Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Advice Required

Options
  • 27-08-2003 12:13pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

This is not going to be a "Such and such" is better than "such and such" thread. What I want is advice on an electric guitar to purchase based on my musical tastes.

Now, the problem that I encounter is that I have broad musical tasted.

I own an AVT100 Marshall amp, a Kramer electric, yamaha acoustic and a Encore electric. Not to mention some old piece of **** that doesn't even have a brand name on it, probably a custom jobby. Apart from the acoustic, none of the guitars satisfy me at all.

My tastes vary from rock, bit of metal, blues, acoustic stuff. I also like to experiment like playing Dave Brubeck - Take 5 on the guitar, stuff like that. So I have broad tastes. I'll be honest and say that I no sweet FA about different guitars, I know a weee bit about different acoustics but when it comes to electrics.

I must be playing guitar the guits of 5-6 years now and still love playing it. I hope to start gigging soon enough and the guitars I own just wouldn't be up to the job. The Kramer loses tuning up beyond the 12th fret, and since I'm into playing lot's of lead this ain't feasible. Because I have a floyd rose tremelo, when bending a string and trying to play a note on another string, it's out of tune because the bent string pulls back the floyd rose knocking all other strings out of tune(didn't know this before I bought the guitar. I suppose the springs could be tightened.

The amp is pretty cool, but that also has a limited range. The clean tone from the Kramer is prety crap. It's mainly a heavier/punkier rock guitar.

So basically what I'm looking for is a very versatile guitar that won't destroy my bank balance.

If I could get a few suggestions then I could shop around and try the guitars out. No point in going into a music shop and having absolutely no clue as to which guitar you would like to try, you'd be there all day :)

That's it,

Slaanesh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You could probably shop around and get yourself a second hand PRS Santana SE for reasonably cheap. It has two humbuckers so if you single-coiled one it could make that pickup better for your clear lead stuff and the other pickup better for your heavier stuff. Threy're brilliant guitars and as far as I'm concerned there's not a better one on the market if you rig it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Get a second hand strat, and change the bridge pickup. You will have a very verstaile guitar then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Blues, rock, and metal. A Les Paul is perfect. A guitar make called 'Vintage' make pretty good copies, aswell as extremely nice copies of Peavey guitars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

How much are you looking to spend on the bad boy. Id recomend maybe some kinda of Epiphone Les Paul. seems to be the best starting point in the decent world.
    I use an Aria Pro II it didnt break the bank, and i couldnt ask for a better guitar, id take it over a les paul to be honest but thats just me. My guitar cant be bought anymore, so yer kinda screwed there. PRS and Scheter are what i consider the best guitars money can buy but they are too expenisive. Epipi les paul is what i recommend personally for what you need.
    A fender with a humbucker is a good choice too but its hassle getting it installed, more money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

I too would recommend the Epiphone Les Paul.

I am left handed and ordered mine from the states for around 450 dollars.

Waltons have a few epiphone Les Paul head in and try em out.

try and buy elsewhere though lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I suppose I wouldn't mind splashing out a bit, €800-€1000.

Good suggestions so far. A Epiphone Les paul from musician inc is priced at €250. That seem a bit cheap or could it be a copy or something.

Slaan.

There are different models of Epi les's, i seen some for 1600$ in the states so they go up and up and up. for 800-1000 I would recomend A scheter guitar with all my heart and soul. honestly. what a ****er Instrument. its going to be my next big purchase, and maybe my last guitar for a long long time

i dont know where you will get one in town though, mail some of the shops and see.
    gar

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Epiphone make copies of Gibsons, they are usually pretty good quality. If you are
    thinking of sepending close to the €1'000 mark then a 2nd hand PRS would be the
    one to go for. It'll always be worth that kinda money when you go to sell it, even in
    about 10 years time. They are a superb guitar to play, and the sound it just great.
    Looks-wise they're no too bad either!

Yeah, 2nd hard PRS is my reccomendation, or perhaps a 2nd hand Gibson SG.

Slaan, look in the buy and sell for an American series Strat for about 800, go into Musican inc, and get a Jb jr '59.

Great Idea.

I don't like epis, they feel cheap, and for 800 - 1000 you can go much better.

Even a GibsonSG!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I found that Epiphone Les Pauls are unreliable. I've tried many, including my own that have all had the same problems.

Everytime mine ****ed up I went and got new parts to replace the originals. And now, at a point where my guitar is working perfectly, all the hardware on the guitar has been replaced. Switch, pots, wires, you name it.

I've found that Vintage copies are more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"The Kramer loses tuning up beyond the 12th fret, and since I'm into playing lot's of lead this ain't feasible. Because I have a floyd rose tremelo, when bending a string and trying to play a note on another string, it's out of tune because the bent string pulls back the floyd rose knocking all other strings out of tune"

Sounds like the intonation is out ,and as for the tremelo,thats not set up right either. Bring it into a shop get them to set it up for you. Tremelo on my mockingbird never misbehaves.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Those 2 Gibson SG's in the Buy & Sell look like a good buy, definetly worth a look
    anyway. The handy thing about buying Gibson, PRS etc. is that if you buy them 2nd
    hand you will probably always get roughly the same money back for them if you
    ever try to sell, as long as you keep them in good condition. Also when you are
    buying these type of guitar's 2nd hand, chances are that anyone who paid that much
    for a guitar proabably kept very good care of them, so very often they are in
    as-new condition even though they may be 3 or 4+ years old. Kinda like buying a
    2nd hand Mercedes or BMW, the only think you lose out in is the new-car smell and
    the deprication!

I would definitly reccomend having a look at those 2 SG's, get someone else's advise
    on the pick-up's etc. I don't know a whole lot about Gibsons, I'm more into ESP's
    myself. I'd reccomend ESP, but they are not he most versatile guitar and I don't
    think they would suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

If you're looking to spend in and around a grand, check out the Fender Toronado - they have the mexican version in musician which is excellent, and a US version in Musicmaker which I haven't tried yet.
    Gorgeous clean tone, even better distorted. It's got two humbuckers which are a really nice mix between Fender cut and Gibson gnarl. Just try one.

tornado looks the **** too, theres a cyclone also isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

The Cyclone's are odd.. there's that mustang lookalike one with three pickups (?!), and then there's the two-pickup version that I've played and wasn't mad keen on. Not particularly versatile, and kind of thin-sounding.

I know a dude selling a Fender Jag Stang, if you want a guitar that Kurt Cobain designed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

If you're looking for a RELIABLE guitar CHEAPER than the Irish stores, email me - I can get MOST guitars CHEAPER than the Irish stores can & in some cases on high end stuff for about upto 800 euros less than they sell them for.

Best suggestion I can make is a low-end Ibanez RG series. If you're into all kinds of music, they are very versatile & the new Wizard necks suit most hands.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Don't forget ESP though. I have a M-100 with EMG's and a floyd and i love it.

As for the trem on your Kramer, check out a trem setter on Stew Mac. Great for stabilising the trem. And the tone can be fixed by lobbing in a couple of EMG's or some DiMarzio's if that's your sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

A Fat Strat Affinity has a humbucker in the bridge if you want to use that for the heavier stuff and two single coils for the bluesy/ lead stuff. Worth the money, but those SG's sound pretty good. Your call though. I wouldn't go for the Ibanez RG though. I have one myself and it just wouldn't suit your blues stuff. Also, it has a Floyd Rose trem so if you're having problems with one it might not be the best buy for you.

• Advertisement

Is that a good price for an SG special ? Would you recommend it Paul ?

Slaan.

Keep yer eye on http://www.gigsmartireland.com/forum/philboard_forum.asp?forumid=7 too, theres someone selling an Epi Les paul for 300€ there at the mo

gar

Advertisement