Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] 'Spectacular traffic jams' warning - St Stephen's Green / Cuffe Street

Options
  • 09-09-2003 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/1427331?view=Eircomnet
    'Spectacular traffic jams' warning
    Tuesday, 9th September, 2003

MOTORISTS face "spectacular" new traffic jams right across Dublin arising from a St Stephen's Green ban on traffic from next Sunday for the Luas project, writes Treacy Hogan.

The Automobile Association warned of the risk of "spectacular traffic jams" affecting the entire city as a result of the ban.

Gardai yesterday warned motorists that traffic will not be allowed to drive from St Stephen's Green South onto Cuffe St for about four weeks starting next Sunday.

Drivers wishing to access Cuffe Street from St Stephen's Green will now have to divert up Earlsfort Terrace, turn right into Hatch Street Upper and turn right again into Harcourt Street before being able to get onto Cuffe St.

With Harcourt Street already the scene of horrendous delays this latest restriction is bound to increase traffic chaos.
    You could also divert via Earlsfort Terrace, Adelaide Road and Camden Street / Hetyesbury Street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

MOTORISTS face "spectacular" new traffic jams right across Dublin arising from a St Stephen's Green ban on traffic from next Sunday for the Luas project, writes Treacy Hogan.

The Automobile Association warned of the risk of "spectacular traffic jams" affecting the entire city as a result of the ban.

Is this irony or sarcasm. I find it so difficult to tell these days:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Is Owen Keegan and the Traffic Dept taking any specific steps to alleviate measures?

DCC have been exceptionally poor in responding to the Luas works in general.

If the turn from George's st onto Dame St was re-opened for motorists it would help with some of the traffic flow.

Bee

• Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bee
    Is Owen Keegan and the Traffic Dept taking any specific steps to alleviate measures?
    Why don't you <censored> ask him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Why don't you <censored> ask him?

I have! The response from DCC in general is exceptionally poor, usually very arrogant and it takes a looonnnggg time.

Perhaps if you are over that side of the city, take a stroll opposite the "Bleeding Horse Pub". On the road leading towards The Pod, there is a nice coffee shop, adorning its window is a nice bright A4 highlighting the multiple local business's refusal to to pay for increased rates along with their completely legitimate requests to DCC (especially Keego and his boyz) for items under his control to be looked after. :rolleyes:

Any positive suggestions as to how the economic damage created by the Luas fiasco may be lessened?

Any positive suggestions as to how to lessen the congestion caused by the closure of Stephen's Green?

Bee

Originally posted by Bee
    Any positive suggestions as to how the economic damage created by the Luas fiasco may be lessened?
    By the absolute fortune that will be raked in by local businesses when Luas is opened.
    Originally posted by Bee
    Any positive suggestions as to how to lessen the congestion caused by the closure of Stephen's Green?
    I'd suggest going Adelaide Road rather than Hatch Street / Harcourt Street. Adelaide Road has been flowing much better recently.

• Advertisement

Luas link

http://www.luas.ie/news/recent_announcements.asp?action=view&news_id=12

However I love their updates (all the same) that say.
    LUAS Construction Update by Ger Hannon

Line C Area 11
    We are pleased to advise that LUAS Construction works are now at a very advanced stage. All Track, on both lines, will be in place by Christmas.

We are currently reviewing outstanding works and hope to publish updates focusing on works outstanding next month.

For further information in relation to LUAS you may contact us on Freefone 1800-67-64-64.

Source: LUAS
    Sure the track will be finished by Christmas, but (a) what about platforms, overhead gantries, cabling (b) which Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I just got in from one of those nightmare jams.

I didnt know that cuffe street crossing was closed so it took me an hour(44.45pm-5.45pm) to get from Merrion square via pearse street to the river liffey at o'connell st(which is where i didnt want to go).

It was grand on northside, just getting out of southside is nightmare. I among others was getting a bit of road rage at one point driving at snail pace of less than 5mph
    All i wanted was to get to georges st/patrick st, heading to northwest of city !

Tourists were standing on stephens green looking in awe at the huge jam !

How do i get from the approaches to mount st lwr to georges st ?
    There are no right turns to get there, most of it is 1-way?

Originally posted by gurramok
    How do i get from the approaches to mount st lwr to georges st ?
    You need to think a bit laterally.

Yellow: normal route

Black: Luas

Pink: best route (only pinch point was Cuffe St - guess what it's closed)

Navy: tends to be very busy

Red: everybody else being diverted will be using this so avoid it.

Pale blue - not sure if it works because of oneway streets, but you could park in Stephens Green SC / College of Surgeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thx for map, excellent !

Thanks to the re-routing of signs, pale blue is like mission impossible to reach georges st with right turn, it requires a hazardous u-turn somewhere on one of those narrow streets near RCSurgeons(thats how i did it last time). Most of this route tends to leave you heading either east or south ! :)

That left turn from Dawson st to nassau st should be temporarily re-instated to stop the likes of me been diverted to the likes of pearse st in future.

Must try adelaide road (pink route)next time. There are way too many right-turn bans coming from northumberland/baggot st direction to top of camden st and also further on to clanbrassil st which moves better and avoids the main city centre congestion.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2003/09/21/story114277.html
    LUAS 'mess' draws Labour criticism
    21/09/2003 - 8:45:03 am

The Labour Party has added to the criticism of the Government's handling of the routing of LUAS trams through Dublin's Red Cow roundabout.

Transport Minister Seamus Brennan has admitted that elements of the LUAS system are "a mess".

Fine Gael hit out at the Tánaiste, yesterday, for not making her concerns over the LUAS known at an earlier stage.

Labour leader Pat Rabbitte said: "You have the Tánaiste joining Minister Brennan in saying it’s a mess, as if it had nothing to do with them, but who created the mess?"

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p119.htm
    EARLY REOPENING FOR DUBLIN STREET
    Traffic flow in Dublin city, from St Stephen's Green South to Cuffe Street, will be restored tomorrow morning. The Railway Procurement Agency said work on laying tracks from Harcourt St to St Stephen's Green has been completed ahead of schedule. It began in the middle of last month and had been due to last four weeks. Cuffe Street had been closed to traffic travelling from the Green, causing some disruption.

Advertisement