Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel insurance - bupa

Options
  • 16-09-2003 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I've got Bupa health insurance which i think covers me abroad but i'm not sure what travel insurance i need to get now, E111 is no good as I'm travlling outside EU.
    Anyone else use there Bupa/VHI cover when travelling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's also handy to have public liability insurance and property insurance, some even cocver you if you are arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Depends on how long you plan to be away - and what you plan to do.

I've enquired about travel insurance for 1 year in Oz and visaaustralia.ie offer such cover for c.€350 per year (covers most sporting avtivities also).
    I have Bupa cover here - I asked them about cover abroad - and basically it's not adequate.

I know that if you go to the U.S you should have cover of at least $15 million - sounds a lot I know - but an average policy should cover this amount.
    I recall reading about a UK tourist who was involved in a car accident and he was sued for c. $15 million - luckily (for him) they settled for a lot less :eek:

Victor,

Would you expand on your suggestions ?
    I haven't heard about public liability, etc., cover when travelling.

Have you had such cover yourself ? Expensive ?

Cheers,
    Silvera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

well i'm only going for 3 weeks, i have been qouted about 60-70 euro for health and travel insurance but i'd like to do it for less if possible.
    Did Bupa themselves say it was inadequate, when i rang up they said i was covered for upto 50,000 medical, i think, but when i asked would that be fine she said i'd need to ask my travel agent, why do they provide it if its not adequate!!
    Might just get insured off Bank of Ireland for 70euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silvera
    I haven't heard about public liability, etc., cover when travelling. Have you had such cover yourself ? Expensive ?
    It's a typical part of travel insurance (and indeed household insurance, but that won't cover you abroad). It would largely be for things where you injured someone else or damaged property.

€50,000 is not enough health insurance if you are in a (very serious) accident abroad. The usual is €1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

AIB seem to have a good travel insurance section, think i'll go with them

http://aib-travel.ina-box.co.uk/

• Advertisement
Advertisement