Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been a volunteer?

Options
  • 07-09-2003 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I want to get a feel for peoples volunteering experience. It would be helpfull if you could elaborate below and tell us more about what you have done.

Have you ever been a volunteer? (multiple choice) 34 votes

Yes other (Please post below)
    0% 0 votes
    No other
    17% 6 votes
    I have volunteered with a charity
    0% 0 votes
    I have volunteered with an emergency service
    32% 11 votes
    I have volunteered abroad in disaster relief
    14% 5 votes
    No but I would think about doing it
    0% 0 votes
    (If yes) I am currently active
    8% 3 votes
    (If Yes) I am not currently active
    26% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 nick_riviera

Just noticed this board,its a great idea,well done Redshift.I did some voluntary work as an English teacher in Thailand earlier this year for a couple of months.Arranged it through a company called i-to-i - I wouldn't recommend it,as the whole operation could have been better organised,they save you having to arrange a placement yourself,but in retrospect I could have sorted things out myself and saved a lot of money in the process.Nonetheless,I had a great time in a pretty remote region of the country,learnt a lot about another culture and made some good friends along the way.Came back with plenty of stories for everyone too.I'd recommend it to anyone.Never done anything voluntary in Ireland,I hope to get some ideas here,SVP or something maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Works with a China Orphans charity and done some calls work with the Samaritans,

Very rewarding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Once again I was with the Red Cross.

RunFree

PS still trying to get details for more volunteer orginasations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by bloggs
    Works with a China Orphans charity
    Very rewarding :)

Who are they and what do they do? DO you have a website link please?

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

I used to work with the Order of Malta,

Also, I'm currently a member of my local community council, and am also heavily involved in a youth leadership organisation in West Dublin/North Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm actually a Guide Leader - can hear all the s******ing already!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

I've been a facilitator with Aware. Aware helps people with depression with support groups, a helpline, a secondary schools education program and a non ending campaign to publicise dealing with depression.

Advertisement