Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie O'Sullivan's contract extended

Options
  • 22-09-2003 2:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The IRFU have extended head coach Eddie O'Sullivan's contract to 2008.

See here and here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

nice one,he is doing a great job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Filed on 23 September 2003

O'Sullivan Delighted With the Vote of Confidence.

In a move initiated by the IRFU, Eddie O'Sullivan is set to become the longest serving coach in the history of the Irish national side after being handed an extension to his current contract that will see him in charge of the side until 2008.
    Speaking about the new deal yesterday when it was announced at a morning press conference in the Berkeley Court Hotel, O'Sullivan expressed surprise at the timing of the news.

"I really thought we'd sit down after the World Cup given that the present contract was due to end in April. But having said that I'm delighted with the news. I think the timing is good and it will help steady the ship before the World Cup.

"I suppose it puts a bit of pressure on because when I go the job I think there was a bit of controversy at the time and I was very keen to prove that I was going to do a good job. Now that I've gotten a boost of confidence from the IRFU, and it's a vote of confidence as well for the management and the players, you want to prove them right again and do another good job for another four years. But the job isn't done yet even at the moment. We still have the World Cup to look at so it's kinda hard today to take your mind off the World Cup even for a moment because we're in training this week. But yes it's great to get this vote of confidence but I've got to get my head down now and get on with the job of the World Cup."

Chief Executive, Philip Browne explained the thinking behind the contract extension saying, " We were looking not only on this World Cup obviously but in fact on the next World Cup (2007). He has a great opportunity now to make an impact not only on the national team for the next World Cup cycle but also to look at the younger players coming through the system and to really make an impact there."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

personally, I was amazed at this. He has done ok but has hardly surpassed what Gatland achieved. The new contract makes it very awkward to sack him if we fail to get out of our group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Eddie O'Sullivan is probably the best Irish coach ever, but I think that has more to do with the a changing of attitidute at the IRFU more than anything, we're currently peaking because of the fondations layed at club(maybe?) and provinicial level, the benefits of having Irelands best players playing at the highest level in europe and a damn good development team in connacht.

Eddie is fortunate to be in his position at this time I agree that his contract should have been extented I just hope Declan Kidney doesn't jump ship now.

I don't want to be overly crtitical, but he has hardly surpassed what was there before him. The provinces were playing a very good brand of rugby well before he became manager. All he has done is merely continue as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Gatland was an inconsistant tool, fecked two grandslam chances, one against Scotland! I'd say EOS is a vast improvement.

I don't know about two, certainly one though. He also persisted at times in playignthat block called Easterby. That been said though, we are still exactly if not slightly behind the position we were in when Gatland was sacked. I hope people don't take victories in autumn internationals as being sure signs we can beat these teams in competitions.

Advertisement