Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar newbie

Options
  • 27-08-2003 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I want to start learning guitar.. my friend told me to learn acoustic first before bass.. anyway just wondering what you guys would recommend for someone who has no experience playing guitar before.. I am getting free lessons from the same friend anyway.. I was looking at a Montana Acoustic on the net that looks pretty good.. anyway any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

Yeah, learn acoustic first. Going from acoustic to electric is easier then going to acoustic from electric. Its because of the "action" on the guitars, its harder to hold down the string on an acoustic, therfore gets your fingers strong and then its an easier trip onto the electric.

All i'll say for you, when you start out, have fun with it for a while. Look for songs that you like and keep interest. http://www.cyberfret.com is a good site for online lessons.

http://www.music123.com
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Are good sites for equipment.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Start on the acuostic to build up your fingers abd get them used to playing a guitar then move to bass.

On a similar note, I'm thinking of taking up bass as well as guitar, just to learn an extra instrument, would that **** with the ability I already have or would it compliment it in some strange way. I've been playing electric for about two and a half months now if it makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

You can learn Bass fine so long as you treat it like a bass and not a 4-string guitar if you know what i mean.
    I don't think it would mess you up too much, but if it doesn you can always throw it out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Thanks for the help guys
    I'm going into music maker on Monday and my friends are gonna help me pick 1 out.. I've decided to get an electric acoustic guitar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Duritz

Originally posted by Repli
    Thanks for the help guys
    I'm going into music maker on Monday and my friends are gonna help me pick 1 out.. I've decided to get an electric acoustic guitar..

Thats what i learned on. Depending upon type it can have the same action as an electric though. Try get one with stiff action so it will build up your fingers. Your friend will probably recommend whats best for tastes, seen as he knows. Main thing is to have fun and keep the interest!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Just rock the **** on !
    **** the begrudgers.

Tom

Advertisement