Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird one, character crossover from tng to voyager

Options
  • 08-09-2003 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the episode with Tom Paris in The Next Generation? Only they didn't call him Tom Paris. It was the same actor, and the same history (cocky pilot, tried to pull off a dangerous flight stunt, ****ed up, tried to cover it up and got kicked out for it), only they called him "nicholas ricardo" or something to that effect. Bit of a ****-up there.

I've also noticed they re-used actors as extras in both Voyager and Enterprise, but that isn't really a biggy.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i remember the episode the one with wesley in it etc. but i don't think it was a **** up as he was never meant to be tom paris, they do reuse the same extra's/actors though presumably cause there good, e.g jefferey combs, brunt, weyoun, the andorian in enterprise, or j.g hertzler (i think his name is) who plays martok and the klingon lawyer in an episode of enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bikini widow

they have always done this. e.g.

Michael Dorn playing Colonel Worf in
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

Armin Shimerman playing two different frengis in TNG and DS9.

loads more.

aye and while where on this subject, rene auberjonois played a colonel in star trek 6 also as well as odo, not sure if it was in the cinematic release but hes in it, or if hes in the cinematic release he may not be credited or something

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah but in this case it wasn't just the actor, it was the entire character history all but the name.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Yeah but in this case it wasn't just the actor, it was the entire character history all but the name.

I think they jsut thought that the character might be interesting to develop further (they needed a renegade with a past etc for Voyager) and picked this one, but gave him a new name and new personal history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i though it all came together well that he just changed his name to tom paris because of his past history..............course that all went arseshaped when his dad turned up as a admiral called paris !

i also remember Siskos dad showing up as a starfleet officer in ST 6 i bleave......AND tuvok showing up in.......hm Star trek 7 on the enterprise B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Tuvok was also in an episode of TNG, can't remember the name but its the episode when the enterprise was being cleaned by some array, he was try to steal parts? (havn't seen it in a while :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Oh ya i remember that now they where stealing a by-product from the warp engines when the ship was being cleaned of something ........as i recall he was the first to be killed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shortie518

Sisko's dad was also in trek 4 and played admiral cartwright, though he was never named in the movie. As for tuvok, he was stealing trilithium resin from the warp core. He aslo played a klingon in a first season episode of ds9 where some guy came along and stole the dax symbiont. Did you know that rom also was a ferengi in tng in the episode the gift where the character called kamalla came out of the egg. She was supposed to be a gift for some guy to seal a treaty between two warring worlds. How about that for trek knowledge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by bizmark
    i also remember Siskos dad showing up as a starfleet officer in ST 6 i bleave......AND tuvok showing up in.......hm Star trek 7 on the enterprise B

Tuvok was alive back then as far as i remember. There was an episode in voyager where Janeway and Tuvok mind-meld and go into his memory of when he was in Star-Trek under Capt Sulu.

I thought Tom Paris was put in prison in TNG cause of the manouver that killed a pilot (disgracing his dad - the Admiral) and in Voyager, they took him out. Or something similar. Was he in the Macquis? Or why was he selected to fly the ship through the badlands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He got kicked out of the academy for that maneouvor (whereas wesley crusher and his chums got punished less severely). That was the end of what happened to him in TNG. In voyager we find out that afterwards he joined the maquis and got arrested on his first flight. Then janeway drags him out of prison so he can help her find the maquis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Let's clear up some of the BS and double-talk:

The "Tom Paris" character was intended to be the "Nicholas Locarno" from ST:TNG episode 5.19 "The First Duty". But Paramount weren't willing to pay the crap load of money to the writer of that episode (who has copyright on the characters created in that episode) that would be required to allow "Tom Paris" to be "Nicholas Locarno". The character's history was then maniplated to make "Tom Paris" a different character to "Nicholas Locarno".

Brock Peters played "Admiral Cartwright" in ST4:TVH and ST6:TUC and "Joesph Sisko" in ST:DS9 episodes in the 4th, 6th and 7th seasons. He also played "General Mi'Qogh" in the Star Trek video game "Star Trek: Starfleet Command III".

Tim Russ played a nameless uncredited character (without pointy ears) in ST6:TUC and credited character known only as "Lieutenent" in ST:Generations, again without pointy ears.

This character was then manipulated into being Lt. Tuvok in ST:V episode 3.02 "Flashback", in which scences from ST6:TUC were recreated (and pointy ears were added to Tuvok's character). Russ also played "Tuvok" in ST:DS9 episode 3.19 "Through the Looking Glass".

Michael Dorn appeared as "Colonel Worf" in ST6:TUC, supposedly as some sort of ancestor to Lt. Worf from ST:TNG.

Avery Brooks, who played "Benjaimin Sisko" in ST:DS9 has been an associate professor of theater arts in Rutgers University since 1976.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On a side note, its not just actors being reused, the amount of time I've seen the same 'paintings' of citys in different series of ST's amazes me.

One I've seen in TNG, Voyager and DS9
    just waiting for it to appear in Enterprize now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I love it when they re-use actors again and again between the different shows...

"ahh he was Odo's Doctor on Bajor in DS9..."

I hate it when they re-use backdrops or planets...thats just lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

How about reusing the klingon ship exploding from ST6:TUC in ST:Generations...??

Now there's real laziness....

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

What about Kim's g/f (Libby, aka Jennifer Gatti) having a thing for Warf (as Ba'el in TNG). That's one that slipped by me for a while (ridges vs no ridges:)) until on a TNG repeat I clicked the voice and googled.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

No the charachter was never meant to be Tom Paris. His name was Nick Lorcano he was played by the same actor as Tom Paris (Robert Duncan Macneil).

Also tom paris was discharged from starfleet after a piloting accident when he was a fully commissioned officer which killed 2 of his crew mates.

Originally posted by DMT
    How about reusing the klingon ship exploding from ST6:TUC in ST:Generations...??

Now there's real laziness....

:ninja:

i don't think its laziness just pull scabbyness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

DMT, I like your attention to detail! Wish I could keep it all in my head like that...

There's been so much actor re-use in Trek. The first had to be Majel Roddenberry as Number One in the first Star Trek pilot, The Cage, and of course Lwaxana Troi. The actress for the Dr. Catherine Pulaski character in TNG was in two TOS episodes (as two different characters). James Cromwell was in DS9 as an alien dealing with Quark I think, as well as playing the warp-engine creator in Generations. And that Founders lackey in DS9 has played many a Ferengi and Andorian and other aliens no doubt too...

Originally posted by Cloud
    James Cromwell was in DS9 as an alien dealing with Quark I think, as well as playing the warp-engine creator in Generations. And that Founders lackey in DS9 has played many a Ferengi and Andorian and other aliens no doubt too...

I dont think i knew about james cromwell playing someone else thats pretty cool i must find out more bout that

with regard to the vorta/andorian/ferengi that jeffrey combs i think and he's pretty cool i think he does a great job with all the characters he plays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Cloud

There's been so much actor re-use in Trek. The first had to be Majel Roddenberry as Number One in the first Star Trek pilot, The Cage, and of course Lwaxana Troi.

She also provided the voice of the computer for TNG

James Cromwell was also in TNG as the leader of a world. Cant remember the episode name but one of the main charaters was called roge danar and was some kinda former soldier turned prisoner. Jeffrey Coombs is the guy your thinking of. He has played the Vorta Weyoon, Brunt-FCA, and a number of other characters including the Andorian in enterprise. Anyone also notice gowron playing another alien in enterprise? The one where the klingons sent 2 mercs after archer.

yeah i remember that episode with cromwell in it now. they kicked the soldiers off the world when the war finished or something after them being genetically enhanced fighters or something.

not sure about gowron but i'd say he did play someone in enterprise alright. also martok played a klingon in enterprise too archers legal representative in another one of those show trials

And some trek actors that have acted recently outside trek.

Marina Sirtis starred in an episode of Stargate SG1 as a russian scientist.
    Rene Auberjonois also starred in Stargate SG1 as the leader of an advanced human offshoot group on an alien world.
    John Billingsley starred in (wait for it) Stargate SG1 as a human scientist as part of an offworld recon and investigation team.
    Nana Visitor starred in several episodes of Dark Angel playing queen bitch of the guys trying to catch Max.

Before trek, Michael Dorn had a recurring role in CHiPs as one of the chp officers. And a very young James Sloyan had a guest role as a brilliant but very arrogant eye surgeon in the show. James played the romulan defector in TNG, and among others, Dr. Jettrell in VOY.

Anyone have more of these, please post them here!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

More scene reusing.

The corridors of TNG Enterprise D are same as ones used in ST V: Final Frontier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Originally posted by shortie518

Rene Auberjonois also starred in Stargate SG1 as the leader of an advanced human offshoot group on an alien world.

he's also the voice of jonathon in the rugrats

which ones jonathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by shortie518
    And some trek actors that have acted recently outside trek.

John Billingsley starred in (wait for it) Stargate SG1 as a human scientist as part of an offworld recon and investigation team.

Saw that over the weekend... great line in it...
    Originally uttered by John Billingsley in SG1
    "Vulcan! And I don't know how you can call yourself
    a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry."

heh

Stargate is great for that sort of thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    which ones jonathon?

angelica's mother's sectetary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

Marc Alaimo has a few im surprised nobody mentioned him.

An antican in TNG episode Lonely Among Us.
    A romulan commander in TNG episode The Neutral Zone
    A gambler in TNG episode Times Arrow
    Gul macet in TNG episode The wounded
    Then Gul dukat in DS9
    he played 2 other characters in one of the DS9 episodes called Far beyond the stars, set in 1950's. (sidekicked by jeffery combs)

Advertisement