Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Money for proofs

Options
  • 05-09-2003 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I read that Erdos used to give money for proofs to theorems, and that the process is still goin on AFAIK. Is this true? Are there any sites which'll give info on any outsanding theorems? Mite be able to get some money, if i'm lucky... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Yeah, Erdos did that, and some people are continuing on his fund for the problems that he left outstanding after he died. Mainly to do with number theory and graph theory iirc. Perhaps some ramsey theory? Can't remember the name of the chap that's doing that though, AT&T chap, expert juggler and acrobat, record for largest number used in a proof ... um ...

Oh, the goldbach conjecture thing was a stunt by faber to sell that book, but you can also make a million by solving any of the problems that the clay institute set.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Andrew Wiles picked up a few grand of a prize for proving Fermats last theorem. There was no money going for disproving it though.

There's a hundred grand if you can prove (or disprove AFAIR) the Riemann hypothesis. Reputedly pushed Nash over the edge though so probably not a good idea to even look at it if you're predisposed to any mental problems. It just looks so beautifully simple...

The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the problems named by the clay institute and therefore has one million dollars offered for it. There is a specific clause that says that disproof by exhaustive search does not qualify for the prize, but I don't remember hearing that about Fermat's ...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor
    Can't remember the name of the chap that's doing that though, AT&T chap, expert juggler and acrobat, record for largest number used in a proof ... um ...

Ron Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i thought a banker who was a bit of an armchair mathematician now funds the erdos prizes?

That sounds familiar. I think he promises to honour any of the blank cheques that erdos left behind ?

I can't find a decent online reference for this and I lent by book about him to someone ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you could find a set of numbers that disproved any of the theroms - you could try getting odds from a bookie - put down the bet and volia....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

If you could find a set of numbers that disproved any of the theroms - you could try getting odds from a bookie - put down the bet and volia....

Can just imagine going to a small town bookie
    "Hiya, What are the odds on the proof of there being a non-topologically similar 7-dimensional manifold with the same reduced Smith form as the Garfield diamond?"

Hehe the look on the bookie's face'd be hilarious! :D

(OK I made that thing up, but you get the idea)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

:D lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ecksor
    The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the problems named by the clay institute and therefore has one million dollars offered for it.
    (thanks for the correction)
    There is a specific clause that says that disproof by exhaustive search does not qualify for the prize, but I don't remember hearing that about Fermat's ...
    Simon Singh lists the rules of the Wolfskehl prize in Fermat's Last Theorem (p 135 on). As you suspected, it doesn't specifically say there's no money for disproving it but doesn't list anything other than money for proving it.
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    you could try getting odds from a bookie - put down the bet and volia....
    People apparently tried just that at the bookies in Cambridge just before Wiles' original (flawed) proof to Fermat was presented. Just as well the bets weren't taken as most people wanted to bet the theorem would be solved within the week (it wasn't)

(having another quick flick through the Singh book, Wiles picked up 50 thousand dollars for the proof)

Advertisement