Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy way to access BBC FTA Channels ??

Options
  • 20-08-2003 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

On Sky Digital is there an easier way to access the BBC FTA channels than going to Services\Other Channels. Can they be added as favorites or access like the other channels?

Also does anyone know of a 'back' or 'channel return' button on the Sky Digital remote, it's a real pain having to enter the number each time to flick between stations?

I am new to using the Sky Digital system so excuse my ignorance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hi por,

Welcome along.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to access the extra BBC channels. Other Channels is the way to go.

You can access them from the main EPG if you take your viewing card out of the digibox and put it back in upsidedown, however you will only have access to the BBC channels (and some other unencrypted ones). You will loose RTE 1, Net 2, TV3 and TG4 and none of the Sky channels will work while the card is upsidedown.

At the moment there is no "Last Channel" button. People have been screaming for it for ages so Sky may introduce it in a software update at some stage. Don't worry about it too much though, you'll get very fast a switching between channels after a while :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

There is a way - but you'll have to fork out some cash though! I bought a Mosaic OneforAll remote from richer sounds in Belfast with a credit card over the phone £65 stg inc p+p Belfast (048) 90 321332-the Dublin franchise went bust about 6 months ago.
    This is a very good price - available elsewhere on the net for £120. Also just spotted this on Ebay - but says will only post to UK http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042109179&category=298

It's very versatile for the price and I programmed a macro to access the other channels list at the touch of a button. I didn't bother programing buttons for the inidividual bbc channels but it should be easy.

For some reason it wasn't able to learn the services button (also not included in the device code or net upgrade) and I had to use guide-right-right to get to the services menu. If you are programming the macro for the bbc channels you have to insert a delay between each step as the Sky box seems to get confused if the IR signals come too fast. I've also programmed a record button for the VCR on the SKY screen on the remote and an all devices on and off macro. It needs its 4 xAA batteries replaced every 6-8 weeks so buy some rechargables or the docking station.

At the moment I'm using it to control a Philips VCR. Pioneer 5.1 amp and a Cyberhome DVD player.

See http://www.remotecentral.com/director/index.html for an exhaustive review (it's called the One For All Director URC-9900 in the USA).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can buy a second FTA satellite receiver for less than £120 Stg!

Then (unlike sky) you only load the channels you want and give them whatever numbers you want. (FTA only).

I don't watch sport and buy DVDs rather than Pay for Sky Movies or Box Office, so I have the UK EPG (no subscription).

You ned to unplug from mains for upside down card to work (and taking it out reverts at once to ROI EPG).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Bought a brand new FTA receiver for 115 euro for the father-in-law today.:)
    Tested it when I got home "you can even pause the visual image" and no red dot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by watty
    You can buy a second FTA satellite receiver for less than £120 Stg!

Less than that Watty:D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Where can I get a cheap FTA receiver? I have a dish on the side of the house, but no box. Its wired into 3 rooms, and I don't want any of the sky channels.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement