Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review of Sony Ericsson T610

Options
  • 24-08-2003 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hey, I thought I'd write this for anyone thinking about getting a Sony Ericsson T610 or even if you've got a new nokia and you're feeling fairly disappointed with it.. It highlights mostly the issues which are important to me, and the practical issues of using the phone.

I've been using the T610 for just over a week. I used to have a Nokia 8310 so I've been comparing the two most of the time. I've used a few different camera phones like the Sharp GX10, the Panasonic GD87 and the original nokia "plastic brick", so I'll be making similar comparisons. Initially, the T610 is remarkable in that it is very compact and small, and looks great. The build quality is great, the keypad looks good and feels responsive and firm. The menu system is great, but it can be slow, especially when dealing with text messages. The Sharp is much quicker in this respect. It also depends on the theme you're using. Writing an SMS with T9 is slow, and one annoying niggle is that whenever you make a spelling mistake, a message flashes up that the word is not in the dictionary, and this stays for about 2 seconds. No button presses can get rid of it so you have to wait. Its annoying.
    Interestingly, you can view and delete words that you have added to the T9 dictionary. You'd be surprised by some of the words that end up in there! Things speed up when you turn T9 off. Opening messages can also be slow, and as there's no indicator that the message is loading it seems very flakey. Although on the 8310 loading messages was also slow, at least you knew that it was loading. (The "Opening" screen). Sent messages are automatically stored in the Sent Items folder, and if you enable delivery reports then the envelope icon beside the message changes to a confirmation tick when delivery is confirmed. A very simple, logical approach that should have always been available on other older phones. Particularly nokias with their dumbass delivery reports that took the space of a text message.
    You can save plenty of text messages (about 100) and they don't count towards the 2mb memory. Unsent messages are automatically saved in Unsent Items. You can save important texts to a Sim Archive. Unlike the 8310, you can't have custom folders, but as I only used custom folders for saving notes and information, this doesn't matter that much to me.

The camera is pretty good quality, but there's one weird issue: when you take a picture, the image that freezes on the screen is not the picture that is saved, what you actually get is an image of what happened about a half a second afterwards. So sometimes a picture looks good initially, but then it can turn out blurry or the person blinks or something. Bizarre. So keep your hand still right after taking a photo. Also, each picture, large or small, takes up about 50kb of memory on the phone, but the image is only 15kb when transferred to computer. So you end up filling the 2mb memory fairly quickly. The saving grace here is that the t610 is very well connected: bluetooth and infrared. Browse the T610's memory from your bluetooth PC and copy over photos, ringtones and themes. And already there's quite an online community of T610 users, so there are loads of ringtones, themes and games available to download already. Taking pictures is pretty cool because you can also hold the phone in "landscape" mode, and the Camera button is conveniently placed, which is great for framing photos.

The web browser on the T610 is pretty good too, and it knocks the socks off my old 8310. WAP on the 8310 was completely crap, because connecting to GPRS took way too long, then you could only fit 2 or 3 lines of text. And it was sloooooooow. The T610 WAP browser has a great interface, and WAP pages are very easy to read. Colour makes a huge difference to readability. Checking my Hotmail on mymail.ie looks great and is fast. Its not possible to (easily) keep GPRS permanently connected on the T610 but this doesn't matter as connecting takes about half a second. I've found O2's GPRS response to be a little dodgy at times, when you just can't seem to connect. Happened with my 8310 too. You can download themes, pictures and ringtones directly to your phone from a variety of free wap sites also. (Check out tagtag.com). Issues with the WAP browser: there's a character limit on bookmark addresses, which prevents me from saving certain addresses which are longer than this limit, eg. The Cork cinemas page on O2. Also, there's a problem with mobile.msn.com so you can't use instant messaging. But think about it; you're browsing on a mobile phone. You can't get more instant than actually calling the person, or sending a text.

Call quality is better than my 8310, which suffered from the 8210 problem of clicking and hissing. I also like that the callers picture comes up when receiving calls. The same applies to text messages. The phonebook seems overly complicated to use in comparison to a Nokia, but you get over it. The Ericsson Call List format never used to work too well on older models (such as the T20) because of the small screen, but is very informative on the large screen of

Despite what I've read on the net, the screen is perfectly readable outdoors in the sunshine. Its obviously tougher to read than an old black/white screen, but is on par with other media phones like the Sharp and the Panasonic. The screen is quite bright, but not as bright as the Sharp. You can't change covers on the T610 though, which is slightly worrying as I'm waiting for the first scratch on the beautiful aluminium finish. There’s a nifty red light in the middle of the mini joystick which lights up when the battery is low, and also flashes with some ringtones. I would have liked the signal strength indicator to be a bit more visible though. As it is, its quite small and the signal seems to vary wildly even when you're not moving.

An email client is built in, and is very easy to use. However, there is a very short limit on the length of an email you can send, unless you send it by MMS. MMS allows about a thousand characters, but from what I guess the email client only allows maybe 200 or 250. You can, however, send attachments of pictures you've taken. For the most part, this works out cheaper than sending a picture to an email address with MMS. Especially if you have a GPRS inclusive price plan with o2. From what I can tell, Vodafone is quite pricey when it comes to GPRS.

The T610 has a fairly good calendar, but with one big hassle; you can't have events that repeat annually, ie birthdays. In this situation, when a birthday passes, you have to change the date to the next year. Notes can be saved and one can be posted to the standby screen. The calculator is not as easy to use as a Nokia, but you can download java alternatives.

The T610 supports Mophun games and Java 2 Mobile Edition. Mophun games seem fairly popular and there’s a good selection on the internet. Java performance isn't great on the T610, but for the majority of games its not a problem. There are dozens of J2ME software sites on the internet that provide free games and utilities, and again, these can be downloaded directly via WAP. There are apparently issues with socket support for Java apps that use these protocols to connect to the internet, such as Instant Messaging software. This could be updated in future firmware.

Ringtones sound good on the T610 and are adequately loud. You use MIDI files as polyphonic ring tones, and you should never have to pay for a ringtone as there are millions of MIDI files freely available on the net. Strangely, when you receive a call, a quiet telephone-like sound is emitted, then the ringtone fades in until it reaches full volume. This increasing-volume feature can't be turned off, and I suspect this is to save people from ridiculously loud ringtones and possibly damaging your hearing if the phone is near your ear. This could also be to save us from Nokia users and their Message Received tones at full volume on the bus. You can also change the Message Received tone on the T610. Vibration isn't as strong as my 8310, though you'll still feel it.

I found it a bit uncomfortable getting used to a Sony Ericsson phone at first, but after a week I have had no problems. Also, having used a T20 a few years ago I was already a little familiar with the format.

On paper, the T610 seems to have everything, and this is generally the case in practical terms. Of all the phones out at the moment that I’ve tried, this seems to combine the best of everything; small, built-in camera, Bluetooth, great screen, great looks, great price. I’d imagine that this phone will prove very popular, which would be great because then everyone can share ringtones, pictures, games etc via Bluetooth. As far as I know only Vodafone have plans to launch it in Ireland, and I’d be worried that Vodafone will disable the excellent sharing capabilities as they have in previous live! models. Even so, still a great phone. I’d hope to see this phone on O2 soon.

As a user of the T610, how would you describe it? 23 votes

Great!
    0% 0 votes
    Ok
    82% 19 votes
    Poor
    17% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great review... I bought this phone about 2 weeks ago, and I love it.

Apart from the niggling things you mentioned, I have one more problem with it - Battery Life. I had a Nokia 6610 before it, and I had to charge it every 6 days. With this, its every 3 or 4. Not a terrible complaint, but annoying if you're travelling.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jimhenson

Yeah battery life isnt as good as a nokia or t68i I find that the bluetooth tends to eat in to it, I use a bt headset. Its a great phone, but I think that the screen outdoors on a sunny day is unreadable.

Have you been to www.myt610.com they have lots of themes and ringtones etc for the phone also an unlocking a flashing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

A bit of an update to the review:

I was messing with a friends t610 that he got today from the same British company I ordered from, it was one with an older firmware than mine for some reason (even though he ordered it a week after I did). I checked the manufacture week (its under the battery on the unit) and it showed w31 (Week 31), which is actually the same as mine. You can tell the firmware by the default screensaver; the old firmware has a spinning cubes screensaver, which is not available with the newer firmware.

Some of the differences I noticed initially: the screen is a LOT dimmer on the older firmware, it was instantly noticable. Adjusting the contrast under settings makes everything lighter, not brighter. I would imagine that this makes the screen almost impossible to read outdoors. I must reiterate that I have no problem reading the screen on my newer firmware phone in the sunshine. (The recently passed good weather has proved this many times.) Also, menus are slower and tend to flicker a little. The shortcut buttons for the camera don't work either (press 1 to change image size, 2 for night mode, etc). If you want to check the firmware version for definite, then do this to go into service mode:
    on standby screen:
    joystick right
    press *
    joystick left
    joystick left
    press *
    joystick left
    press *
    go to service info, SW information.
    My firmware is R1L013. I'm not sure what the older phones are.

Yeah the battery life doesn't seem great, I suppose that would be on account of the screen. And its a hassle not being able to rely on finding a compatible charger in every household in the country (nokias are everywhere), so I'd say I'll have to get a car charger.

myt610.com is pretty good, also I'd say check out www.t610archive.com it seems to have lots of stuff.

Here's something interesting I found: to possible save a few cents on GPRS, go to Connectivity -> Data Comm. -> Data Accounts -> O2 GPRS (or your vodafone account) -> Edit -> Advanced Settings - > Data Compression and see if its On or Off. My default O2 setting was Off, unsurprisingly, and I suspect that compression turned on will mean smaller chuinks of data being sent and received (maybe 10%, maybe more?), which is nice. If anyone has any more info on this let me know. ie does compression really make a difference, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats a very well hidden menu! :)

My firmware is R1A081.

How do I upgrade to the latest?

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If you want to upgrade the firmware yourself, then as far as know you can get the firmware files and the uploading/flashing software from the net, but you can't flas the new firmware with bluetooth, infrared or the USB cable. You need one of the old serial cables. One I've seen mentioned is the old T28 data cable.

Of course, you could go to www.myt610.com, they have a flashing service there. I don't like the idea of sending off my phone, though. I'd say wait till the next firmware comes out, it might tackle some of the complaints people have (non repeating events in calendar, etc) and then it'd definitely be worth going to the trouble of upgrading the firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

I have R1A081 .
    Will I be able to upgrade to the latest firmware when O2 bring the phone out over here? Does the Carphone Warehouse (ire) or the O2 shops do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

i've always used fonefix.ie (sigma telecom) for ericsson and sony ericsson upgrades

their support for different handsets depends on operator support and length of time the (uk version) of the handset is available

one important thing to watch out (particularly as Voda look like they will launch it soon) is when you have you SIM free (not network locked/branded) handset flashed at a service centre that they don't apply the Vodafone version of the system to your handset (as happend to a few, very miffed people on the esato boards)

at CeBIT SE they mentioned plans to have service centres available at some of the Irish carphone warehouse stores (but that hasn't happened here yet, afaik - any cpw people to comment?)

hth,
    BrianG

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by wheresmybeaver
    If you want to check the firmware version for definite, then do this to go into service mode:
    on standby screen:
    joystick right
    press *
    joystick left
    joystick left
    press *
    joystick left
    press *
    go to service info, SW information.
    My firmware is R1L013. I'm not sure what the older phones are.

My Firmware is R3C002. Anyone know what the latest Firmware version is?

Also, are you able to use AIM on the phone? I was looking at the text labels in the service menu and there's load of AIM related Text Labels in there but I haven't seen anything about AIM on the phone?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by LFCFan

Also, are you able to use AIM on the phone? I was looking at the text labels in the service menu and there's load of AIM related Text Labels in there but I haven't seen anything about AIM on the phone?????

Yeah you can but it's network dependent by the looks of things.
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/227694-1.html

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My Firmware is R3C002. Anyone know what the latest Firmware version is?

Had my T610 updated by Fonefix as mentioned by Brian and its the same version as yours .

This was done 2 weeks ago , so you are fairly up to date .:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Where did you guys buy your T610's?

Ive found them on Ebay.co.uk , with some Buy-It-Now prices of £170-200stg +shipping.

But im a little reluctant to buy something over €100 off ebay unless they will do it COD.

Oh, and does the T610 have a built in Speakerphone??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Faltermyer
    Where did you guys buy your T610's?

Ive found them on Ebay.co.uk , with some Buy-It-Now prices of £170-200stg +shipping.

Nowt wrong with buying goods >£100 on ebay, just use paypal to pay and make sure they've good feedback.

I got my t610 on contract on o2 uk, I live in Belfast you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Got my T610 from ebay as well, its an unlocked Orange pre-pay one. I've managed to eradicate most of the Orange-branded stuff from it (including the logo below the keypad! - fingernails do the trick nicely), but I think to get rid of the rest of it (couple of menu items that bring you to orange's wap site, a few stupid preset pictures, etc) I think I would have to find somewhere to flash my handset with a sim-free version of the firmware.

Does anyone know anything about Unlocking the T610?

There are better deals available for locked T610's.

Gotten a few replies. None will do COD, but will take PayPal and have reasonably good feedback. One wanted £16stg shipping but that item has ended.. Pity, would have worked out at €285 all in...

Hunt continues...

Mine worked out at 275 euros after all the currency conversion/paypal charges/postage etc, a few months back.

Well, bids away... Just placed my bid on an Brand New(?), unlocked(from Orange) & unused(??) Sony-Ericsson T610.

Current bid £165 & I cant go much higher.... so fingers crossed...only 2hrs 45mins left! :)

Shipping will be £9. Seller doesnt mention an extra for using Paypal but im allowing for maybe 4% as thats what most seem to ask.

**EDIT** Got well outbid by some twat(A brand new member surprisingly....hmm....it would never be the seller trying to bump up the price could it??)

So Ive taken a Buy-It-Now option on an Orange locked T610 at £175stg +£4.50 shipping(seller had agreed in a mail to ship at that rate to here).

Ive been reading on those MyT610 forums and unlocking seems possible for less than ~$30 all in(for code Logs and the T28 cable)?? Or does anyone know anywhere reputable in Dublin that does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

Got my T610 from ebay as well, its an unlocked Orange pre-pay one. I've managed to eradicate most of the Orange-branded stuff from it (including the logo below the keypad! - fingernails do the trick nicely), but I think to get rid of the rest of it (couple of menu items that bring you to orange's wap site, a few stupid preset pictures, etc) I think I would have to find somewhere to flash my handset with a sim-free version of the firmware.

I got my Orange T610 in August and have been meaning to remove the orange logo since I got it. But it doesn't bother me that much so I haven't tried to get rid of it in case I just make it look worse.
    I've heard suggetions of people using nail varnish remover, but it come off clean with just your figer nails?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i saw the t610 for sale in the car phone warehouse in galway yesterday - for only €169 on upgrade/first time connection...

its a steal, its unreal, its sale of the **cking century

Vodafone contracts only though.

Not with a 2 Year Contract by any chance is it?

Looking forward to mine arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

lads im looking to get a t610 new
    for under 300
    links?

www.ebay.co.uk

Nowhere else you will get it for sub €300.

Expect to on average pay:
    ~ €250-280 for a locked, new one.
    ~ €270-€320 for a new Unlocked one.

Thats based on what ive seen over the past week anyway.

I ended up taking a Buy-It-Now option on a locked one. Its worked out at €272 shipped,tracked&insured.

Equipment(Data cable)&software(logs of some sort) to unlock/flash should be able to be got for ~$30. Im sourcing that this evening. Ill post up where I get it and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

My (reliable) sources inform me that the T610 will be available by the end of this week in both Vodafone prepay and postpay.

It will be a Vodafone Live Handset and will be approx €129 on contract and €249 on Ready to Go.

I will be getting one for sure.

Time already to get rid of my Sagem My-V65 I got last week !

Originally posted by v10
    It will be a Vodafone Live Handset and will be approx €129 on contract and €249 on Ready to Go.
    Bugger but that sounds cheap!!

€249 on Ready To Throw is pittens for such a phone!

I was hoping it would be like €400, if only just to make me feel better cos ive just paid €272 for one off Ebay Uk and its gona cost me another €30 to get the equip/codes to get it unlocked.

i think i will get it on ready to go so

In hindsight, that would have been what Id have done now(&then just gotten the Unlocking stuff), but, ive already PayPal'd my money.

It would have worked out €20 cheaper and Id KNOW the phone was definitely brand new.

How the hell are Vodafone going to sell it so cheap on Pre-Pay though? Its a cheap price for Post Pay for that matter too. I mean, if its going on Ebay UK for ~€250-320, prices there are usually about 25% less than Pre-pay prices here for most phones?

Also, compared to the Sagem MyX65 for only €50 less, this is a much higher class of phone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

although bear in mind how tweaked the T610 is going to be on Voda, compared to a direct SE unit...

BrianG

ya i might get it elsewhere
    as i h8 all the vodafone live customisation crap

Originally posted by DubWireless
    although bear in mind how tweaked the T610 is going to be on Voda, compared to a direct SE unit...
    Of course, but SE Center will put new firmware on it for you for free im told, which would clear all the Vodafone CRAP out of it would it not?

Or would it have to be flashed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

ordered one on vodafone.ie about 4hrs ago
    total cost 104euro - including delivery and a new 64k sim

happy days

Advertisement