Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY REMOTE, CHANNEL 4 and Software encryption

Options
  • 20-08-2003 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

My SKY Blue standard remote need battery almost every month,
    its not under warranty now...
    any idea why is that???

also, i can't receive channel4 on my sky.

plus is there a way to unlock the Digibox from sky encryption.....

mine digibox is more then 2 year old now
    thanks i advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm afaik you could never get channel 4 on sky anyway

but i might be wrong since i'm a newbie to sky digital

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

one of my friend in NAAS is actually getting this i dont know even he doesn't know either. i know he is not a unknown to terms of setalite as he does some setting like astra 2d but he doesn't have any idea how does he is getting Channel and ITV2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by divyaksharma
    i know he is not a unknown to terms of setalite as he does some setting like astra 2d but he doesn't have any idea how does he is getting Channel and ITV2
    He's probably one of the few that has been set up with settings for a UK subscription by mistake. They're few but they are out there. He's not doing anything funny with astra 2d - this just happens to be the satellite that BBC and ITV (not C4) transmit on. Does he get RTE, TV3 and TG4 on channels 101-104 on his box? If not, if he's getting BBC1/2/ITV/C4 on these channels then he's defniitely been set up with the settings for a UK subscription.

I've no idea what you mean by removing Sky encryption from your digibox. The encryption is handled by the card. If you mean "how do I hack the super box to get free Sky", you can't. And we wouldn't discuss such activities here even if you could.

Cr3m0's right. Channel 4 has never been available to Irish subscribers on an Irish subscription. Some people (including me) have BBC-issued free to view cards which give them ITV, C4 and C5 (plus the BBC channels which are of course free now) when they play a game of switching cards with their Irish sub cards every time they want to watch one of these channels. These cards are no longer being issued.

With regard to your remote, are you using cheap batteries? Are some of the buttons stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Hi thanks for reply

first of all yes,,,my friend has no RTE and other channels..so he is set up to UK subs.....

Secondly i did not mean to hack SKY card...was just curios abt the digibox..i thought these box comes from company and i was just comparing difference between a FREE TO AIR DIGI BOX from CURRYS.....
    anyway....

sky remote i am using nomal battery,,, i will try to change the new good duracell battery now...
    and there is no button stuck..all are ok..
    anyway thanks for your mail
    i got almost all the answers

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by divyaksharma
    i thought these box comes from company and i was just comparing difference between a FREE TO AIR DIGI BOX from CURRYS.....
    The entire design of the digibox is designed to tie you to Sky. I'm half-surprised the Other Channels feature was ever added at all, half-arsed that it is. The chip that handles the decryption is soldered to the motherboard.

If you're after free to view channels you're better off with a good FTA box - order your own channels, see FTA channels blocked on the digibox and no channels you don't want/have clogging up the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It was a legal requirement. AFAIK it would have been illegal to sell in EU without "Other Channels"

Advertisement