed. The Australian forwards are found to have lost too many of their experienced old hands and Ireland run up a healthy lead.

If we beat Australia, we go through, they go out—unless they get a bonus point. Just imagine we are leading by 10 points in injury time. Both sides have scored three tries. Aus get a penalty just inside the Irish half. How to they attempt to secure the extra bonus point?

If they lose but get a single bonus point (and we don't) that means all teams finish level on points. The head to head won't work here. Ireland beat Australia who beat Argentina who beat Ireland.

So it comes down to points difference in all matches. Looks like running up healthy scores against the minnows could be a critical factor.

OK, I'll put the anorak away now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i would have agreed with you up to the point you said that

'Ireland run up a healthy lead'

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

hmmmmmmmmmmm yes do put that anorak away. kinda killing the thrill there.......

the big winning point of this world cup will be the early morning mid week drinking........... all going to plan of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

rugby forum could do with such a discussion :)

anyway, we wont beat the aussies, and will have to play very well to beat argentina to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    rugby forum could do with such a discussion :)

anyway, we wont beat the aussies,

I dunno. They've lost a lot of good players over the last few years, and converting as many league players as they have looks to me like a panic move.

I really believe they could be turned over and quite convincingly by one of the second tier teams (it could be us, Argentina or maybe even Scotland if the quarter finals pan out as scheduled)

Without Eales, Kefu, Finnegan, Horan and Wilson they don't have the same invincible edge.

I admit Murphy is a huge loss to Ireland but we have an experienced team and some good players in key positions.

Got to be confident at this stage.

I wonder can you bet on three teams finishing level on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

with the exception of O'Driscol murphy could be our best player. Although i think the Aussies will scrape a win over Argentina and i think they would struggle to beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

We're going to get bonus points against the two whipping teams of the group, we're going to beat a captainless argentina and we have a very good shot against the aussies with all those new hands they have, sorry I'm a fan I think we're going to play out of our skins and top our group, call me crazy like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I was talking to Geordan Murphy the other day, i asked him about his loss at the Irish world cup and he said he is dissapointed he cant go but feels that even with his absence ireland ave a good chance at the world cup and that they have been training their arses off. Also his leg seems to be better, he said hes gona go back to lecister in round 4weeks to get it checked out. oh yea and i know geordan from Newbridge college and Naas RFC.

Advertisement