Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Services in the North West ?..

Options
  • 16-09-2003 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I am genuinely surprised at the lack of a proper diagnostic and/or dedicated treatment unit. For patients suffering from Irelands number Killer* i.e. Coronary Artery Disease or those who have just had a life threatening - Heart Attack. In the North Western Health Board region of Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo.

Patients suffering from this condition have to wait to go to Dublin for proper treatment. While waiting they are discharged home. Unfortunately, many of these patients die before they are lucky enough to be called to Dublin for treatment.

Is it not about time that these patients, were given a better chance of suvival in the North West. It might help to stop, "Coronary Artery Disease" being listed as Irelands No.1. Killer!.

What do you think about this. and other Health Services in the North West ?...

P.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

They don't seem to give a damn about up here at all. A good example is the constant downgrading of Carndonagh Community Hospital, which is now little more than a large geriatric ward, when in the past it had a maternity ward, and light surgery too. The same goes for Letterkenny, with no more ENT surgery being performed there, you have to go to Sligo to get your tonsils out. I understand that's not too bad for people living in SW Donegal, Leitrim, etc, but it's quite a drive from North Inishowen. As for Dublin, well God knows, I hate having to travel to Dublin, and can only imagine how it must be when you're ill..

Up until a week or two ago I was rather annoyed with people whining on about the NowDoc service, until we had to use it ourselves, and now I can understand and sympathise with other people that have had to use it, and I can't begin to think of what it must be like for people who have to use it on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Castlebar General has the actual facilites and equipment to deal with broken bones but not the staff. You go there first and then they shuttle you off to Galway! Makes you wonder what happens if you have a serious illness, on second thoughts I don't have to wonder, they probably just send you to Dublin. Hmmm, bit of a trend developing here....

Advertisement