Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about you?

Options
  • 01-09-2003 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I am sure there are lots of people here who are actively volunteering or who have done so in the past. It might be nice to get a feel for what people are doing at the moment as well as what they have done.

My own voluntary work is with Dublin Civil Defence I have been a member for about 10 years now. I started off with the Auxiliary Fire Service and after some time our unit was given two rescue boats with which to develop a water Bourne search and recovery unit and also to provide safety boat cover at public events which take place in and near Water the likes of Sky fest would be a good example. I now fully devote my time to the Water unit and along with another chap I have responsibility for the general running of the unit and for training up new members.
    In my time in Civil Defence I have gained a level 3 powerboat license, a Marine VHF radio telephony license, Basic seamanship and navigation course and excellent training in first aid and survival techniques.

Civil Defence is broken into five main areas
    Auxiliary Fire Service, Which provides an emergency back up to the regular fire service typically they are involved with flooding relief and event fire cover but are fully trained in modern fire fighting techniques and equipment.

Casualty, these are advanced First -Aiders again typically involved with safety cover at public events using a fairly modern fleet of ambulances and equipment.

Rescue, frequently used for search and rescue like for missing hill walkers they also have a rescue from heights capability.

Welfare, these people provide logistical support such as hot food and shelter for personnel in the field and also for people who are displaced by disaster.

Wardens, this service specializes in radiological incidents and nuclear disaster.

Anyway thats a brief summary of Civil Defence, I am working on a list of links and resources for those seeking more information. If you have any questions let me know if I don't know I will find out.

Cheers

Ryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Well now you asking the good question.

I have been a member of the Irish Red Cross for our local community for about a year and a half. Ok no longer doing this but if I had time I would go back.

We done such things as fund raising for defiblirater units and other life saving equipment.

Also we did the ambulance service at the Racecourse and most local events.

Each year with the festival we had a display of an accident scene(pretty horrific one too) and offcoarse we would clean up the mess together with the fire brigade.

Cheers

RunFree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Runfree

Each year with the festival we had a display of an accident scene(pretty horrific one too) and offcoarse we would clean up the mess together with the fire brigade.

Cheers

RunFree

Did you ever get made up as a casualty? I did it a couple of times, I remeber the last one where I played a casualty what a simulated train wreck I was made to look like I had a steel bar going straight through my leg it took about two hours in make up but OMG it looked so real it was scary I used to have a photo of it if I find it I must scan it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Redshift
    Did you ever get made up as a casualty?

Can't say I did but I used to do some of the make up. Everything looked so real. Leg torn off by the knee. Eye hanging out from the head.

We even had proper cars and set them on fire with people in it. That was quite scary though. Ever pull some one out of burning car well I have. The Fire Brigade had to cut people out of the wrecks and everything. Everything was done so organised and realistic.

RunFree.

PS maybe we should get to discuss in a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Dublin Fire brigade done a huge exercise up in Cherrywood in loughlinstown there a few weeks back. It was very well done and realistic. But these sort of things are going on all the time and I will post any more that are happening up here. It can be a very informative experience to witness one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ah_here!

I am a member of St. John Ambulance in Dublin. I think that this is a great way of volunteering and giving something back to your community at home. If anyone is interested in this sort of work, or just wats to check us out, our division's website is, www.stjohndublin.ie

Of you are looking for something more short-term and abroad, I would recommend Habitat for Humanity, I went away with Habitat in July 05 to Malawi, where we built houses for the month. This was an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone! Check out the website www.habitatireland.ie if you are interested.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Im a member of the special olympics network. A lot of people believed that once the Special Olympics was over a couple of years ago, that no more help was needed. But these clubs need constant support, and there are clubs all around Ireland that have support groups, to help them out where its needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

Hey Maggz do you know if the special olympics need help around the Clondalkin area? Over the last few months i have organised raffles in aid of Barretstown, i organise getting the gifts and sell the tickets myself which so far has raised just under €2000 but id want to look into being a volunteer in Barretstown and helping out in the special olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

BOHS wrote:
    Hey Maggz do you know if the special olympics need help around the Clondalkin area? Over the last few months i have organised raffles in aid of Barretstown, i organise getting the gifts and sell the tickets myself which so far has raised just under €2000 but id want to look into being a volunteer in Barretstown and helping out in the special olympics

Hi BOHS, send me a pm if your interested and I can give you the correct ppl to contact. If there's not one in Clondalkin, there should be one close by.

Advertisement