Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government wants new rules on BSkyB

Options
  • 20-08-2003 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just came across this on the RTE web site:
    http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/0820/comreg.html

Paddy.

--

Communications Minister Dermot Ahern has signalled that he intends to press for new EU rules which would allow satellite broadcasters such as BSkyB to be regulated in Ireland.

Under proposals put forward by him, such broadcasters would come under the jurisdiction of member states into which they provide targeted television channels that are meant for reception only in that member state.

The suggestions are contained in a submission to an EU Commission on the Review of the Television Without Frontiers Directive, which is currently underway.

Minister Ahern has promised to press for a 'fundamental review' of the directive during Ireland's EU presidency, which starts in January 2004.

He described Television Without Frontiers as 'worthy' but said it needed to be amended to keep pace with broadcasting changes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Odd wording. Sky is not aiming it's service only at the Irish State...unless he's only concerned about the Irish-aimed ad's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sky do target television channels just at Ireland. RTE, Network 2, TV3 and TG4. Not counting the 'Irish versions' of Sky Channels, E4, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by PaddyFagan
    The suggestions are contained in a submission to an EU Commission on the Review of the Television Without Frontiers Directive, which is currently underway.
    Anyone know anything about this?

(I'm ignoring Dermot's "when Ireland is President" as he may not understand the relative lack of power that confers on the lucky country)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it needs a card/sub from Sky to get it, sold in Ireland then it is "targeted" to Ireland. It is not relevent that the exact same channel might be targeted at London too.
    So while SkyNews, E4, Sky1 have Irish versions (for ads), only received on Irish Card and RTE1, Net2, TV3 and TG4 can only be got on Irish card, basically I think if you are sold a subscription to an Irish Address, there must be an Irish Element of Regulation.

So it should apply to ABSat and any other who sell direct to Ireland. ("Imported" Sub cards don't count as there is the fiction that the service is not sold to an Irish Address).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 strettie1

But what benefit will the regulation of Sky give us the customer ????

I can currently get from Sky top quality reception in any part of the country, interactive services, any number of channels

Yet some of the "regulated " cable companies continue to offer a way below par service, less channels, very poor reception, very few interactive services ???

I need convincing about regulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by strettie1
    I need convincing about regulation
    So do I with regard to this. And as anyone who notices my regular posts will have seen, I'm rather a fan of firm regulation for consumer protection in small economies like the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

It makes no sense to regulate sky, whats to regulate, im very happy with the service, only thing id be happier about is interactive E4, but i can live without it, I get crystal clear sound and vision, when the cable goes off i still have all the channels on satellite.

So whats the point

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

will regulation bring any form of income to the government?
    if yes
    Originally posted by shinzon
    It makes no sense to regulate sky

of course they will want to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    will regulation bring any form of income to the government?
    if yes

of course they will want to do it

You know what this means, Regulation will mean higher subscription prices to sky Ireland subscribers

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭maisflocke

Regulation will mean higher subscription prices to sky Ireland subscribers

Shin

....... and maybe an overdue FTV card scheme for the national channels :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

....... and maybe an overdue FTV card scheme for the national channels

That offer I would only take up if my UK FTV card continued to work. I can live without RTE/TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It makes no sense to regulate sky, whats to regulate, im very happy with the service, only thing id be happier about is interactive E4, but i can live without it, I get crystal clear sound and vision, when the cable goes off i still have all the channels on satellite.

So whats the point

Shin

By that logic:
    Businesses shouldn't post accounts to Company house
    Anyone can drive without Licence or Insurance
    Anyone can Power up a TV or Radio station without a licence.

ANYTHING that:
    * Affects a lot of people
    * Involves media broadcast to Ireland
    * Sells in Ireland

MUST be regulated.

To take extreme point, if Stalin was running Sky the picture and sound would be just as good.

Yes, the Cable / MMDS a major issue is complete lack of technical quality, but OTHER issues are price, package makeup, contract rules (are they fair), subsidies, phone line requirements etc.

For Example:
    At present Sky can decide which package and price the four Irish TV channels are in. No-one in Ireland can even influence this.

The Digibox is designed to foster a Monopoly. Why can't it take other suppliers cards, it's my box, not Sky's. (I know the Answer).

Why can't I use a Combo TV/Satellite Receiver (Digital TV) or a combo DVD-RAM / DVD player / Hard Disk / Satellite receiver Recorder (I know the answer to these too).

Is it reasonable If I buy a Sky+ and only have FTA I still have to "rent" recording? No non-Sky Satellite recorder requires ongoing rental, but you can't put the Sky Pay card in, only FTA or other suppliers pay cards.

These are marketing / regulation issues. None are technical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭Genghis

There are other issues also:

1. Every other broadcaster in Ireland - from Highland Radio to RTE1 Television is obliged to have a licenece to broadcast - why should Sky be any different?

2. They are using a spectrum to sell a service (this potentially limits anyone else in the country using it).

3. The government cannot regulate content on Sky - for example, ads for alcoholic spirits are deemed unacceptable in Ireland, but if Sky chose to accept them, and broadcast them, technically the Irish government couldn't stop them. Likewise, mature content etc, the watershed etc is all unenforceable.

Advertisement