Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - Are they really that hard to get???

Options
  • 25-08-2003 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering about getting a J1 visa to go and work in the USA next summer. I'll be starting college this september and was just curious as to how hard it is to get one. How do I go about getting one and how early do i have to start enquiring? I've found plenty of jobs on www.j1jobs.com, so I dont think that getting a job should be too difficult. Has anybody else done it and have any advice to offer me? Thanks for the time,

Joe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Hi there,

I'm currently replying to your post from Boston, am here on a J1, and heading back to Ireland in 2 weeks.

You should definately try the J1 experience, its amazing. Just be sure to start looking for work fast. Work is very hard to come by here in the States as a result of 9/11 and the war in Iraq.

Certainly try to have a job pre-arranged, which was the mistake I made, I didn't find work until about a good month after I landed here.

If its Boston your thinking off coming to, I can give you further info, like where to try for accomodation, what pubs to go to (keep in mind you have to be 21 to drink here, and yes, its enforced strongly). I can also give yo conatcs for removal companies to contact, but you'll need to act well before christmas if you want to get into removal, I was just lucky!

More than happy to help. Just ask!

memphis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i did the j1 a few years ago in nyc. loved every minute of it. just one piece of advice, dont spend too much time in irish bars. thats what ireland is for. we lived in an irish part of queens, but we tended to keep away from all the irish bars there, i dont think we saw the point of travelling several thousand km just to go hang out with more irish people. one of the few times we did go out in the irish bars there we recognised about five people from home, and had some random strangers come up to us "dont you live in blah blah".

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I'm looking for jobs as I type. I'd be really grateful for any info on Boston, it was right at the top of my list (with the irish connection and all!). I'm trying to arrange a job in San Diego for the first month/two and then moving on to Boston in late july/early august. Really appreciate the help, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Bostom is great. Full of irish as you well know.

I work with a removal company based in Charlestown (and on the Orange Subway Line). Its half Irish owned, name of it is Roadrunner Movers. You should try them. Give them an email (email address I will PM you).

If you need any other details just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

just back from san francisco. california is a great place for going on a j1, lots to see and do and the weather is perfect. very hard to get jobs in san francisco tho but if you do, its well worth the wait.
    the only reason it is hard to get a job from my experience is the delay in getting a social secutrity number which in my case took 2 months. some of my mates applied the same day as me and had theirs within a week. if you are the lucky ones who get out there early and the number comes through quickly you will get a job without a doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement