Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Website

Options
  • 17-09-2003 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Any views on this site?

Here are some experiences................

Up until last week, there was no facility for entering a mailing address other than your credit card/billing address.

This meant that if your travel was commencing from an address other than your credit card address, you had to email Customer Relations (an oxymoron, if ever there was one!) to tell them to send the tickets to that other address and hope that they did so.

On the website there was NO INDICATION WHATSOEVER that you should be aware of this. The first time I had to do this the tickets never arrived. I went to the airport anyway assuming that it would merely be a case of issuing another set of tickets since I had a print out of the confirmation email with the booking reference number on it. Not so. It cost me Euro50 to have the tickets issued!!! You have been warned, since this applies also if you forget or lose your tickets, or have them stolen.

After telling customer relations what I thought of them and emailing their online department more than once - I'm sure I'm not the only one - Aer Lingus has finally added a feature allowing you to input a seperate mailing address. Gee! Every other online retailer did this from day one!!! (By the way, two people I spoke to in "customer relations"swore blind that there WAS a facility for a seperate mailing address, though they couldn't access it on the screen to see for themselves. This was his justification for not refunding me my Euro50. The girl in the online section said, correctly, that there was no such facility. What a joke!)

Both Ryanair and little JetMagic (an excellent service by the way) operate completely ticketless services. There is nothing to have posted to you, nothing you can lose, forget or have stolen. The printout of the email confirming your booking is enough. As it should be.

Aer Lingus is an old fashioned airline pretending to be up-to-the-minute online. I suspect that staff are being kept in jobs through the paperwork that the ticketing system generates.

I am currently awaiting my latest set of tickets, the first using the onscreen mailing address facility. I'm not holding my breath.

You have been warned.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

that 50e chage does sound crappo.

last time i flew aerlingus (back in feb) it was a non-ticket affair (that was london city to dublin). another time i was flying back from heathrow to dublin and i didnt want to wait around the airport for many many hours for my flight (i just got off an conncecting flight) and they changed my flight times for me for free, usually 20sterling or something each.

i presume they have to have actual tickets for their american flights, and i dont know about their continental flights.

anytime ive used the website ive found it pretty straight forward to use. not as good as the finnair one though, after booking flights last time from here (helsinki) to dublin, i got an sms with the code, then i took that sms (there was no hurry in going to pick up the ticket) to their office in the centre of the city and the woman handed me the tickets. super cool (they could have posted them to me aswell, but where would the fun be in that).

dw

BA do e-ticketing on all their routes afaik, but not Dublin London.
    Why? codeshare operated by Aerlingus.

If you are travelling business class with BA , you can check in on line in their website and change your seat if you want to.
    But not on Dublin- London because it's Aer lingus:rolleyes:

Aer lingus are very behind the times, FFS they only started to make decent profits when they started to use the Ryanair/O'Leary model of business.

BA have assured me that e-ticketing will commence on their code share Dublin flights as soon as, Aer lingus impliment it.
    They may wait a while then, the wheels of change in that organisation are slow, it would put you off unionisation to be honest.
    BMI have a better business class product to London by the way,than Aerlingus and they are fully e-ticketed on the route, with a telephone check in facility.
    Recently I booked a Business class flight on their website on a saturday and travelled on the following Tuesday.
    No problems and I just picked up my boarding card at the express desk.
    The price for the ticket btw, was more than €150 cheaper than with Aer lingus, for a service that is just as good if not better.

Another anomally is the fact that if you book your "Aer lingus" flight on the BA website it is cheaper than on the "Aer lingus " site even though it's the same plane , flight etc.
    It would appear also, that if you want to fly at short notice, with Ryan air to London, you would be far, far better off , flying business class with all the perks( lounge access,better food etc) with BMI as theres not much difference in the price.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

Personally I fly BMI where possible, namely because my frequent flyer card is Star Alliance. But to be honest the last 6 times (jan to last monday) I have flown lingus were all net bookings & e-tickets! I don't even remember seeing an option for issued tickets!

The only real gripes I have with Lingus are that they have lost my TAB a/c!? & they are moving a little too close to ryanairs model, the last plane I boarded didn't appear to have been cleaned to a "service airline" standard on the turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I should have added that I fly mostly Dublin/Brussels and they are very much obsessed with tickets on that route.

A little off topic.........

Just had a guest arrive in Brussels from Cork. They flew Jetmagic. Treated very well. Sandwiches followed by coffee followed by chocolates. OBvioudly they're trying to impress, but even so, for €75 each way plus taxes, it's pretty good to see.

Advertisement