Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats in your bag and how do you rate your stuff?

• 01-09-2003 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Iv got Ping i3+ irons which are really really nice

Titleist 975F 3 wood, quite nice

Callaway sandwedge - expensive but so so good

Trusty rusty Cobra LW- Spins it like F**K

old Callaway putter- never to be changed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Taylor made ti 320 Driver.
    V-steel Taylor made 3 wood.
    Taylor made RAC OS Irons....approach wedge..SW...and PW to 3 iron.
    Oddysey 2 ball white putter.
    Looking for a good Lob wedge and maybe a 5 wood now.
    Love the Irons..got them only last wednesday and came second in competition and came second last night too.
    Putter is working very well...and Driver Goes long but have suffered lately with accuracy.
    Havent tried out the Approach wedge and SW yet..(only got them today from the US).
    Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Cobra SS430 Driver
    MacGregor 3&5 woods
    Odyssey dfx 2 ball putter
    Cobra truty rusty wedge
    Ram FX Irons

Nemesis, I have been thinking of buying the RAC OS set. The reviews they have received are excellent. You seem well impressed too. Were they off the shelf or did the store custom fit them for you?

Looking for a nice 3 wwod also but its not vital as my home course only has two par 5s but you only need a 3 wood on one of them.

Hiya Buck,
    I looked at a few sets of irons in McGuirks in Leopardstown last month while buying my 5yr old son a few clubs.
    I always had a softspot for Taylor made irons having used forged muscle backed blades a bout 10 years ago.
    But I like the look of the Cleveland TA 7's as they were a cheaper than the RAC's.
    I was about to buy them until a little voice in my head mentioned 'Wife!'.
    So I got myself a V-steel 3 wood.
    Then last week I browsed these forums on the boards and seen the link to www.rockbottomgolf.com and spotted the RAC iron set at a great price!.
    So out came the Credit card on Monday and I had the Clubs at 10.43 Wednesday morning..plyed at 4.10 with them and got 44 points in the fourball.
    They cost me 491 Euros including delivery..and they passed customs (which is rare) so I saved on the VAT and duty.
    In McGuirks they were 749 Euros (special price).
    I rang McGuirks to check to see what price they could offer...but was told 749.
    When I got the V-steel i got it for 200 euros..(20 Euros off).
    So I reckon you could get a discount in-store on the RAC's.

There was no SW in the set so I looked around different sites and decided to buy the Wedge set from www.rockbottomgolf.com
    which cost 149 Euros for a SW and a approach wedge.
    They were orderd on Tuesday and I recieved them Thursday BUT this time Customs saw them.:).
    So I had to pay 35 euros to the UPS guy..VAT was about 32 and Duty the rest.
    Still worked out cheaper than buying from a retailer in Dublin.(because I didnt have to take a day off to drive to Dublin..and they were cheaper anyway...Check out RAC OS wedge in Mcguirks).

BTW the Wedges were on the market first ..and since they were so popular they launched the irons.

I talked to Customs and excise before I bought the irons to find out how I pay the duty etc on them..but I got no answers...
    But when the UPS guy called with them he told me how it works.
    If customs actually spot it they charge UPS for the VAT and Duty..and UPS then give you a Cash on delivery delivery of your items.
    To finish..I got the Clubs a week and have came second in 2 four-ball competitions....lots of practice with the new clubs helps..but they are damn nice to hit....wedge is a little strong at 45 * and goes a long way..but my gap wedge and SW will help me out there.
    They were also a half inch shorter and a half an ounce heavier than my old custom made graphite shafts irons..which I never liked...I dont know why that guy made my clubs half an inch longer than regular for a guy who is 5 foot 7!...was Profit guy..

Regular flex in those irons and most off the shelf irons are designed for 5 foot 11 I think....doestn bother me though...I might get them altered once I start getting a little better.
    Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info. Excellent price has me very tempted. Might go for it later today.

I have had experience with customs on mail orders from the US. Its just pure luck if items are spotted or not. Nice one for you.:)

Ok I got the Calculator out....
    when customs spots it, those irons will cost 580 Euros inc tax and delivery from US.
    Haggle at golfworks and you might get them for 600 or 650 I bet...or try and get a wedge thrown in for 650.
    Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by Nemesis
    Looking for a good Lob wedge and maybe a 5 wood now.
    Brian.

Definitley recommend the Callaway lob wedge

the trusty rusy is a little to sharpe!

though the callaway is really expensive at around 170euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stendec

Thank you Nemesis for the tip re: www.rockbottomgolf.com.
    Just recieved my Taylor Made R540 driver this morning €203.90 delivered. Huge savings - same club in McGuirks €455! Saving €250! Ordered it on Sunday morning, here first thing Wednesday morning - passed cutoms, no duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mucca

callaway steelhead 9o stiff rc99
    callaway steelhead 3+ stiff rc99

Mizuno TP9's pro model 3 - SW dynagold reg shaft

wilson copper lob wedge 60o

old ping pal putter (never to be changed)

my handicap is 7,and i play at Bathgate golf course in Scotland .

Looking to change my irons shortly and would like to know the best irons to go for .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I was at the Belfry recently and they had a great selection of Titleist irons there... they really 'look' like proper golf clubs.
    I'd suggest a trip there to sunny birmingham :rolleyes: for a custom fit if possible/practical.
    Is it a PGA national teaching centre or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mucca

yes it has some sort of official pga training school i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i use a titliest 975j 7.5 degree driver with grafalloy 3.5 s shaft - still hit it too high!!!

taylormade 200 series 3-wood - ball rockets off the face
    mizuno steel 5- wood - hits it a mile!!

mac grefor pcb tour irons 3 - pw - lovely soft feel off these
    progen 52,56 and 60 gun-metal wedges - spins the ball like a b1tch

odyssey dfx 2-ball putter - best thing in the bag!!! well worth buying.

work in a golf club so got things cheap but the 2-ball is well worth the price their charging

Ordered an Adams 3 wood from rockbottomgolf.com and was charged €24 duty.

They also have a store on ebay where you can bid for exactly what they have in their store.

Won an auction for a set of Taylormade RAC OSs for $370.00 plus delivery. Hopefully they will pass through customs without being noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Taylor Made R540 Driver 8.5 loft, stiff shaft

Taylor Made 200 Steel head 3wood, same shaft as above

2 - PW Taylor Made 300 series irons.

56 and 60 degree Taylor Made RAC lob wedges.

Ping putter

Love the set really (and Taylor Made!!) - there's not one club that I don't enjoy hitting. Went from a steel head driver to this one and gained at least 30 yards!! The 3 wood is a joy to hit from the fairway, and the wedges have these little micro-groove things (if you look closely at the face you'll see smaller grooves inside the big ones) which give loads of spin.

I had looked at the Mizuno MP-33 (blades) but playing off 8 I think I'd struggle with them. I loved how they looked, but when I compared the 300's with them, I saw that they looked almost identical from the top, which is what I wanted.

Cost a lot, but got them custom fitted, and they'll most likely do me for the next 5 years, or at least the irons will! I could be tempted by the latest 'big' driver - heard the new Srixon model goes a mile!

Si.

Received the RACs today but got caught for the vat and duty of €90.00.

The clubs cost €360.00 delivered so even with the duty its still a great deal. The cheapest you can get them in Limerick is around the €800 mark.

Advertisement