Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Scales

Options
  • 31-08-2003 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Does anyone have any recommendations on good scales that I could use for Rock\ Thin Lizzy esq stuff? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The phrygian scale is Kirk Hammett's staple scale so you could give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

And the minor pentatonics & blues scales, should give you hours of good practice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey this is the most common scale in all rock music with the chromatic variations in brackets
    (in E)

0-
    0--(2)--3--(4)

0--2

0--(1)--2

0--(1)--2
    --0--(2)3

But this is just the notes, you have to learn where these same notes are all over the guitar first (in E theres usually 3 positions, this one, at the 7th fret, and at the twelth fret)
    mix up the notes when your soloing **** around with bends and stuff and youll stumble over loads of classic riffs
    This is the standard blues scale that loadsa zep, hendrix, rage, the doors, bb king, clapton, etc. is built on.
    Another very common scale (particularly in thin lizzy) is the exact same as this one except instead of starting on the bottom string open (E note) start on the Bottom string 3rd fret(G note) ie the second note in the E scale and go up one note higher to the 3rd fret of the top string at the end.
    Sorry if this sounds like a load of waffle or if its patronising or anything feel free to ask any questions or tell me to shut up that u knew this already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I've been teaching my self guitar for about a year now, and i've never heard anything about scales or anything. What are they what are they used for? So many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Dave,
    if you've never heard anything about scales, give some serious thought to hiring a qualified teacher who knows theory !
    You'll be sorry if you dont, believe me..Im not saying you should hit the books and study theory, on the contrary, jam as much as you can - but you MUST have a very BASIC understanding of scales ! It will all fall into place very quickly and it will start making more sense the more you play, but it really is essential that you catch up on at least a bit of theory...
    I havent had a teacher here in Ireland, i think they usually charge around 20 yoyo's an hour, so if you get one lesson a week for a month or two you will notice the difference, guaranteed.
    after a while, when you're shown the way you'll be able to learn on yer own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

forgot to mention that i am very very very sorry that i never got into scales and theory when i started out (been playing 12-13 years), i would have been lightyears ahead of where i am now.
    And now, when time allows, i try to catch up on my own - dont make the same mistake man, do it now.

Advertisement