Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2003 World Kayak Surf Championships

Options
  • 09-09-2003 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

If this isn't in the right forum please feel free to chuck it out.

2003 World Kayak Surf Championships

This is apparently in Ireland this year down in Sligo - Easky, Enniscrone and Strandhill I think.
    I'm going to be in the area so what should I hope to see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You'll probably see a bunch of twats trying to ride waves in a craft that was not designed to be in the surf.

Those guys have absolutely no control in the water and are a hazard to those around them. Most of them show very little respect to other water users too.

They should've stayed in the rivers ***.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

To be fair, the people competing in the worlds are probably going to be slightly better than your average goat boater. (Don't get me wrong though, I would agree with you that most of the kayak surfers you run into around Ireland tend to be a hazard to boards and surfers alike)

I'd imagine that the competition should be pretty spectacular, provided they get good conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Enygma its guys like you who give kayak surfers a bad name MOST boardies and kayak surfers get on grand and alot of boardies and paddlers both surf (on boards and paddle) ... kayak sufing is a relativly new sport compared to board surfing so some noobies might not know the Surf Etiquette

The few time i've gone kayak surfing I got on fine with the boardies and rant about surf conditions e.t.c :) but I have heard stories of boardies up the west coast being a bit .... conservative? and dont wanna see anyone else on "their" waves!

Actually whitey it's most goaties that give goaties a bad name. Its not just that they have no ettiquite, they have NO control on a wave, those things were NOT designed for wave-riding. This makes them unpredictable and dangerous for other water users. I guess they don't care though, they're the ones with the helmets and life-jackets so they should be ok right?

If you really want to try some sit down surfing get yourself on a surf-ski. It's basically a sit down surfboard with a thruster fin set up giving the rider as much control as a stand up surfer.
    kayak sufing is a relativly new sport compared to board surfing so some noobies might not know the Surf Etiquette

Ignorance is no excuse. Surf-skiing is even newer here but they seem to know the ettiquette.

I'd advise PH01 to head up the coast to see some real surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

whoah, it just got hot in here :p
    Handbags at dawn! I can see where he's coming from, they weren't designed for the surf and they don't have the control of a surfboard or bodyboard for that matter, they are a danger to other water users.

I think if you'd been surfing for as long as some of the locals and one day some lad showed up with his kayak you'd be a bit shocked and peeved that the only one in control pending a crash is yourself on your surfboard :eek:

Hopefully the event goes well and you can expect to see lots of kayaks in the sea surfing waves, hopefully not ploughing any surfers en route ;)

personal opinion time - they should all get surfboards, I feel sorry for any surfers that have to keep an eye out for some guy with a paddle in a huge heavy chunk of plastic..

• Advertisement

Enygma you don't know what your talking bout :(

I never said we didn't have Etiquette both boardies and padlers have beginners ffs.

"they have NO control on a wave, those things were NOT designed for wave-riding"

I'd love to know where ya got that from? Every single playboat/freestyle kayak designed has surfing performance taking into account. And some modles have thruster fins and all have rails! If they have no control how come they can do far more move/triks/stunts then a boardie.

designed for super fast surfing & carving,Use it on waves of any size

This 2003 KAYAK (not surf ski) has fins

So does this kayak Note the bit about the fins and the RAILS

Oh and for feck sake a surf ski is a kayak and surf skiers are paddlers and most dont just stick to surf sking , most skiers do some other form of paddling whether it be river running marathon polo or sea kayaking.

I don't feel sorry for surfers playboats and surf skis have plenty of control and we do stick to ques and the rules.

Oh and Enygma its boardies like you who give boardies a bad name. I've never ever had a problem with boardies some of my paddling buddies both paddle and surf on boards.

Ya I'm sorry, you're clearly in the right.

:confused: No need to apoligise Enygma :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

..now that you all got that outta yer system...

Thanks for the education there ^whitey^ & Enygma - it'll give me an idea for what to look out for at the weekend. Should be good - they're forcasting pretty good swells.

Pity its clashing with the liffey descent :( would have liked to see it.

Ahwell if anybody would like to see some CARNAGE head to the straffan weir in (next to the K Club) Kildare for 12:30 and watch a couple of hundred kayaks go over this weir in the space of a few mins. Note: its on low water at the moment the dams will release plenty of water for the race :D

Entertainment garaunteed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Start of Rant:

They can Fúck Right Off.

Kayakers are the BMW drivers of the surf. Blindly careering down a wave with a big toy. I respect all Surfers, Spongers and Bodysurfers, as these are all sports that takes skill, fitness, patience and guts. Kayakers - I can't stand 'em. Of course, they have as much right to the water as everyone else, just stay the fúck away from the rest of us.

End of Rant.

Since when does kayaking not take skill, fitness, patience and guts ??

nokayaks.jpg

:D:p:D

lol :rolleyes: dont know about it being a right.

Sure lads if it requires so much "guts" on the big wave or whatever then why do boardies rant about kayakers having all the helmets and B.A's e.t.c

And sure so what if a big chunk of plastic is coming at ye if ya have so much skill and guts ww)

I dunno you never really see them out on big days do you?

There was one time last year there were three sea-pigs out on a big day and in fairness to them they were taking their beatings and getting their just rewards. I wouldn't like to wipeout on a big wave in one of those things so I guess it does take some guts.

They've got a really bad name, around Cork at least because they tend to enter the water in their dozens which isn't going to be taken very well in any line-up no matter what you're riding. Also most of them don't know anything about surfing ettiquette so that doesn't help either. (I'm talking about the ones where I surf, it is true).

We rant about all that gear they wear because we don't wear any of it, why should they?
    Do they really need to rely on lifejackets? Can't they swim? I swim long distances regularly so I know that if my leash breaks I can swim/bodysurf to shore or after my board. Any why do they wear helmets on beach breaks? I wonder if it's because they keep bashing into each other and those around them?

*sigh* It's hard to try and argue this point without getting worked up. Nearly every sea-pig in my area is a hazard in the water.

If you're going to show some respect and skill then you're welcome in the line-up. I just wish that they would!

I'm not going to argue those points cause it seems a waste of time at this stage (your pulling hairs), maybe boardies take the sport a bit too seriously.

But one point I do wanna make is that I do all my kayak surfing in cork ( garretstown mostly ) I dont do it that often but whenever I have gone out myself and my buddies get on grand with the boardies and bodyboarders and we all stick to ques and whatever.

Its all about the banter and the sport (i thought you were having the bant when you posted that pic - i was wrong).

ReefBreak described a kayak as a big toy ... of course it is, its all about the having a good time. Why else would ya do it?

Oh not all of us wear the gear out in the surf but on beaches with groins noobies do cause if they crash-head for a groin-don't roll in time = a smack in the face by a groin where as boardies dodge them easier.

Lets face it kayak sufring is becoming more popular here ever day (the fact that we held the worlds proves it) also the fact that we won the team event is gonna make it alot more popular.

So ReefBreak,Enygma we're here to stay, get used to it :D and stop yer bitchin' Ye dont own the beaches and ye dont own the surf.

1) Yes it's a waste of time arguing, I tried to stop but I couldn't resist :)

2) If you get on fine with all the boardies in the water then that's fine, it's the vast majority of sea-pigs that don't are the ones I have problems with.

3) I was having a bant, it's a funny pic!
    Oh not all of us wear the gear out in the surf but on beaches with groins noobies do cause if they crash-head for a groin-don't roll in time = a smack in the face by a groin where as boardies dodge them easier.

4)Ye all wear it! And you're finally admitting you have less/no control (whereas boardies dodge them easier) :p ( I'm trying to stop I swear!)

5) I was trying to be reasonable in my last post but it's hard. I probably do take it too seriously alright.

6) Never seen a sea-pig in the freke, is there a reason for that? They only seem to surf garrettstown. Maybe I'm wrong.
    So ReefBreak,Enygma we're here to stay, get used to it and stop yer bitchin'

8) Maybe, but it doesn't mean we have to like it, besides it would be boring if we all got on, right?

I'll probably see ya down in garrettstown some day, say hi if you see some guy giving out about sea-pigs (oh wait a sec that's just about everyone!)

OK I'm done! :D

Maybe I should have rephrased that when boardies crash they can swim in time + they have leashes .... kayakers don't and have to roll. Also yer not stuck upside down ye float right back up and don't have the risk of yer head being ground against the bed whether it be on a reef break (rocks) or beach (sand) ... Big difference.

If you only see them surf in garretstown how do you know they always wear the gear? ... whats wrong with noobies wearing gear.

Enygma you've already proved you don't know what your talking about "Ya I'm sorry, you're clearly in the right" so stop digging yer own hole
    :rolleyes: please make sure you know what your talking about before you make any more ignorant comments.

Enygma your welcome to borrow my Riot Glide sometime on the water and I bet you won't catch one wave without swimming.

That kinda attitude on the water will get you no where.

Jaysus you need to chill out a bit man! I'm only taking the p*ss.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement