Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greek Island Hopping

Options
  • 04-09-2003 2:25pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys,

Im supposed to be heading to Cyprus next June for a family wedding... and since Im going to be over that part of the Med, Im seriously thinking about doing some travelling, a bit of island hopping as some might call it...

So looking to spend maybe 2/3 weeks travelling around. Has anyone any suggestions as to where to go, what islands to visit, where to stay, any dos/donts etc..

Im looking to start planning early and try and get as much as possible in while im there for the 2/3 weeks.

So any advice, information, websites etc would be much appreciated..

Thanks,

Tox

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've spent 2 summers in Greece and if its night life you want then head to the Cyclades islands ie. Ios:D, Naxos, Santorini and Mykonos. Then onto the Dodecanese Islands, Kos and Rhodes being the most well known i suppose.(And they're on the way to Cyprus) I wouldn't bother with Crete as its very commercial.

Your lucky in that rooms should be cheap enough as its June. getting of the ferry can be daunting but best to get a room for the night (After haggling:) )and then go looking for cheaper rooms the next morning.

You should be fairly safe with your cash and Plane tickets. There are deposit box's on all the major Islands which are usually free once you use the place for buying Internet time, Ferry tickets, phone cards etc. You might have to give your passport to the person your renting your room from. This is perfectly normal and you get it back provided you pay:)

Search this forum as I know questions like yours have popped up before!

If you've any questions I'll answer them if i can:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

To be honest Ill probably be flying between islands if they are more than 5 hours on a ferry as i dont really want to waste any time on Ferries unless I have to...

Im going to be booking the week in Cyprus first as the date has to be confirmed (probably last week in June or 1st week in July)and then plan the rest of my trip around that..

Cheers for the info, Im sure Ill have more questions as time goes on.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What kind of island do you want to visit? Party, relaxed...?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

To be honest Gordon, a bit of everything, see some of the history of the islands, some partying, some nice quiet islands would be nice as well..

Bit of partyin, bit of culture.. :D

So all recommendations appreciated..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I don't know the islands that well but I've been to a couple.

Map

Close to Cyprus are the Dodecanese where Patmos exists. I'm not sure if there is an airport there though. Patmos is extremely chilled, a very religious island so they ban loud music after 9 or 10pm! It has an apparently cool monastery but I was too interested in driving a Vespa round the island for that nonsense. Byron wrote a lot of his work there too apparently. I recommend this island for its relaxed atmosphere and very nice beaches.

In the Kyklades are Patmos and Ios. Ios is extremely feckin loud/drinking/partying etc. Good craic for totty watching and beer guzzling. Paros does have an airport and it is a bit of a party island but is quite large so you can roam around for a day or so finding out cool wee beaches. I love Paros. You can also trip over the water to Antiparos which is meant to be a secluded sister island.

Sorry, I'm not a fount of knowledge on the islands.

I wouldn't put Crete totally out of your sights however. A Greek friend of mine loves it, he feels spiritually stronger whenever he goes there. He claims that the red wine and the olive oil contain special healing powers as they are particular to Greece. The people are a different culture also - being the only island in Greece to not be taken over by the Germans they are also the only islanders that bear arms. The tourist side of Crete is nothing like the real side to Crete apparently.

Good luck though, there are so many to choose from eh!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the map Gordon, I was having trouble finding a decent one. I reckon that If I spend about 2-3 days per island I should get to see a fair bit..

The idea is to travel for the 2/3 weeks before the wedding, start in Greece and head east ..go all over the place, do and see as much as possible and then I have a week in Cyprus to chill out and relax with the family.. :)

Advertisement