Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good online games without monthly fee

Options
  • 04-09-2003 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I need to get some good online games wanted to get planetside and EVE but the answer from BILL when cerdit card was brought into play was f off so need the name of a few decent online games to play but no monthly fee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

www.tibia.com is free. Its got **** graphics, but its only one i can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

I dont mean completely free btw just one that doesnt require u to subscire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

I dont think u ppl get what i mean any game ever made that u can play online atm. For now all i play online is CS and Q3 but would like other to tell me what other excellent game are avaiable to play online bear in mind im on isdn!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Could give Diablo games a try, their not MMO, but their top down point + click RPGs which you can play on multiplayer, a very fun game (combat requires VERY fast mouse clicking skills :)), but beware there are people on-line who take this game beyond fanaticism, and will spend several hundred pounds of REAL money for in game items, some people in this game take it way to far, beware these people, for they are evil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

If you like online flight sime you might try FreeHost. Its a hacked version of the Warbirds 2.7 server thats been running for 2 years now. Community is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

LMAO dotsie, you a former ICI/IEN client yourself then i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Starcraft and warcraft can be fun when played online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

http://www.gunbound.com

Its worms, online, with vehicles, items, and you can dress up your character.

GO ROBIN HOOD TELLOX

...its pretty good, you should give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

tibia sucks donkey cheese
    (over an hour to get an account due to slow website and email)

after 5 minutes of playtime
    i felt like hammering nails into my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

http://www.hitechcreations.com/htcindex.html

You will need a Joystick. Its a pretty small download <35mb or so>. Its the Best WWII flight sim out there :) plenty of free servers runing all the time and only 10$ a Month for full multiplayer < 200-700 furballs :) >

Ive been Playing Airwarrior, Warbirds, WWIIOL and Aces High for near 10 years. Airwarrior was bought out by EA and Died, Warbirds is being Killed by its owner. WWIIOL Is great if you like accuratly modeled tanks and infantry but it can be boring for a Newbie. Aces High is Hard for a newbie you will die lots at first.

But soon youll think youre a real hot stick and be hooked like me for years :). btw AH2 out real soon.

Furzy

ps free play is H2H on clipboard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

there are a huge range of never winter nights servers out there and a lot of them a presistant worlds that can be logged into 24/7 with no Sub fee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Tellox
    http://www.gunbound.com

Its worms, online, with vehicles, items, and you can dress up your character.

GO ROBIN HOOD TELLOX

...its pretty good, you should give it a go
    You do realise that this game is in Japanese? How do you know what the hell is going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Does EvE charge monthly?

doesnt mention it on the box was tempted to get it when i have cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

yeah there is a monthly fee for eve. Its about €13 or there abouts... cant remember exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You wont find any MMOG out there that will be free. They have to be run on very expensive servers and have high running costs.

If that is what you are looking for your best bet is to try and get onto a beta. Otherwise try Neverwinter Nights online.

Rev in the RPG forum runs a server with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looking for a good online game? Check out Tribes 2 its awesome ;). At first I didn't think much of it, theres not much involved with the single player campaign just a few training missions. It is a completely multiplayer game to play on/offline. There are several game types also including: DM, CTF, Rabbit, Hunters, and Arena to name a few, plus many kewl mods for the game, teamwork is vital for survival in this game. You will need to purchase the game to obtain the serial key so you can create your online account. A copy of Tribes 2 should only cost about €10 in smyths near Jervis St SC. Some links: www.planettribes.com; www.tribalwar.com; www.tribesmedia.com. Btw there is a 3rd release of Tribes coming in spring 2004 entitled "Tribes Vengence" check: http://sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=412 for details.

Overall a great game with many clans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

What would u perfer?

-Blatant advertising in a mmorpg (e.g in EvE etc Billboards etc or in ultima NPCs going on about a new film or game and give u info.)
    etc etc

OR

-Monthly fee?

I think they should look into having advertising in mmorpgs to pay for the server costs.

i know its selling out but its only a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg

i know its selling out but its only a game...

Hell no.

"Hail Fine sir and sit down on this IKEA stool (29.95) and have a nice pepsi the choice of the Powerlevelling generation!".

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i wouldnt like it either in any game. to take the marketing garbage from our world and place it into a fantasy world would just ruin the whole experience. also, advertising wouldnt work in the medieval settings of many mmorpgs that are available today. although, if the game was set in the 21st century earth with the same marketing mentality that exists now, it wont put off many people to see blatant advertising since its part of our world now.

excessive advertising though would be crap though, but i wouldnt rule it out from future titles since the genre is about to grow.

adnans

i was watching planetside being played last week and i couldnt help but laugh at the intel ad's lol

almost as bad as CS uk2net servers :P

as to tribes 2, wrong forum dude, there was rumors of a mmog being made with the torque engine but thats all it was and the screenshots turned out to be nice renders thats about it.

Muonline, is purely hack and slah, but its free.

not to big a download either 64mb, there are plenty of free legend of mir servers and ultima online shards too.

but as to other freebies get on a beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Yeah,I was involved with the group of people who got a hold of the illegal legend of mir servers... And we really did find out about how lazy the european mir staff were. They claimed they couldnt add new enemies/items/maps ect, because it was too complex, and its only about 90% translated too on the european server... it also takes them days to install a patch after the release too.

We got a 0% translated v1.0 server, and within 3 weeks, we had it 100% translated, v1.4/1.5(it was one version higher then the official mir), and we had ton's of new enemies, items, and a few new maps. And yes, all with unique graphics. (apart from some of the weapons).

This server is still floating around online if you know where to look.. Its about 100mb or so, but shouldnt take too long to dl, its mostly text files.. You'll need some database tool (I think it was called DBClient) so you can manage everything properly.. Once you get everything working right, you can either boot up the client and play yourself, or if you have a fast computer and connection, you can invite your mates for a game.

Theres also a few mir servers still running... The only one of them I can remember off-hand is Dizzy's legendofmir3 server. Probably the most advanced of the lot. Semi-translated Evils Illusion server. Played it for a few weeks, its fantastic, but not a whole load of people play on the server due to lack of popularity. Try googling it sometime.

Dont suppose anybody knows of an MMORPG thats anything like an online Morrowind? I've been playing that for days now,and its truely epic..

theres always the mir server i play on

www.mirworlds.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Savage924

jaggeh wrote: »
    tibia sucks donkey cheese
    (over an hour to get an account due to slow website and email)

after 5 minutes of playtime
    i felt like hammering nails into my brain.

Took me less than 20 minutes to download and actually start playing from scratch , and just because you're not good at the game doesnt mean its bad XD

League of Legends is pretty good. Free aswell and even people that pay for in-game items and shtuff don't have a towering advantage over free users like some other games.

Oh , oh I also forgot a really good game. Warlight - it's a strategy turn-based game where basically you have a world map in front of you (or other maps , I remember seeing the LOTR map there one) and you have armies/numbers on countries and you must try and defeat the other player/s.

http://warlight.net/ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

<cough>... the previous posts are from 2003...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Welease wrote: »

WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ill never understand the hows and whys of necros like this

Gold star for perception.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Thread locked. Savage we generally don't appreciate thread necromancy (the act of resurrecting a thread that has "died", get it? ;)) as the content that is being replied to is seriously outdated. For example 9 years of internet development could account for someone taking an hour to access a game compared to 20 minutes 9 years later.

Feel free to start a similar/new thread if you like. And I'd suggest trying to get along with the locals. As a general rule, you should think of it like an actual MMO... using the cheesy grin in a sarcastic statement or the rolleyes, or sarcasm in general before people get to know you is a good way of making friends offending people.

Enjoy and welcome to Boards!
    P.s. forum charters provide free exp, so check them out and you can get a level for free!

Disclaimer: Boards.ie isn't an MMO, but wouldn't it be fun if it were? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement