Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+

Options
  • 28-08-2003 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭

Guys just been to armstrongs trade show and it seems that Sky + will be released to the retail trade soon as sierra seem to have made a balls of things.

I also spoke to the pace rep and we discussed the actual cost of manufacture of the Sky + box which has dropped dramatically since its launch. From the figures mentioned it seems that sky are no longer subsidising the cost of the box so they have now no justification for the monthy charge. The pace rep was of the opinion that the monthly charge will be dropped before Christmas and that in time the Sky + box will be supplied free instead of the normal digibox. This is only his opinion and I have not heard anyone from sky espousing the same view.

Theres also a new Sky + remote with built in keyboard which looks like fun.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

icon14.gificon14.gif

Glad to hear Tony, very good news for you and consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Tony
    Theres also a new Sky + remote with built in keyboard which looks like fun.

Yeah, I saw that in the Sky mag. Looks a bit flimsy from the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

id seriously consider sky + if sky did get rid of the monthly charge, just grates on me they want extra above and beyond what they get now just for the privilege of recording 2 progs at once

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

And you can't even record two programmes at once... yet... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I still think its only rumour about sky dropping the subscription charge.
    They just want more people to go out and buy now on the strength of that rumour.
    Then when it turns out that there will be no drop you are stuck with a €300 odd heap of ****e unless you pay the sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    I still think its only rumour about sky dropping the subscription charge.
    They just want more people to go out and buy now on the strength of that rumour.
    Then when it turns out that there will be no drop you are stuck with a €300 odd heap of ****e unless you pay the sub.

Well normally I would agree but this came from a pace source and the sky reps normally dont miss an opportunty to spin a few sales and they declined on this occasion. I guess a wait and see approach should be adopted.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

5 weeks left till October. so we'll all see if that date is correct

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    5 weeks left till October. so we'll all see if that date is correct

what is the significance of october?

Thats when dual recording comes in, right?

what is the significance of october?

didn't someone mention here that the monthly sub will be dropped then

• Advertisement

Um...no.. dont think so...

I do remember it mentioned alright here by someone who had got it from media bullet.

Further speculation is on-going.

The quote from media bullet is in that thread:
    A source at Sky has mentioned to Sky Digi Online that Sky+ users will have their £10 access fee dropped as from 1st October 2003. Also, Dual recording will become a reality in Mid-August. Sky will also be launching three new Sky+ boxes from October time, with a push towards Sky+ as the default reciever in the maketplace in time for the Christmas sales. More on this as we get it in the coming weeks

mm
    *edit* Shane will probably remember who exactly posted it here, the search function is telling me sky is too small a word :(

After further conversation with my supplier we should have stock in a few weeks. It will be sold as a normal retail product so you should be able to buy it without installation from your local retailer.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Guys just been to armstrongs trade show and it seems that Sky + will be released to the retail trade soon as sierra seem to have made a balls of things.

That's good news Tony ... I assume that the boxes will retail cheaper as well ?? Any idea of price ??

Sky are running a promo at the moment in the magazine for €300 plus install fee

Originally posted by Couch Potato

That's good news Tony ... I assume that the boxes will retail cheaper as well ?? Any idea of price ??

Sky are running a promo at the moment in the magazine for €300 plus install fee

Typical Sky, the wholesale price is more than €300, I cant do any better than 399 at the current wholesale price I'm afraid.

Tony

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Typical Sky... one would imagine that setting a lower wholesale price would encourage competition which could only result in greater penetration of the SKY+ product .. still what do I know about these things compared to the great Sky Mandarins..

Originally posted by parsi
    Typical Sky... one would imagine that setting a lower wholesale price would encourage competition which could only result in greater penetration of the SKY+ product .. still what do I know about these things compared to the great Sky Mandarins..

What I meant was they are selling at less than we can buy wholesale, typical in the sense that they constantly undermine the retail trade who built them in Ireland in the first place. It would actually be illegal for us to sell at the same price because of the ban on below cost selling, unfortunately we can only get stock from 2 suppliers in Ireland so its impossible to compete or do anything about it.

Hope I dont sound like I'm whining:-)

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

would the below cost selling not also apply to sky selling at €300

sounds like anti-competitive practices to me, wheres Mary Harney when you need her? (Manorhamilton?? :D:p )

Originally posted by dmeehan
    wheres Mary Harney when you need her?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I counted six different models of things that recorded digitally and without tape in Currys in Belfast.

One was "Freeview" the rest analog TV tuners and Analog video in.

Various Hard Disk and DVD RAM etc.

You can buy FTA Satreceiver with Hard Disk (not in Currys).

So Sky will likely drop charge by Christmas simply because no-one else charges rental on recording after you buy the box (Except Tivo which is not very available).

I'd only buy a Sky+ if:
    * No monthy charge to record
    * At least the functionallity of a basic receiver (Palcom, Humax F1) for non-Sky channels. The digibox is scandalous in its proprietary anti-European reception nature. Why should we have to buy TWO hard Disk Satellite Recievers to record RTE / Sky1 etc AND Free To Air on 19E and 13E etc.

Almost every other Digital receiver allows 4-way Diseqc switch. This is a tiny piece of deliberatly missing SW that could easily be added by automatic satellite update if there were any decent "Regulators" to force Sky to play fair (or even slightly fairer).

I don't intend to renew my Sub anytime soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement