Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back up-the ftv message of death

Options
  • 28-08-2003 9:30am

I was wondering how , everyones old FTV cards are getting on.
    I'm now getting the " some of your channels will soon cease-please call 0870... " message with press Back up to cancel.

Thing is, it appears now every 10 seconds, meaning you have to press Back up six times in a minute.
    This is plainly devilment on Sky's behalf as surely , once every ten or fifteen minutes would be enough to get the message across.

Is this happening to everyone now, or have most lost ITV/4/5 on those cards??
    I've also noticed that most of the family pack channels now have a "08" screen with that card.E4 doesn't for some reason.

mm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭maisflocke

The same is happening with my card - to such an extent that I render it almost totally useless.

You can bypass the message on ch4 & Sky News though - press red for interactive, and when you are in - press red again for full screen.

Better than nothing I suppose........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm getting the message too. As far as I'm concerned it's as bad as the channels being turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Am I incorrect in thinking that if you watch ITV/Sky News etc through Other Channels that the warning message won't appear at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

sceptre
    Am I incorrect in thinking that if you watch ITV/Sky News etc through Other Channels that the warning message won't appear at all?

You are incorrect I just tried it!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by greenman
    This might be of interest!!!

I thought of that, but.....

"The "Back Up" command is normally sent every 60 seconds or so"

When the message of death is sent every 15 or 20 seconds, the message is going to be parked there for up to more than half a minute before it automatically gets shot off screen..... only to re-appear within 20 seconds and await another shooting

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its a common tactic, it happened before when they sent the signal to put in the new SKY sub card. The bloody message just would not go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by greenman
    You are incorrect I just tried it!!!
    Bah, foiled. Worth a try though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

I'm gonna try maisflocke's suggestion :
    You can bypass the message on ch4 & Sky News though - press red for interactive, and when you are in - press red again for full screen.

Has this worked for anyone else ? I only need CH4 and leave the box permanently set to that channel and feed it around the house.

I thought I was going to crack up the other night when I was trying to watch Ch4 and the message-of-death kept re-appearing every few seconds.

Nice one.
    On channel four pressing red to get the interactive screen and then pressing red again when you are in that screen , gives you the full screen without the message of death.

You do have a little box at the top saying press red to return , but compared to that narky message of death it's nothing.

I only use that FTV box in the kitchen for News 24 and CH4 as I have the others crystal clear on terrestrial including HTV and ch 5:cool:

mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Man,

Are you still getting DTT from the land of the valleys?

Yes, Shane, but the box is with a neighbour at the moment who is happily watching ch4 and BBC news 24 without a sky dish as a result.

I got a UK sub for the main room and the FTV box was always with the tv in the Kitchen, so no need for the DTT box anymore :)

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by maisflocke
    The same is happening with my card - to such an extent that I render it almost totally useless.

Better than nothing I suppose........

Thanks a million for that. At least I have CH4 back. If only I could get rid of it on ITV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks - that worked for me too.

though how long it's gonna work is anyone's guess......

Glad to be of help ;)

Advertisement