Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceman's Undiscovered Powers?

Options
  • 04-09-2003 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere once(can't remember where, but looking for it at the moment) that Iceman's ability to freeze himself and surrounding's derives from the fact that he can control the temperature from a part of the brain called the hyperthalamus.

Now if this is indeed the case, then he obviously has to be able to both lower and raise his temperature. Does this mean that Bobby could be not only an Iceman, but a Fireman if he wanted? Is this just something he hasn't discovered because of the laziness of his character up till recently. Will it be something he will discover in the future?

Or is this complete and utter s**t?

Be especially interested to hear the ][ceman's thought's on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Translation: <troll>

My opinion: They won't do that because it's too radical a change for the character and the only person able to change such a classic character so completely is stan the man, and he won't do it cause i'm pretty sure he loves the character the way he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

You'd never know, Marvel have commited some attrocities in the past. This wouldn't be half as bad as say, bringing Aunt May back to life.

Also it wouldn't nessecarily be a bad thing, especially if they did it in an alternate universe story such as exiles now would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Check out Austen run on Uncanny. He seems to be doing some stuff with Iceman's powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aunt may was bitten by a radioactive cat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

i remember reading that to, i think it's that he eventually relises the full potenial of his power rather than change it.... i can remember the specifics but it had something to do with CONTROLLING water molecules??

• Advertisement

Ice-mans power is freezing air molecules thus freezing the surrounding area even himself . He is able to rais the temperature he cant really set things onfire mearly boyle the molacules . So he could be call Scald-man or boyle man .

Hold on a tick, where did I ever mention changing his powers, I asked if this meant that he could have a secondary power?

According to what i'd read (still can't remember where), Iceman's power was not to freeze himself and his surroundings, but to lower both his own and his surroundings temperature by controlling the temperature via his hyperthallamus. That would mean he could raise it, he'd have to be able to. Whether his body could handle a situation where he raised rather than lowered temps is another thing, but that's part of what i'm asking.

well of course he HAS to be able to raise the temperature... i mean otherwise he'd have to stay in his ice form til he thawed out??? makes sense

Yes, it is obvious which is why i'm asking if this means he can raise his temperature, and that of his surrounding areas ABOVE their normal, or is there something after being mentioned in the continuity already that rules out this?

I think i remember reading in one of the Xmen comics (god knows which one) that his raising temperatures extends to water molecules, i think he was able to boil water in one strip,

but if you're looking at that in a scientific point of view wouldnt that point to air molecules as well seeing as its mostly moisture anyway? I dont think its ever been considered, or else he just hasn't coped onto it himself yet,

It would be cool, wouldn't be great against his name, but imagne good ol'd bobby boilling some guy to death from the inside out!!!!
    it would almost make an evil or certainly cruel side to our already cold buddy (pardon the pun i coulndt help myself.)_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Powers: Iceman is able to lower his external and internal body temperature, thereby radiating intense cold. In addition, he can transform himself into ice at will and freeze any moisture in the air around him -- thus generating slides, shields, bats and other objects. He is immune to sub-zero temperatures.

As far as I know Iceman's powers are based purely on lowering temperatures. Now i'm not going to claim to be an expert on this because lets face it folks...this is a comic and the idea of him freezing stuff is fiction not science fact. They created the character long before they had specifics on it. But what I am aware is that his powers are based on controlling water molecules temperature wise. Maybe he could raise the temperature of water molecules but i'd say it might/might not be possible as freezing something is essentially extracting all of the energy out of it. It would mean he would need to be able to put energy back to heat something up.

He can freeze himself by freezing the water molecules in his body. He used to freeze the water molecules around his body, giving the ice appearance, but his powers have expanded. See X-men issue 41 (part 4 of the Legion Quest ) where he freezes every molecule in Legion's body to stop him (but it didn't stop him).

Move onto the Age of Apocalypse series and we see Iceman being able to manipulate and aggitate the water molecules around himself and others in order to teleport them to somewhere else. Now maybe that means that he can add energy - but even if he can, heating water doesn't cause fire, so i'd say the fireman idea would be out of the question. Also he can heal himself and pull himself together, so i'd say he has more than just a temperature control over water molecules.

To be perfectly honest I love the Ice idea of iceman, but I also think that his potential is unlimited and untapped. The only thing I would say he would be limited to would be space travel, as he could easily move through oceans (maybe he could extract parts of water molecules to breath under water) or even fly (replacing the molecules above him with himself etc). The idea is just limited to his imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Originally posted by ][cEMAN** . The only thing I would say he would be limited to would be space travel, as he could easily move through oceans (maybe he could extract parts of water molecules to breath under water) or even fly (replacing the molecules above him with himself etc). The idea is just limited to his imagination. [/B]

i remember years ago where for some reason he was suddenly telepoted or dumped into space by a character called Oblivion and he used his powers to extract water from around him and turn it into a cocoon for himself

Yeah I suppose there would be some particles around him where he could do this - but space is meant to be a vacuum so I don't think he could travel in the same way I meant - transposition of water molecules replacing them with his own etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Iceman was meant to be the oppsite of the Human Torch, that would mean that he would also have the abilty to create Ice aswell as flame

Just 'cause he's powers are meant to be opposite Iceman's originally does not mean Marvel's writers will stick to that idea, especially when the characters get's boring, or the writer is lazy.

Besides if they had exact opposite powers wouldn't Iceman have some power where he could expend all his energy in one blast of Ice, similiar to the Human Torch's Nova Blast? Bobby's never displayed any thing in that direction, or has he, maybe i'm wrong.

Also the human torch can't regenerate human flesh if he gets a hole in his chest while in flame on (or unless someone has seen this happen cause i've not).

Iceman can change 100% to ice form, whereas the human torch is just engulfed in flames. Iceman can increase his mass through ice - the human torch can just increase the intensity of his flames.

One thing though - i'm worried about what direction they're taking iceman these days. They've got this thing now that after an attack by black tom cassidy while in his ice form, he has found that his chest is turning into ice, that he can't change back from. They're probably going for the "Iceman turns to ice forever". This worries me. It also worries me how little of a character some writers think he is. He's an original X-man. He has more power than 90% of the x-men to pass through the doors at xavier's school for gifted youngsters. He has character and personality than almost all other characters in the whole series except for maybe Nightcrawler. Everyone else has been pretty much 2 dimensional in character.

Advertisement