Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabian or Zildjian cymbals?

Options
  • 02-09-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

ok, I'm planning to update my cymbals.....the thing is.. that I've generally preffered the sounds of sabians..and I'm more familiar with them...but a lot of people have been saying zildjians are also really good..but they aren't as widely available.
    ...I'd just like to get some opinions..and find out what cymbals you generally prefer and why...I usually like sabian AAs, AAXs and possibly HHXs...Hand hammered aren't bad:ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I prefer Zildian myself. im not a drummer really (play a little) ive always just prefered the sound of em. more solid too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

I think this one is all about personal taste, like the paul or strat posts
    I hear each is better for different kinds of cymbals, but that Sabian is generally better, this is all personal taste tho, so your gona have to go into the shops and try them out.
    I've seen drummers doing the same style of music but using different cymbals, so that doesn't help :(, well maybe you could try looking up what your fav drummers use, still you should try em out for your self.

Their selling a Sabian cymbal pack in Musicmaker for round 250 euron i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Yeah it's personal opinion. I myself would go for Sabian's - AAX, but I have played many a Zildjian setup, and they are also lovely.

I find Zildjian are more of a metal sound really, they tend to be deeper and darker with a lot of sustain.... while Sabian's are more dynamic and bright... all depending on what range you go for.

At the end of the day, it's personal taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

I find Zildjian are more of a metal sound really, they tend to be deeper and darker with a lot of sustain.... while Sabian's are more dynamic and bright... all depending on what range you go for.

i would agree, except for the new sabian AA Metal-X Range. <drool>
    The Peice de la resistance - 24 inch Ride
    the 20 inch China and 15 inch HH's arent to shabby either......if your into heavymetal go for these!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

i dunno, i love my sabians, pro-sonix, not top of the range, but i love the sound, in regards to brightness, on this particular set i would agree that the crash is bright, but my ride sounds like a second crash (what can i say, i'm a hard hitter!), but it is still great for lighter play as it responds well in all situations, and the hats, well, i think they're bloody lovely! lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Hye buy Zildjians...
    much more variety, definately a superior cymbal and most of the BEST DRUMMERS use them. I have 7 good Zilds on my kit, I wouldn't trade them for Sabians ever. Meinl from Germany are seriously also good cymbals..although I suppose if you like Sabians, then fair play to you.... I know the Yamaha dealer up in town does Zildjian cymbals, i was in testing some out last year,,they have a very big selection.
    If your after starter packs,,,dont bother with them,,garbage (that includes Zildjian ZBT!),,,go for the medium types,,ZXT's theyre excellent cymbals, their MAX hi hats are very very good. The internet is the best place to buy though..half the price of cymbals here,,,were being ripped off for gear over here.
    If you want great china's,,get WUHAN china's,,cheap and used by the best drummers on the planet. Neil Peart of RUSH has recently endorsed them, he's using them since the mid 80's, I have 3 on my kit,,superb chjina sound, no other makers come close for genuine China sound, thats coz their actually made IN china.

..ciao' amigo...Baggio.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Im currently using a set of A Custom Projection Sereis - 14" Hats, 16" and 18" Crash and a 20" ride, with a Sabian 18" Metal Crash and 18" AAX Chinese and a 10" AAX splash...

...for some reason they all seem to blend in so as Dr. Loon says:
    At the end of the day, it's personal taste.

Also remember that Sabian and Zildjian make these "sonically matched" boxed set of cymbals... could be an option

Just make sure to try out all the different combos of different makes - thats how i got my perfect setup. Hey, also see what your favourite drummers use and a bit of mixing and matching could help you.

Also check the prices on the web - might get it cheaper from the states

Music123.com

Dave;)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

I prefer Sabian. sabians are far more consistent from cymbal to cymbal than zildjian.

ive had a few zildjian cymbals in the past and i haven't been happy with any of them. i got a Zildjian K crash a few weeks ago (quite expensive) and i hated it and ended up selling it.
    Sabian for me all the way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shred

Neither, Paiste - always have played them and always will

Advertisement