Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About This Forum

Options
  • 01-09-2003 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

This Forum is for anybody who carries out work of a voluntary nature with any organization be it on a community, national or indeed international level. Charter and description coming shortly.

Thanks

Ryan

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jaysis redshift, theres no flies on you! I'd only just created it hahah... well good luck and expect to see me hanging around a bit too as its something that interests me.

I wonder how much cross-group assistance there is... perhaps this board will help that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I used to be involved with SVdP in school and college and I have to say living in the city has made me want to get involved again (I see so many homeless people every day).

The thing is I work 12-18 hour days (I kid you not). Any chance of links and details to orginaisations that might want part time helpers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This is a draft for a proposed charter please comment on it. If you think it should be altered or expanded on.
    This charter is in addition to the normal rules of Boards.ie
    This forum is for anybody who is involved with voluntary work with any organization whether it is charitable, community, or any of the many who provide all manner of emergency services.
    The representatives of these organizations are welcome to promote and discuss their work on this board subject to the following.
    1, No direct fundraising is allowed
    2, No direct recruiting is allowed, the idea is to provide people with information and they can make up their own mind about supporting you

Thanks

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

I used to be in the Irish Red Cross for about 2 years. All voluntary work.

Was quite enjoyable.

RunFree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Runfree,

Congratulations, on setting up this new forum. Great idea/Title. I will be back to comment further just as soon as I have given it the proper consideration it warrants.

P.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Runfree,

Congratulations, on setting up this new forum. Great idea/Title. I will be back to comment further just as soon as I have given it the proper consideration it warrants.

P.:)

Sorry but you must be mistaken. I did not set up this form. It was Redshift(im sure???)

But I will be browsin here anyway as I do have a certain intrest in the matter.

RunFree

Originally posted by Runfree
    Sorry but you must be mistaken. I did not set up this form. It was Redshift(im sure???)

But I will be browsin here anyway as I do have a certain intrest in the matter.

RunFree

LOL anyway you are all welcome to browse and hopefully contribute. Its interesting to point out that boards infact has its own army of volunteers, The moderators. but thats a different story they are *really all part of DeVores fiendish plot to build a private army in his quest for world domination, que, Evil Laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

brilliant idea guys!! it's nice for volunteers to have some kind of outside support from the wider community.

for the person wondering about part-time volunteering, i volunteer for oxfam, in one of their shops, where i do a four hour shift a week, and then sometimes help out in busy periods, like festivals etc, but the normal commitment is four hours, which fits in perfectly with work, and college etc, although, with your schedule, you mightn't have much free time.. well, there's always weekends....

again, great forum! spot on, there fellas!

Redshift,

My apologies for mixing up your name with [Runfree!], but I was so taken up wih this idea for a forum that I made an unintentional blunder.

Anyway, congratulations too you, this forum can only go from strength to strength given the Irish predilection for voluntary work.

P.;)

Redshift,

My apologies for mixing up your name with [Runfree!], but I was so taken up wih this idea for a forum that I made an unintentional blunder.

Anyway, congratulations too you, this forum can only go from strength to strength given the Irish predilection for voluntary work.

P.;)

Tis no Biggie Paddy:) and I hope your right at this moment I am sifting though content to bring to the forum but the signs are encouraging.

Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cornell babe

Redshift,

this forum can only go from strength to strength given the Irish predilection for voluntary work.

P.;)

do you really think that Irish people have a predilection for voluntary work? i cant think of anyone who carries out voluntary work even students who would have spare time on their hands?

anyway interesting subject for a forum board and i'm looking forward to finding out more information about actually getting involved as I have been considering this sort of thing for AGES and am raring to go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

irish people like most people in western society are not that charitabale. yeah sure we all make the resolutions at new years but how many of us actually act on them. not many im thinking.

i hope to get involved in charitable orginisations this year in college. but when it comes down to it, we are all talk. me included.

RE: Irish predilection for voluntary work?..

cornell babe,

Yes, I do believe that the irish have a predeliction for voluntary work. It may not be obvious at first glance as volunteers tend to just get on with it,without looking for any type of public recognition.

However, look at Charitable Organisations such as *Concern. Respectd throughout the world as an Irish Organisation who really do brilliant work using mainly Irish volunteers. In most communities throughout Ireland there has been for generations a tradition of voluntary work. Many Organisations that people take for granted - and think that are official state services!, are in fact purely voluntary.

I will post a more comprehensive list for everyones perusal shortly. Think of the important life saving work of the Samaritans, Citizens Advice, etc.

*solice

I am sorry that you are so cynical about this issue, perhaps if you set out as an experiment too find out just how many voluntary organisations really exist in Ireland. You may well receive a very enlightening surprise for the better?..It could in fact change your whole life for the better - as many others have found that doing voluntary work not only helps others, but more importantly yourself!.

Be lucky.

P.;)

Advertisement