Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin 1/2 Marathon Race Report

• 22-09-2003 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all. In an attempt to diversify the board to give feedback on races over here, I enclose a report from the Dublin BHAA 1/2 Marathon from this Saturday gone. I am active on another Running Board, and one of the main features is the exchange of race reports and comments thereon - So here is my report I prepared for that board to share with you.

Did anyone else from here run it, have they a story to tell, did that hill kill them as it did me - Please share and comment...

Well, after a couple of weeks of less than satisfactory training due to a number of reasons - or should that be excuses - I headed down to Dublin on Friday evening to be ready for the BHAA Dublin 1/2 marathon in Saturday morning in the Phoenix Park. An itegral part of my build up to the Full 26 Mile Dublin event in 5 weeks time.

The race was due off at 10, and I knew things would be difficult when I woke at 5 to 9 - Gulp - Mad rush to get to the Park - Now you would think that someone who was born in Dublin, and had lived there all her life would know the way to Phoenix Park!!!! Well, ITS THE GREAT BIG GREEN BIT!!!!!!
    Lifts are great!!!!!!!!

We got there at 9:35 and I still had to get changed etc., but that bit was easy, bumped into Peter and Paul from my club, and walked up to the start area.

It was a perfect day for running a 1/2, slightly cool, no wind, and hopefully the rain that was threatening would hold off (it did).. There was an entry of around 1200 for this event, with the great and good of Irish distance running lining up at the front, and me lining up nearer the back. This was to be a training run, and I have a habit of getting carried away in races, even when trying to run slow, but today I was determined to try and run even pace, around 8:10 pace, and to get inside 1:50, which roughly equates to a sub 4 marathon.

There was a little confusion at the start, we heard no BANG, just people started running, so we did too, and my time will be as my watch from crossing the start line, rather than the official time, as I have no idea when that clock started.

I was determined to hold back, and was looking for a 9 minute first mile, determined not to try running around the slower starters, just to relax, then getting into a rhythm and try and keep an even pace. The race was solely within the park with one Big lap of 6+ and two smaller laps of 3+, and we started off on the Big lap. I was amazed to click my watch at the Mile 1 marker at a time of 8:59:95 - I must be getting good at this pacing game :) - I felt easy, and knew that after the first 1/2 mile or so my pace was easing into around 8 minute pace, and the first few miles were flat or even slightly downhill, so I started to rhytmically feel good, clocking 8:00, 7:53, 8:04, 8:02, 8:07 and 8:12, and by Mile 7 I was very confident that barring a major disaster I would be comfortably inside 1:50. The next two miles were downhill and I went much faster, recording 7:38 and 7:58, before gasping at a bloody awful uphill, which I also realised was going to have to be run again in the final mile. Well this was a training run, I wasn't trying to kill myself, so I took it very, very easy up this hill, and even then, by the time I got to the top my legs were like lead, and it took a good 400 metres to get them back into shape and to start into the final lap. That mile showed 9:47 - OUCH!!!

I was determined with 3 to go that I would not go so fast on the downhill stretches as I knew what was coming with a KICK at the end, so I relaxed, got the rhythm back and recorded 8:10 and 8:00 for miles 11 and 12. Just a mile and a bit to go, and that darn hill again! But I knew what to expect, so I dug in, kept my head down, pushed my weight forward and ground out the hill, and whilst the leaden legs were there again as the ground levelled off, I felt much better than on the previous lap, and with around 600 metres to go now, I concentrated on getting the legs moving and seeing what energy I had left at the end of the race, and started to pick off runners. Mile 13 marker was clicked at 8:35......

Now, those of you who may have read my reports over the years will recall that I always like to finish strong, and have prided myself on out-kicking runners half my age. Well today wasn't going to be an exception, and whilst my rival was probably 40 plus as well, it was a great finish. I kicked, he kicked, he came past, I got back on his arm, then with 50 to go, I checked my legs out to see if they were working, and asked them to KICK again - Boy was I stagered to find out that they were - I was ahead and stayed there as we crossed the line - "winning" by half a yard - a personal triumph ;)

My new friend grabbed my arm and shook it, praising my finishing strength - Before I could thank him and joke about it, I had to turn away, as I threw up!!! OUCH - I have felt nautious (sic!) at the end of a race before, but this was the first time I have actually been ill - not a pretty sight. Pleased to report that it was a passing feeling, and after water and power-aid I was fine again, jogged back to the changing rooms, and enjoyed a pint of Guinness an hour or so later.

My final time was 1:48.25, no records, but a job well done. Those last 6 miles were interesting with that darn hill twice. The first lap took 25:23, as I had run too fast on the downhills, and struggled on the climb - The second time around, I conserved energy on the down parts, and worked on the up - recording 24:45 - A good lesson to remember - 38 seconds better when using my head!

A good training run on a tough course, now I can home in on the BIG one in 5 weeks. Have to say I thought the organisation on the day wasn't at its best - No proper start, and the finishing shutes were long and slow to get through, but everything else was fine, so a good day out in the Park.

Liam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Wasnt even aware of this half marathon. Is this other running board irish based? - can you provide the details for it.

Running my second marathon in a few weeks - although i'm more than a little bit concerned that i havnt trained enough (keep having to pull up on training runs cos the old knee goes a bit wobbly). Running 3x15miles/week at the moment - and theres 4 weeks to go. Does this sound like i'm doing enough. I havnt booked it so i can downgrade to the half marathon but i really want to avoid that if i can...

Advertisement