Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing money on holidays.

Options
  • 01-09-2003 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

If your going to Europe, whereas you used to bring travellers checks, do you just bring cash now?
    Or are atm machines up to the job? I suspect I'll get done on banking charges in Spain.......

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

A god way is to put cash into your visa account, don't think theres any charges for withdrawing that well - never got charged that way meself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Only one problem with that, your credit car insurance doesnt cover money thats on credit on your card. So if the card gets kicked and then is used for buying stuff, only when the card goes into debit will the insurance cover it..

I didnt realise this until a few months ago when I transferred money onto my card thinkin it was a good thing a one of the girls in the bank told me to be careful of it as its not covered..

Just though you should know..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Your atm card should work as long as it has the Link, Plus symbols on it and and so does the atm you are trying to gt money out of.
    I just use my atm card, taking out enough cash for a day or two at a time and there by reducing the number of charges. much handier than travelers checks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks guys. Knowing my luck though, the ATM would be down. I think I'll bring a couple of hundred in cash, and withdraw from the bank over there. That should work.
    Just in case, does anyone know of any problem withdrawing cash from a bank in the Canary Islands?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

have a very old aib banklink card (have it 8 or 9yrs) no cirrus or link on it, worked perfectly on canary islands & all over mainland europe ie germany, italy, france spain....much handier and safer than going around with a wad load of cash and way cheaper than travellers cheques...also you are charged approx EUR3 for every withdrawal using a credit card!! so if you are going to use the cc make sure you take out enough!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Atm is by far your best option and they work everywhere:)
    Ulster Bank and Aib cards have the facility automatically, thjink u have to ring BOI and ask them to put it on not 100 sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't bring loads of cash, it really could get nicked. Depending on your bank, there may not even be a charge for using your normal ATM card - certainly AIB don't charge anything any more for using a banklink card within the Eurozone (tried in Spain, France, Belgium and Germany with 0 charges). Other than that, the credit card in credit is also a good bet.

You're certainly better off risking the in-credit credit card than bringing cash - you can cancel the credit card, remember! I've actually had my credit card stolen/lost more than once abroad and never had a rogue transaction (cancelled it immediately obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also if you are carrying a fair bit of cash on you split it up. Put half in an envelope in a different pocket. That way you can feel someway good about giving your wallet to the gougers with the knife.

Advertisement