Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding 2004 Canada Trip!

Options
  • 13-09-2003 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

As any of the regular annual snowboarding trip guys know I'm in Canada at the moment and am gona get a job over here somewhere on one of the ski hills here for the winter season coming up.

What I'm wondering is if I was to check out and price everything from flights to accomodation and ski passes etc would there be anyone interested in coming over here for 10 days in 2004 instead of going to Italy as usual? This is open to everyone not just the usual trip regulars...

I'm posting this now because I know most of you are probably saving your coin for this years trip by now :)

FYI the resort will almost certainly be in the Banff region and not whistler as whistler is ridiculously expensive and only as good as most of the hills in Banff. By Banff I mean probably Sunshine or Lake Louise (www.skibanff.com). If you check it out Sunshine gets as much snow as Whistler on average and has something in the region of 7000 acres of skiable slopes. (of the top of my head!)

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'll pretty much definitely be interested, the only thing is I wouldn't mind getting an extra trip in before the Canada one if I can possibly afford it, as you lads have a bit more experience than me and I want to make sure I'll keep up. I'll look into the likelyhood of organizing an earlier trip if people are interested or can't go on the Canadian one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

Would be interested...depending on the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Well the ski season on most of the hills here starts around November and finishes, depending on the year, sometime around the end of april/start of may.

The Italy trip has cost me somewhere in the region of a grand each year we've gone (altho I suspect it would be less this year as I now own all my own equipment). At the moment I have no idea how much this trip is going to cost but it will be more expensive than the italy trip, for obvious reasons. That said I would be suprised if it cost more than a grand and a half.

I'm not going to start pricing things until I find out where I'm going to be working for the winter and if I can get any staff discounts or better rates on anything. But even if I cant you all have a unique opportunity in that I can make sure you get the best deals going on everything as I'll be here on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

hmm, any holiday money I save and any holiday I plan on having will be diving orientated for the foreseeable future :o

Still can't wait to go boarding at some stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by Shad0r
    FYI the resort will almost certainly be in the Banff region and not whistler as whistler is ridiculously expensive and only as good as most of the hills in Banff. By Banff I mean probably Sunshine or Lake Louise (www.skibanff.com).

Hey, don't be knocking my local ski hill :)

I thought the three Banff-area hills (Lake Louise, Sunshine, Banff-Norquay) worked out to 7700 acres and about 230 runs? Whistler-Blackcomb has just over 7000 acres and over 200 runs. So compare Whistler with all three resorts at once and it might be a fair comparison... One thing that the Rockies do have going for them is the snow - lots of lovely powder, while the snow in Whistler can be a bit wetter.

Cost wise, a day ticket for Whistler during the peak season runs around $70 Canadian - Sunshine and Lake Louise are up around $60 if I'm not mistaken? Don't know if it would work out to be too different over the course of a week or two.

Accomodation and food might be more expensive in Whistler I guess... not really sure. Nightlife in Whistler is pretty manic, and it probably gets a lot busier which can be botha good and a bad thing.

Anyway, Whistler gets my vote as I'd drive up to meet you guys for a day or two on the hill. Don't know if I fancy driving to the Rockies in the middle of winter.

P.S. Snowing in Whistler already - winter is on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

It started snowing in the Banff national park last week aswell. Alot of the lower elevation stuff has melted now though...

Still I've seen Nakiska, Louise and Fortress covered in snow :)

Fortress is a dump :) Nakiska (home to the Calgary winter olympics a few years back) looks too small for my liking and I'm told its too windy there. Lake Louise looked pretty nice and I'm told its nice to ski. I've yet to see Sunshine but I'm looking forward to boarding there.

cerebus you ever boarded on Jaspers hill? Wondering if its any good. I've heard good things and some bad. But the bad was from ski'ers who like vertical stuff so...

Advertisement