Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many BBC's

Options
  • 21-08-2003 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Why are there so many BBC's? I know that BBC Scotland and Wales show some regional football but why is there different BBC's for different parts of England?

Also, is there any way to see what is on each channel on other channels because it doesn't have a schedule?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi eireboy,
    Look at any of them and you'll see why!!!
    Look here and you can see whats on. Hope this has been some help!!!

PS I love the way they all go back to London at the same time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The National BBC regions, i.e. BBC 1 and 2 for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, have a good deal of unique programming.

But for the BBC 1 Regions for England, the only difference is the local news during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eireboy
    Also, is there any way to see what is on each channel on other channels because it doesn't have a schedule?
    Not on Other Channels. If you turn your card upside down, turn the box off and on again you'll get the FTA EPG and will see all regional variations of the BC frm 941 onwards.

They mostly differ in the evening news. BBC Scotland fiddle around with the schedule far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thrillseeker

If you check the "What's On" section of the excellent BBCi text service you can see if there are regional variations of BBCNI, BBC Scotland and BBC Wales. These are listed at the end of the program listings for the standard BBC1 and BBC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

One thing that gets up my nose is when people refer to the BBC's "eight digital channels"

There are only SIX digital channels. CBBC and CBeebies is just what they choose to call BBC3 and 4 during the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭omathuna

I have a FTV card. Can I get CBBC and CBeebies? If yes, how?
    I have BBC3 and BBC4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

EPG Channel 616 and 617. (When did they change?)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by Mike 1972
    One thing that gets up my nose is when people refer to the BBC's "eight digital channels"

There are only SIX digital channels. CBBC and CBeebies is just what they choose to call BBC3 and 4 during the day

They share channel as they don't have enough programming for more.

(More of an arguement for 24/7 programming of Cbeebies than you can imagine if you DON'T have a toddler. They'll even like it better if it repeats every 4 hours)

The reality is some indefinable space bwteen 6 and 8 that does not involve real numbrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by omathuna
    I have a FTV card. Can I get CBBC and CBeebies?

you don't need a FTV card anymore to watch any of their tv services or to listen to any of their radio stations. all FTA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

BBC3 is hardly a channel at all. It's just a bunch of repeats and repackaged gossip.

The BBC were better when they concentrated their money on two channels, rather than spreading it over many channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Im inclined to agree BBC1 especially has gone down the tubes in the last few years although BBC4 is a fairly decent channel

most of the new BBC radio channels seem to be duplicating the existing services i.e.
    BBC Radio One - 1 XTRA
    BBC Radio 2 - 6 Music
    BBC Radio 4 - BBC 7
    BBC 5 Live -Sports Extra
    rather than attempting to cater for listeners who arent served by existing stations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

6 Music is fairly unique. It caters to a much younger audience than Radio 2 and plays the alternative music the Radio 1 doesn't bother to play anymore. I think 6 Music is a good example of a radio station that has found its niche.

I'd say 6 Music is closest to Xfm in terms of format.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

They mostly differ in the evening news. BBC Scotland fiddle around with the schedule far more.

Wait 'til the summer programming ends - the Nations mostly go their own way from 10:35 onwards.

Advertisement