Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only in Ireland...

Options
  • 21-08-2003 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

...can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.
    ...do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their paracetamol etc. while perfectly healthy people can buy cigarettes up front.
    ...do people order double cheeseburgers, large chips and a Diet Coke.
    ...do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counter.
    ...do we leave cars worth thousands of euro in the driveway and store our junk in the garage.
    ...do we use 'Politics' to describe the process of the government, 'poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'blood-sucking creatures'.
    ...do we live by the saying "You're never too p***ed if you can still find the floor.".
    Stand proud.

Feel free to add anything else you can think of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that was in the daily star about 4 days ago exept for when you said only in ireland the star had only in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I guess it's everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

...do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their paracetamol etc. while perfectly healthy people can buy cigarettes up front.

That's funny because it's true (and I hadn't noticed it before).

The rest could apply to many countries, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their paracetamol etc. while perfectly healthy people can buy cigarettes up front

Only in Ireland do sick people go to the supermarket instead of the doctors or chemist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

only in Ireland would people attack fake cows. The cow parade was an international free art exibition where business' sponsered cow sculptures for charity. What type of sick pr1ck vandilises a charity event?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    that was in the daily star about 4 days ago exept for when you said only in ireland the star had only in america.

My dad e-mailed it to me about a year ago, he got it off a friend, who got it off a friend, who got it off a friend etc. So I take it that it's everywhere by now, even in *shudders* the Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Only in Ireland do we have a town called Irishtown. You dont see an Americatown in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

No, you see a New York 'town' in New York :p

There's a town called American Corner in Maryland. I'm sure it's not the only american corner, unless they have round 'blocks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Only in Ireland....
    .......does a politican marry off his child to a B rate celebraty in a misguided attempt at bring himself closer to the youth of his country
    .......does a "democratic" government make its people re-vote an referendum because it didn't agree with the first out-come (at least in America they have the balls to fix the election and results)
    .......do people object to a law to benift the health of non-smokers and incourages smokers to give up something that is bad for them (in California there was no big movement by officials in the proposing party to stop the ban!)
    .......do we wait to see what schemes fail in Europe and the UK so we can implement them here (ie: Ballymun flats, privatisation of public sectors)

and oh so many more.

only in Ireland could we have the fleadh. I'm not talking about the fact that were on of the few countries that still play native tradisional music but the fact that we can fit 250,000 people into little rural villages and turn a blind eye to ppl as young as 15 going on a 7 day piss up!
    Jesus its great

• Advertisement

Only in Ireland is morality taught as an exam subject.

Only in Ireland is morality taught as an exam subject.
    I have an exemption because I'm a Jedi Knight, try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    No, you see a New York 'town' in New York :p

There's a town called American Corner in Maryland. I'm sure it's not the only american corner, unless they have round 'blocks'.
    And in America they also have a town called 'Birmingham', but unlike the UK where they call themselves Brummies, these folks decide they want to be called 'Birminghamians'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

traffic lights on roundabouts..

people allowed drive home after failing thier driving test..

Govn't prompting e-business by imposing credit card taxes and finishing second last to Venezuela (attemped coup / nationalisation of oil industry etc. etc.) in oecd in e-readyiness.

criminals can run down kids in cars and the DPP do nothing

a politician on the public accounts commitee can be sent to prison three times and still be allowed to blatently ignore the tribunal into him..

will a judge give someone several years in prison for stealing a handbag and allow a drunk drive killer walk out on compasionate grounds

would said drunk drive killer not keep away for a decent amount of time

a referendum be passed to ban abortion - but allow people information and to travel to other countries ...

a bill on adoption be blocked because it did not provice for the adoption of married couples under the age of 18 (!) and the person most resonsible for the obstrufucation introcude a bill to raise the mininimum marrige age to 18 anyway....

would most of the millenium monuments be finished afterwards..

would a tunnel be built too small

would a mass transit system have to yield right of way to the cars it's supposed to be replacing

( but you gotta hand it to England - who do you complain to about the fact they have only one monopolies comission ? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Only in Ireland (i hope)
    Would a rapist get 4-6 years in jail while the kid he got pregnant risk getting 12-14 years having an abortion. :(

Would people choose large poluting dumps instead of up to date incineration plants and recycling. :confused:

And last, Only in Dublin would a large "spire" be build to serve no real purpose and not even have a single antenna like any other famous landmarks around the world, but i gues it does give the drunks something to aim for on the way home! :D

only in Ireland would we vote for a shower of criminals(FF), tell our neighbouring countries to do business with another shower of criminals(SF) and then complain about people voting for a criminal who has served his time and is now rehabilatated(Ferris).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

i think one of the stupidist things about this country is that people that are to stupid to pass ther driving tests are still aloud to drive on our roads.oh and at 70 u have to take an eye test every 5 years.how is that supossed to make us feel safe .in five years those people will be dead what good is an eye test then!
    oh and bertie ahern he is the worst taiseach ever .millions on a fuc*ing spike and thers peoples sleeping in the halls in our cruddy hospitals.
    sorry got carried away guess the humors gone oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ALL politicians r crap so its unfair to single out the current crap ones who happen to be in power, itll b the same regardless whos in power until some working class people who have experienced life get some power, but as we all know this will never happen

fot for da hesh aka Joe McCormac. He'll put airports on the bog more bangardi on the streets, keep ballyfin school open, etc,etc
    "We need to find jobs for the unemployed, feed the homeless, shoe the footless,......"
    Actual quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭pyramid man

Originally posted by Scarlett
    ....do order double cheeseburgers, large chips and a diet Coke.

sorry but that is only women. men order a COKE. we dont care about our weight in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭anarchy

only in ireland would you have a message board thread going on about 'only in ireland' with lots of moaning and whining about how shiatty this country is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and even then the only supplier of consumer lines still fails to meet that derisory target...

Do drivers talk about miles per gallon - when petrol is sold in litres and distance signs are in kilometers

(a old one)
    Does milk come in two sizes - 1litre and 568ml

Do pubs get to charge more for soft drink than for alcoholic drinks (even though the tax on alcohol is about the highest in the world)

If you take into account the top rate of PAYE / PRSI , VAT , VRT , Car Tax - do people have to earn four times the amount the car dealer charges to put a car on the road.

Does car insurance cost more than cars (over the life of the car, and based on the price ex VAT) and despite the fact that the car insurance companies made more profit than a country ten times the size do the insurance companies complain about how tough things are...

Shut up. Thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

Ireland rocks, you suck,
    whooowowowoowooo
    Sure do wish our young ones were a bit sluttier though.

Sure do wish our young ones were a bit ######## though
    If the girls in my school were any more ######## their jumpers would be longer than their skirts:D

Yeah, I'd have to object to Meadow's comment too, a lot of the girls I know are too slutty, Irish girls need more dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

sorry my last statement needs refining.
    the sentence:

"Sure do wish our young ones were a bit sluttier though"

should have read:

"Sure do wish our fit young ones were a bit sluttier though"

apologies for the confusion.

Advertisement