Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web based RPGs

Options
  • 19-08-2003 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

Anyone know or can suggest any good browser based rpg's running on php and mysql ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

i had a few bookmarked on my PC at home i'll try and dig em out for you tomorrow rev see if i can find em for you give me a day or two i'll see what i can find

anything in paticluar your looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dont actually have any one in mind, but looking for one which provides source etc.
    Trying to avoid usual starships/trading things. Had a quick look at phprpg but thats kind of incomplete and a bit buggy.

well there is epoch its an online war game tpye thing its a starship trading game but i believe its open source

the website is http://www.planetepoch.com/

its a good place to start Email the admin's they should be able to send you the code i'll dig up the rest tonight and post em tomorrow hopefully

Found one, The Legend of the Green Dragon

Just for a trial I've put it up on a small webbie.

http://www.darkkeep.com/logd

going to take a look at the one above later.

hmm that one (logd) seems a tad crap. Any one got other suggestions. Something risk like without spaceships maybe

Then again maybe some of you guys might like it.

• Advertisement

It was an ok game i beta tested it for a while but i lost interest in the end.

spaceship battles arent really my scene like RPG's mostly
    as i said i'll see what i can find.

does it have to be web based? you could always go for MUD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

I was playing a sort of "risk-like" on line game a couple of years ago that I eventually had to delete off my machine 'cos I was getting absolutely no work done!!

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it again...

the way it worked was that you put out a challenge for people to play against you on one of a (very) large selection of maps. You got to choose how many opponents you wanted to play against and once the required number accepted the challenge the game began. You began with a certain amount of money with which you could buy weapons, building equipment, transport, troops etc. Then it was a matter of wandering around the map (all graphical and quite neat) building roads, capturing villages, building factories etc and eventually bumping into the other people and trying to kill them.

It was very simple to play and totally adictive.

I think it was called something-Knight.....not sure, I'll try to find it again anyway

I havent tried any of these so im not sure if there any good or not but here goes:

Web based Fantasy RPG:

http://www.sryth.com/

This one is think is still in Devlopment by the look of it

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dkrpg/

I cant find the last link but here is the all the info i found out about it:

http://www.prowler-pro.com/aboutus/

there's more but it will take time to dig up
    hope this is what you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Been playing quite a bit of LoGD over the last couple of days.
    The more I play it, the more I seem to enjoy it. How long this will last is anyones guess, but for the moment, it's great.

Would be nice if there were a few others to chat to ingame though! ;)

Must say I agree, wasnt to fond of it at the start but as you said it seems to grow on u.

• Advertisement

LoGD?????

Hmmm...this game closely resembles a bucket of poo. Not your regular poo either, the sloppy embarrassing stuff you have accidents with and won't tell your mates about.

Oh yes, you know the type of poo I'm talking about.....

oooooo i see

well i signed up for it i'll try playing it for a few weeks and see
    im not the greatest fan of online RPG's but ive ran a fair few PBEM's im open minded

weather it smells like a giant pile of cut-me-own throat dibblers nuterient enriched poo or not remains to be seen

Of course, my comments are only my opinion you understand and one man's meat is another man's smelly poo and all that....

Perhaps I am just picky but I was not enticed

i agree Specky first impressions of the site/game are not the best in fact they almost put my off the game but i took Rev's advise and stuck with it as it doesnt seem that bad!

But as you said yourself one man's meat is another mans pile of smelly.....eerrgghh (cough) i think i'll stop now there's way to much fixation on poo for my liking!

Maybe it's just that I have a very short attention spa.....

...ooo look, paper clips

Right i've played it and truthfully its a good first attempt at a web based RPG game it is only in beta so we'll give it that!

some of the fights are WAAAAAY to hard. and it would be a very good game if you could get alot of people playing it at the same time, limited game turns per day also is a tad annoying but that seems to be the case for most web based games of today

good points i like the whole you can reserrect yourself if you can win favour with the lord of the underworld so even if you die in the waking world you still get a 2nd chance to bring youself back to life ive done it twice already myself. im at level 3 already of one day playing the game so its nice to see you can fly up levels fast

all in all its good and enjoyable game if you want to waste a few hours in work, but does need some work on it, all around value gameplay tho id suggest you try a MUD instead.

I've changed my mind.

The game sucks on a level that i cant even begin to comprahend!
    i mean once you get past level 4 you get wiped out EVERYTIME you go looking for something to kill in the forest you have to go slumming JUST so you can get some Exp and gold which is no way near enough to get you the better weapons and armour that you need.

the game needs ALOT of work it has the potential to be VERY good however the combat system Deffinatly needs to be overhauled in a BIG BIG way, also the price of stuff could be a little cheaper im gonna mail the Admin peeps and tell em i was actually enjoying the game up until you hit level 4 cos then you get wiped out!!

Specky sits back in his chair with his hands behind his head, raises his eyebrows and tries not to look smug.....

....isn't this always the problem with computer based RPGs though? When you've exhausted the possibilities that were written into the game you're left hoping there will be some human interraction to keep it interesting.

Good AI can compensate for this but good AI is rare in games that didn't have a high development budget.

Similarly, amateur developed games or those not developed with the kinds of budgets requred to develop mainstream commercial games these days just don't have the breadth to keep them interesting.

Hmmm......that's jut given me an idea......probably been done before but I'm not telling anyone else about it until I've made sure....:cool:

• Advertisement

I was looking for something with more user interaction, so as before any more suggestions.

I can't find the game I mentioned earlier, I doubt it's dead 'cos there were hundreds of people playing all over the world. More likely I'm just looking in the wrong places....pity 'cos it was ALL user interaction and very "risk-like"....just can't remember what it was called and googling has so far produced no leads....

...sorry

As specky said rev there arent many user interaction web based RPG games out there, they just dont have the cash to devlop somethint like that

what your looking for are M.U.D's (multi user dungeons)
    if your at work your companys firewall might not let you get access to them (oh ho geek talk) but i can post a link that has the best mud list thats avaiable there are THOUSANDS of MUD's avaiable

RPG games and have actual players on line all the time that you can chat to all the time and play with (join there party and go adventuring with)

M.U.D's are what your looking for but again if your at work you might no be able to access em

you want me to post the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I can understand your thinking regards that LoGD game, Al][en, but I can only speak from my own viewpoint. At level 8, I do find a lot of the fights difficult, although I have managed to upgrade my weapon and armour almost every level so far.

The bank is your friend, as is the run button.

I agree that most of the gameplay is exhausted by level 4. Whatever specials that happen occassionally entering the forest, seem to just repeat themselves, nothing new happening there. I acquired enough gems to buy a pony, but that has given me no bonus whatsoever, infact it only seems to hinder play when it needs grazing time in the forest and i lose a turn. (????)

All that's keeping me going is to see what happens when (if!) I get to kill the green dragon (dun dun dunnnn). Once that's done, I don't think I'll be playing much more of it.

To get back to the other web-based RPG's out there. Another one that I used to play, was Race War Kingdoms. It's actually a lot better than LoGD, where players can create kingdoms and war against each others kingdoms, as well as the usual xp'ing for levels against NPC's. But, what I can see from the way it's set up, the admin makes some money from it (players buying in-game creds for $$$'s over paypal), so he is hardly likely to want to give out the source code, but ya never know.

True.

I agree with you in that respect hats off the the Admin poeple at LoGD they did a fine job and it is only in beta as i said before, all games have there minor quirks, i go genuinly like the game it seems to have alot going for it,

i was just a little tired and annoyed this morning i spent 3 actual turns in the forest this morning and got killed each time i went back into the forrest i then had to spend a further 2 hours in total getting enough torments to reserruct myself again and again, i have to admit that it is a very good idea that just because you are killed doesnt mean you are totally dead you soul still has a chance to reserruct itself i applaude that its a original idea

but i does annoy me that the fights are WAY to hard. gamers dont want that as after a while it becomes repetitve and boaring a little if the fights were a little more easier then the game would be quite cool,

Advertisement