Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distortion peddle's

Options
  • 24-08-2003 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Can anybody recommend a decent distortion peddle? Something really heavy, mid range quality ,like the early metallica sound i.e ride the lightening

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Well, a decent make of pedals is Boss. The DS-1 is supposed to be bloody good. Used by Vai and Satch amongst others. Then there's the Big Muff Pi which is pretty damn versitile. Used by Korn and Carlos Santana. Then there's loads of different distortion pedals. Just go in a guitar shop and ask to try some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I swear by the RAT, go for a standard RAT or a Turbo RAT if you can get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dave mustaine

Yeah i've played through the ds2 thats alright but I need something different everything sounds the same

Get a RAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

im on the look out for a new pedal as well. i have a Marshall jackhammer at the moment, pretty hard to get a good sound outta it so i think ill either ditch it or keep it as a back up. My guitar teacher had a RAT he swore by it too.. down Cork they are 90 euro, however about 2 months ago i saw a second hand one for 40 ...DOH !

• Advertisement

Dave, try the DS-1, not the 2. Nicer.

And don't forget about the classic Ibanez TubeScreamer!!

Above all, just try some in a shop.

You can get rats online at www.music123.com for cheap enough. well worth it thouhg. has an individual sound to it and a great range. Tube screamers are nice but have a more bluesy tone, kinda light crunchy disortion on a beefed up clean channel sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 dave mustaine

Thanks guy's, I was about to buy a left hand ibanez from music 123 but I did'nt want to be waiting weeks for it. Have you ever got anything from them? if so how long did it take?

I think they're supposed to be ok but don't forget Guitar Trader. Cheap and supposed to be pretty decent delivery times although delivery is about $100-$200

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Hey sound awve whats your teachers name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i have a boss metal zone (mt-2) and i think it brilliant. the 4 eq knobs actually work. I found it didn't work too well on solo though. Got a boss ge-7 (graphic equalizer) and it sounds super.
    Harmony-central.com has equipment reviews and tonedepot.com has suggested pedal settings so....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

The rat rules. Only buy Russian Big Muffs. The DS-1 doesn't have enough volume, I find.

They have rats in Goodwins on Capel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

Actually, screw all that. Get a Boss X-tortion. Sickest goddamn pedal I ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

The BOSS DS-1 or an Ibanez Tube Screamer are your best bet. The DS-1 is very versatile & is used by alot of guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & others - the Tube Screamer is also a GREAT pedal - Kirk Hammett Of Metallica is quite fond of them - wish I hadn't sold my tube screamer......... OR - if you have some cash to spend..... a Bixonix Expandora - these pedals are just INSANE - you can get a HUGE variety of tones from it - from light fuzz to total balls-to-the-wall distortion - the favored pedal of ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons..... FAB pedal to own!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

i bit the bullet today...bought a RAT. all i can say is amazing! it sounds so so sweet now i can kick the ****e Jackhammer outta my rig...

its perfect for everything. smooth for blues and dirty/fuzzy enough for... well..dirty/fuzzy music. Classic pedal!!

Mongo my teachers name was Zav. he was french and a very sound guy. An old skool rocker. i wanted to learn Nirvana but he was like " No No No...You learn Crazy Train..." like i said sound guy!

Advertisement