Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

different digibox and viewing card

Options
  • 26-08-2003 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

ok so im looking to get a new (i mean second-hand, i.e. ebay) digibox cause one of the kids spilt water on the other one and now it doesn't turn on...

i just need to know something:
    if i get another box will it work with my viewing card?
    do i have to ring sky and tell them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Yes, you will have to ring Sky to get them to match up your card with the new box. Easy free call on 1800 535767.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 larryk

and they don't make a fuss about it or anything do they?

like saying i have to buy from them
    or try to charge me for the new box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

you can call them up and have them marry your card to another box no problem, it's called a "second hand contract" - just ask for that and the sky-bot will know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

They wont mind. Just say your old box is dead, but you have a new one, can you marry the card to the new one, please.

Easy peasy.

alright, thanks all.

all i have to do now is find a second hand box, cos i ain't forkin out a fortune on a new one...

• Advertisement

You could go down the "I'm gonna cancel cos my digibox is broke" route. There have been examples here of people going to cancel rather than pay full whack for a new box, and get a new box gratis in return for your continued custom.

wow, that would be great... that's worked before! i think ill try that.

but if i didn't work would i be charged a reconnection fee when i do get a new box?

Nope, I dont think there is any charge for swapping boxes, and there is definatly no charge for stopping your sub and resubscribing later (as long as you have Sky more than 12 months, if you have Sky less than 12 months, the box is still under warranty, so ring Sky to see if you can book a service call.)

nah, it's nearly 2 year now i have it..

btw, how much do sky charge for a new box... i know tony charges 399 but i thought i read somewhere on this board that someone paid around 129euro i think for a replacement box..
    would that be right?

if it was would that be the latest model?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

My digibox was dying a few weeks ago and I had no intention of buying a new one.I rang them to cancel my sub and after about 20mins of me refusing to pay to get it repaired they agreed to give me a new one for free.
    Give it a try.

• Advertisement

how much where they gonna charge for repair (not that i can get mine repaired, since it was watered out)?

oh and what model did they give you?

Originally posted by global
    My digibox was dying a few weeks ago and I had no intention of buying a new one.I rang them to cancel my sub and after about 20mins of me refusing to pay to get it repaired they agreed to give me a new one for free.
    Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by global
    Give it a try.

Nice one, well done

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭podge3

I bought a digibox from Ebay to pickup the BBC channels with the Lidl Dish.

Can I also buy a Sky card from Ebay to view some of the encrypted channels.

Would there be some problem with marrying card and box etc.

I have never had a Sky subscription

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you are buying a card make sure it is an active series 2 card (blue card with yellow house) as the old cards are being de-activated. The cards do not need to be paired with your box for itv, c4 and five.

we'll i eventually got round to calling sky today.

after about 20 minutes and 2 different cust. support reps. they said they'd send out a repair guy to look at the dead (watered out) box... and if (when) the box is found to be unrepairable he's gonna give me a new one free.:D

Advertisement