Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders in the garden

Options
  • 17-09-2003 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I'm just going to post this here on the off chance someone might have a suggestion.

There seems to be an unusual amount of spiders and insects in my garden and I regularly have to clean the old webs off the washing line. While this is a minor irritation for me, my wife is quite arachnaphobic to the point of feeling nauseous if there's a spider around.
    Is there likely to be any reason why spiders seem to flock to my garden and can anyone suggest a way to discourage them?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Could be that the spiders are doing the whole Darwin thing with a good supply of food - i.e. insects. Try attracting birds that eat insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

your problem will be sorted in a week or two when night frost sets in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks Unkel,
    Your powers are truly amazing! :)

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

we have an unreal amount of spiders in our garden, some of which I've never seen before and quite frankly are freaky. We also have some sort of Spider Nest/Cocoon in the shed. It's about 4 inches in diametre and is hanging from the ceiling. There's an entrance and I can just about make out some egg sacks inside. I've never seen anything like it and neither has anyone else that's seen it. Does anyone in here know anything about spiders?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by LFCFan
    It's about 4 inches in diametre and is hanging from the ceiling.
    Sounds more like a wasp nest than a spider's nest.....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    Sounds more like a wasp nest than a spider's nest.....

Definatly a spiders nest. I've seen one in it and I can see part of an egg sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

It may also be an abandoned wasps nest that has become home to a spider :)

I have seen many spiders that have large nests tho.

Also remember, in recent years, many exotic spiders have been released into our country because of the pet trade.
    its only logical to surmise some have survived in sheds or garages, specially given our recent weather over the last couple of years.
    But as a generalisation, the kind of exotics in the pet trade dont weave webs as such.

B

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    It may also be an abandoned wasps nest that has become home to a spider :)

Looks like you're right. Got confirmation that it's an abandoned wasps nest (they're made of paper) and some spiders must have made a home in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

spiders have no morals.

Ignore them, they hate this.

Advertisement