Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Voluntary Organisations {Non - Profit} ?..

Options
  • 13-09-2003 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I decided to have a look at the number of Not For Profit Voluntary Organisations that have links on the Net. So, I went to the Search engine *Google - Ireland, and typed in the following:- Irish Voluntay Organisations {Non - Profit} .

The result produced 10 pages, listing a total of *5070 (Five thousand and Seventy Organisations). Obviously I can not list all of them.

So, may I suggest that anyone interested in this type of work. Please do as I did and choose the Organisation that appeals to you, and believe me real hard work is involved when you become involved in genuine voluntary work.

Unfortunately, here in Ireland there are a large number of - so called - Voluntary Community Development Organisations, which have been set up specifically too milk the *Grant Aid available and create a very comfortable income for the founders. Rather than help their Communities. Most of these *Scam Organisations are usually registered as {Limited Companies i.e. Ltd appears after their Name}. This is generally a method of protecting the Directors from any legal liability, after the set-up comes under suspicion, and then it can simply go in to *Voluntary liquidation, leaving the Directors able to walk free, with nothing anyone can do about it.

However, I must stipulate that not all Organisations that register as Limited Liability Companies are Scams, but it is imho better that people are made aware that this practise is very common in Ireland.

Finally, anyone who looks up and finds obviously genuine Voluntary Organisations might post a link on this thread. As I can not personally list all 5070 on my own ?..

Good luck,and enjoy the just rewards of voluntary work.

I look forward to seeing a growing list of genuine Non-Profit Voluntary Organisations ?.. and those bodies of a *Charitable nature, which have been officially recognised as such by our Tax Authorities.

P.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Are you aware that 21st of September 2003. Is the worldwide PeaceOneDay celebration day. Volunteers are always needed in every Country, including Ireland.

If you believe we need Peace in the World for at least One Day, why not become a pro-active volunteer ?..

It can become a worthwhile year round activity. The Organisation behind this special day is Worldwide and Officially recognised by the UN.

Full details on their very comprehensive website at:- Click on this link=
    www.peaceoneday.org

All the best.

Paddy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

find a group that interests you that way you will gain more personaly from volunteering for it

Don't get put off by the Ltd nonsences that an early poster put up about Limited companies any well organised voluntary/community group will have a ltd status they would be mad not to. They also couldn't employ any staff if they hadn't it

But By all means check out the group before hand either by asking around or seeing how long they have been around

Two LGBT groups that use voluenteers are
    www.outhouse.ie Dublin's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community center

and gay switchboard dublin which run a helpline, can't remember they web address off hand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It's a funny old world alright, you give to a charity but the people at the centre aren't volunteers. They get an economic wages as evidenced by Colm O'Gorman's eighty grand as chair of the one in four (victims of institutional abuse among others) group. They rely on volunteers to do the work that they are given grants or donations for. I would have my suspicions that charities are just another industry with people making their money out of it. But i know too that the work done inside and outside Ireland does make a difference in peoples lives. Whether it be a samaratans phone attendant or a foreign aid worker building a sustainable well there is good being done out there.

star gazer,

I am very aware of many genuine Irish voluntary/charitable organisations. Working both here within Ireland and abroad, and I support them in every way possible.

However, unfortunately as I tried to explain in my first post. In small communities throughout Ireland there exist an unbelievable number of Community Development Groups which have been set up specifically for the benefit of the Directors and selected employees. Who pay themselves very handsomely out of grant aid which is meant to help the communities in which they are based.

Perhaps it is time our Government set up a task force to investigate how much public funding has ended up in private pockets.

A name and shame campaign might help, but the corrupt Politicos have the system sown up so tightly that I for one will not be holding my breath waiting for such an initiative ?..

P.:ninja:

Originally posted by star gazer
    It's a funny old world alright, you give to a charity but the people at the centre aren't volunteers. They get an economic wages as evidenced by Colm O'Gorman's eighty grand as chair of the one in four (victims of institutional abuse among others) group. .

where did you get the info that Colm O Gorman is on 80K? I would be very suprissed if that was the case.

• Advertisement

where did you get the info that Colm O Gorman is on 80K? I would be very suprissed if that was the case.
    qwertyphobia

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/index.php3?issue_id=9926

'One in Four head Colm O'Gorman earns €80k a year
    THE director of One in Four, Colm O'Gorman, who threatened to close the victims-of-abuse organisation last week because of lack of funds, is on a salary of €80,000 a year.'

Perhaps it is time our Government set up a task force to investigate how much public funding has ended up in private pockets.
    paddy20

task force- another nice little earner for fifteen party activists! :)

Maybe there is a better accountability when a charity have to work hard to get the money rather than just get on some band wagon of grant-aid.

thanks for the link

This is a time of year for a lot of people to be very limited in what they can do. Old people can be house bound, young people can be unable to outside and play football etc. It is important that people give just an hour or two a week to give others a chance of feeling less alone on the one hand and having something to do besides going out drinking on the other. I would like to support what Paddy20 and qwertyphobia have said and say voluntary work is challenging, but it can also be very rewarding to see the smiles on peoples faces as they are helped by you.
    There are plenty of organisations that are out there that would be very grateful to you for your support. Find something you have some interest in and go do it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by Paddy20
    However, unfortunately as I tried to explain in my first post. In small communities throughout Ireland there exist an unbelievable number of Community Development Groups which have been set up specifically for the benefit of the Directors and selected employees. Who pay themselves very handsomely out of grant aid which is meant to help the communities in which they are based.

I know of one myself, and I know what goes on there as I did a stint of summer work there. Left me rather disillusioned.

Again, this is not about charities, rather grant-funded local community development groups; well some of them.

Just came upon this website: www.volunteeringireland.com
    Could be very useful for anyone wishing to become a volunteer.

P. :ninja:

• Advertisement
Advertisement