Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap flights to NY on Sept 11th?

Options
  • 21-08-2003 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I had this bright idea that I'd fly to New York on September 11th and come back a couple of days later, thinking that flights would be empty and therefore really cheap.

So I went to ebookers.ie only to find the lowest fare was over €1300!!! Now even on a normal day that is an extraordinarily high fare. So after a while searching around, the cheapest I could find is still just over €1000, and thats travelling through Heathrow.

What's going on? Am I mad to expect cheaper flights on that day? Does it not work like that? And can anyone find a cheaper flight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

possibly fewer flights that day - then prices go up.
    ollie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Found a price via Philidephia for €736 for 2 people return to New York on www.gohop.ie with US Airways if thats any good to ya..

There were 3 options, none were direct flights.. but all were to Leguardia (sp?) Airport..

Also found flights, from Dublin to JFK New York via Heathrow for €1100 return for 2 people with all taxes and charges included...

Thats with British Airways from www.ba.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Usuaully around Jan 1st is cheapest time to fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

At the risk of appearing blase, lightning doesn't strike twice. Why would you think you would get cheap flights/.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The last 2 years the fights have been very cheap on that date. There were internal coast to coast flights in the US for $1 and international flights into NY for under €300 as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks for the info guys. Those flights with gohop.ie are what I was looking for exactly.
    At the risk of appearing blase, lightning doesn't strike twice. Why would you think you would get cheap flights/.

Good point. I could imagine that quite a alot of people would still be nervous about flying on such a significant date. There most definitely are people out there who do think that it could happen again on an anniversary date. However, I'm sure that there are otheres like me, who presume for no particular reason that flights might be cheaper that day, and it is these people who are probably creating extra demand and keeping the prices up!

I've flown to New York twice since 2001, and you can hear people getting nervous and gittery as the plane nears New York. I know lots of people who still think that when they drive up the North that they will probably be blown up or shot. And that can actually make them not want to travel there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Try from shannon. I got one via London for €569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I am flying the 11th of September as well...... I believe the level of security service will be very high and will be actually safer flying that day more than any other......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

I am flying the 11th of September as well...... I believe the level of security service will be very high and will be actually safer flying that day more than any other......

Advertisement